shape
carat
color
clarity

Known "Dad" for seven years - still ask?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

popthebigone

Rough_Rock
What do you think? I''ve known the guy forever, he''s even slipped up before and introduced me to people as his son in law. I have the feeling he wouldn''t care one way or another if I asked him, as he''s known for a long time that I''m going to marry his daughter.

Your thoughts?

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 10:39:30 AM
Author:popthebigone
What do you think? I''ve known the guy forever, he''s even slipped up before and introduced me to people as his son in law. I have the feeling he wouldn''t care one way or another if I asked him, as he''s known for a long time that I''m going to marry his daughter.

Your thoughts?
All the more reason TO ask! You know he''ll say yes...

I think asking is not so important because of tradition, but rather because engagements and weddings are something people LOVE to feel a part of... They want to know ahead of time, they want to be involved in stuff, etc.

I''m sure he''d appreciate it, even if he wouldn''t care either way!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My FI didn''t ask my father for his blessing, because we''ve also been together for 7+ years, my dad''s been handing him jewelry catalogs for about 3 years and offering to take him into jewelry stores, and that tradition just isn''t for us.

When we went to my dad''s to announce our engagement to them, here''s what my dad said (once he could stand up straight again):

"No, wait, you''re supposed to ask me if you can marry my daughter, and then I''m supposed to ask you if there''s any insanity in your family, and you respond ''Not yet!''. Then I''ll ask, ''Are you prepared to provide for my daughter in the lifestyle to which she is accustomed?'' and you say ''Yes - we''re moving in with you!!''"

LOL! My dad''s kinda crazy
2.gif
. I think he would have liked to have been asked for his blessing, but I know he''s not offended or hurt that we didn''t. If you feel that your g/f wants you to ask her father, you should ask him. Congratulations!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! Yep, he''s nuts!

His soph year of high school, he and his friends took pears from the cafeteria, wrote "Cherry" on them with markers, and tied them to the new cherry tree the senior class was donating to the school for the senior gift. There are actually pictures of the pears in his yearbook.

*Sigh!* I love my crazy daddy.
1.gif

popthebigone

Rough_Rock
Sounds good folks. I do it just for the sake of it. Plus, I''m sure the GF would want me to. Thanks!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I say yes to asking Dad. I requested a long time ago that i wanted my FI to ask my dad, and he did. I like the thought and tradition of it, and i know that my dad enjoyed/appreciated it as well. One of the first things he said to me when i called to tell them the news, was that he had known and he didnt think guys asked parents any more, he thought it was very nice and respectful! Several other family members have commented that it was nice and gentleman-like that he asked first... Gave him even more bonus points with the fam!

JCJD - I love your dads response! Too funny.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad that you''re going to ask - it sounds like her dad will appreciate it. Good luck on popping both questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results