shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, can you offer some insight and opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been dating my GF for almost 4.5 years. We''ve never lived closer than we do now and we are still almost 1.5 hours away from each other. We both travel weekends to see each other and we often make short/weekend get aways. Because of our history, she isn''t going to suspect anything with my plan.
Every year that we''ve been dating we sneak off for a ski trip weekend, just the 2 of us. Last year she learned how to snowboard so, she''s excited to get out again. Towards the end of March we are planning our yearly get away. We''ll be leaving on Wednesday (after work) and returning on Sunday.

Here come the questions:
1. We won''t be arriving at our condo until after 10pm. I''m conflicted by 2 things here. It might be late to get settled in and arrange the proposal. However, I think she would love to has as much of the weekend as possible with her ring (and being engaged)
1.gif
Thoughts?

2. I know she would prefer a private proposal. With that in mind, would a secluded hill side proposal (where I could hire someone to secretly take pictures) or a bottle of wine by the fire place, intimate and personal be better (pictures wouldn''t be an option here). I always snowboard with a back pack for snacks, dry clothes etc... She wouldn''t suspect anything.

3. Do women wish they had photos to capture the moment?

4. Is a morning proposal as romantic as an evening proposal? She''s not really a morning person but I''m sure she would get over that with breakfast-in-bed and a proposal.

5. Do women prefer to be picture ready for engagements? Would you be concerned that you are in snowboard attire or just waking up because you aren''t ''done up''?

Any thoughts would be great!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be tired after arriving late night and would rather not have a proposal then. (I''d certainly accept and be happy, it just wouldn''t be my ideal)

In your room with the fireplace would be really romantic and private. If you go this way, you should let her sleep in a little bit, brush her teeth, and walk out to find breakfast next to the fireplace. (I would hate to be distracted with thoughts about how my breath smelled). You might even suggest a nice relaxing bath before breakfast.

On the side of the hill while having a nice snack or lunch would be a great personal touch since this is something you share. Instead of your regular snacks, you might pack something a little extra special (chocolates, a rose, hot chocolate, etc. -- whatever she likes).

Either option sounds sweet. I don''t know enough about her to favor one over the other. Each has benefits. I don''t know if having pictures of the actual proposal is hugely important. The most important thing is that it is special for the two of you.

I''m expecting my proposal to happen in a little over a week and can''t decide if I''d prefer in our room with a fireplace and amazing view or during dinner so there are pictures or during our private barrel tasting -- honestly, I''d love any of these. What I''m getting at here is that as long as you put thought into it (obviously you have) and it is special for the two of you (ski weekend together is special) then she will be thrilled.
The little details are just extra. Morning or evening. Outdoors or indoors. I don''t think you can go wrong.

I don''t think pictures are really needed. Would they be nice? Maybe. Would the person with a camera be a distraction? For me -- maybe. For your GF -- you need to decide.
I think for many (most?) women, the proposal would be exciting enough that the camera wouldn''t even be noticed.

Sorry this was so long.
I guess my whole point is that as long as you are there with the ring and asking that special question, nothing else really matters as much as you''d think.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for such a well thought out and in-depth response!

I gather from your response that the pictures/camera is less of worry than I''m making it. It''s very relieving to hear, I was concerned about coordinating the whole photographer-thing.

Thanks for the encouragement and insight :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient has given a very well thought out and in-depth version of what I''m about to say:

give her time before you propose to make sure she has herself together re. hair/makeup if she''s typically concerned about those things! Even if you want to propose when you wake up in the morning, give her 10 minutes to brush her teeth and run a flat iron through her hair if that''s what she usually does...of course. How sweet of you to come here for advice and also to consider her needs and desires for a great proposal, you will make a wonderful husband! Even if she''s the most laid-back, outdoorsy-girl, she will likely still care about one of the most wonderful moments in her life enough to prepare for it (and rewarding you with a "true love''s kiss" shortly after.) :)

That said, I would certainly arrange for photography of your engagement/proposal moment. If she likes, you can always hire a photographer later to shoot engagement pics that are more formal so she can have her hair done the way she wants, etc. But those photos, however professional/candid/perfect they are, won''t hold a candle to what your arranged photog (whether amateur or pro) will catch during the moment you propose to her when she''s least expecting it. Pure unadulterated bliss! Snowboard attire and snowboard attached? Who cares?!?! Your outdoors/snowboard scenario would definitely make for an awesome proposal.

Also, I am not a morning person but proposals are a once in a lifetime thing and an exception to the rule of "leave me alone dammit, trying to sleep!" Still, if you really want to go that route (and it''s a good and very romantic one) I would try to give her a few minutes to wake and tend to herself i.e. restroom/teeth brushing/hair, etc. Have her favorite movie on the television when she comes back to bed, or your song playing on your ipod, or something specific to your relationship in the background! Bring along a pretty pair of pajamas or a nightgown she''ll wake up in if you plan to propose in the morning. Whatever it takes to make that non-morning girl a "yes" girl!!

Good luck with your proposal. It sounds like you''re taking lots of care to make sure she''s happy!

36.gif
35.gif

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 4:05:36 AM
Author: monarch64
TooPatient has given a very well thought out and in-depth version of what I''m about to say:

give her time before you propose to make sure she has herself together re. hair/makeup if she''s typically concerned about those things! Even if you want to propose when you wake up in the morning, give her 10 minutes to brush her teeth and run a flat iron through her hair if that''s what she usually does...of course. How sweet of you to come here for advice and also to consider her needs and desires for a great proposal, you will make a wonderful husband! Even if she''s the most laid-back, outdoorsy-girl, she will likely still care about one of the most wonderful moments in her life enough to prepare for it (and rewarding you with a ''true love''s kiss'' shortly after.) :)

For this very reason I am thinking of steering away from this. I don''t want her to be self conscious of her appearance or breath. She plays both the laid-back and girlie-girl roles. This is part in parcel what I love so much about her. She''s not typically a morning person, so I''m thinking the mountain side picnic is the way to go.

That said, I would certainly arrange for photography of your engagement/proposal moment. If she likes, you can always hire a photographer later to shoot engagement pics that are more formal so she can have her hair done the way she wants, etc. But those photos, however professional/candid/perfect they are, won''t hold a candle to what your arranged photog (whether amateur or pro) will catch during the moment you propose to her when she''s least expecting it. Pure unadulterated bliss! Snowboard attire and snowboard attached? Who cares?!?! Your outdoors/snowboard scenario would definitely make for an awesome proposal.

I''m going to reconsider this. I have some time to contemplate, so I might do a little more research on the photographer. She is new to snowboarding so usually, I get her going then I take off down the hill. I can usually do 3 runs to her 1 and she insists that I move ahead and not worry about her. Because of this I could totally set something up without her knowing anything. Then on her 2nd or 3rd run we could have a slope side break. Provided I can scope out the area (and possibly solicit the help of a photographer for this) and find a good spot, I think this would be very romantic and memorable for her.

Also, I am not a morning person but proposals are a once in a lifetime thing and an exception to the rule of ''leave me alone dammit, trying to sleep!'' Still, if you really want to go that route (and it''s a good and very romantic one) I would try to give her a few minutes to wake and tend to herself i.e. restroom/teeth brushing/hair, etc. Have her favorite movie on the television when she comes back to bed, or your song playing on your ipod, or something specific to your relationship in the background! Bring along a pretty pair of pajamas or a nightgown she''ll wake up in if you plan to propose in the morning. Whatever it takes to make that non-morning girl a ''yes'' girl!!

Good luck with your proposal. It sounds like you''re taking lots of care to make sure she''s happy!

36.gif
35.gif

We don''t really have "a song" but I was pondering having: Nazareth - ''Sunshine'' playing on my iphone softly in the background.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
WOW!. Monarch64, thank you for offering the advice to consider a photographer.

I''ve been in contact with a photographer that can handle pictures if we break on the mountain side. They can also accommodate action shots of us snowboarding if I wish. I''m surprised at how relatively cheap they are. I''ve emailed them and asked if they have any ideal locations along the hill that would offer both a secluded romantic setting as well as somewhere for them to hide and take pictures.
I''m really hoping they avidly use the mountain and know of such a place. It will save me from having to scope out the terrain and possibly get caught by the GF.
Since the cost is as reasonable as what it is, I''m going to book them for an hour shoot after we get cleaned up for dinner too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results