shape
carat
color
clarity

Ireland Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I''m planning to propose when we''re on our vacation in Ireland later this summer.

I know there are probabaly a million beautiful places in Ireland but does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

DobasD03

Rough_Rock
i would suggest the gap of dunloe....BEAUTIFUL...horse drawn carrage ride, or take the boats....very nice...

http://www.gapofdunloetours.com/

and killarney is a great town...very cozey, nice atmosphere.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any suggestions for a proposal in Ireland? Our trip is coming up soon and I'm still trying to figure out how, when, and where to do it.

We're gonna be spending 10 days sightseeing throughout the southern and western parts of the country. We're renting a car and will be pretty flexible with our itinerary.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
How about providing a general sort of itenerary? If we know more or less where you are going (and when) then perhaps ideas would just sort of sprout from there. Do you want to propose closer to the start of the trip or at the end? What about the middle? Have the two of you planned any special destinations? Do you plan on drinking Irish whiskey (lol)?

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
We're flying into Dublin the last weekend of August and plan to drive south to the Wexford/Waterford area. From there we're gonna go southwest to the Cork/Kinsale area. We'll probably stay in this area for a couple of days before going to the far southwestern part of the country. From there we're gonna go to Killarny and the Ring Of Kerry for several days. From there we'll go north to Limerick, Galway, and the Aran Islands. Finally we'll drive east across the country to Dublin where we'll spend the last two or three days.

We're still working out the details as far as what we want to see and do along the way. We'd like to do more than just the normal touristy things.

As far as when to ask her....I think I'd like to do it at the beginning of the trip. I don't want to have to worry about keeping the ring hidden, losing it, or having it stolen. With that in mind, some place around Cork or Kinsale would be ideal.

Yes, we plan to drink Irish Whisky as well as a few pints of Guinness.
11.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Fabulous. I have a very good friend from Cork. Now, if he is just in town....Other than that, I do have one of those lonely planet guides for Ireland. If I can't find my friend, then I'll have a quick look in the book. There's got to be lots in that area. There is a lot to be said about an early proposal - that way you both get to bask in the that lovely glow for the duration of the trip. It's too late to call my buddy now, but more tomorrow, should he be in town,

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Gale - thanks for the help.

It's good to hear that you're moving on with your life. It must be tough. I hope everything turns out for the best in the long run.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Kind of having a rough day today ep6585. Thanks though. Too much wine and feeling sorry for myself. Off to the office tomorrow. There will be no working at home for a while to try to avoid all that, and not too much more of this self-pity, I hope.

I truly want to visit Ireland, hence the Lonely Planet book. Have been several times to London and once to Cardiff in Wales on business. Both were fabulous. The stay in Cardiff was absolutely the best - and only one other trip of mine beats that destination. The people we met (me and my former boss, who was from Wales) on that Cardiff trip were so wonderful. Everywhere we turned there were kind faces and open hearts. I think I would expect the same sort of thing in Ireland, going from what my Irish friend says, and from what a girlfriend from Australia has said about her trip there not so long ago.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Check this site out for Waterford area sights. This is close to the start of your trip.

http://www.waterfordtourism.org/

In the What to see section check out the historical and pre-historical sites, and the gardens. Some of the gardens are not open when you are visiting, but others are. There must be a lovely place in listed somewhere on this site to make a proposal. Try giving one of these places a call - they would probably be delighted to help you or provide advice.

I am afraid the Lonely Planet book was just too clinical and did not provide much insight for romance.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your help. I'll look at the website later tonight.

NearlyThere

Rough_Rock
I live in Dublin, so might be able to give you some pointers.

You can go for either a rustic feel, i.e. mountains, etc., or Dublin city (which has it's moments!).

The Ring of Kerry is beautiful, there is a hotel close by, called Sheen Falls. It's pricey but a very place all the same. Fantastic grounds, spa, great restaurant, etc. Might be a nice place to propose over a meal, and then relax in the spa the following day?
http://www.sheenfallslodge.ie/

If you are going to Wexford, Rosslare strand is beautiful. There is a lovely hotel on the strand, called Kelly's. http://www.kellys.ie/

Again, Gallway is beautiful. There is a village called Roundstone about an hour outside Gallway, it's got some great bars and fantastic scenery.

Hope that's of some help!

mustang9

Rough_Rock
In Ireland, I have a few ideas... if you want to do it near Dublin, then I would suggest Wicklow. It is an old monastic ruin. You can walk through the ruins of the old community, stone churches and towers which still stand. When you are done, go up the path about 10 minutes, there is an amazing lake with rolling hills in the background. It is simply amazing. Beautiful and peaceful.

If you want to wait until you are on the west coast near Shannon, I would suggest the Cliffs of Moore. It is an amazing 700 foot cliffs overlooking the ocean. You can see the Arian Islands, and the amazingly blue ocean.

Just outside of Dublin in Wicklow, is Glendalough the monastic ruin I mentioned earlier. Here is a link. It doesn't have great pictures, but you get the idea. http://www.wicklow.ie/tourism/attractions/heritage/glendalough.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results