shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I make my obvious proposal plan a surprise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2u77matt

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend of more than 4 years knows a ring is coming soon. I''ve asked her for a few inputs and we even went looking at rings together a couple times.

This is fine and dandy, but the problem is that we have a very special place where I would like to ask her. It''s a little foot bridge over a romantic stream on my family''s property in northern Wisconsin. With the fall colors this time of year, it should be perfect. We used to watch the stars together there as high schoolers. The problem is the she''ll know what''s coming the second I ask her to go for a weekend trip there (4 hr drive from where we live now). I would love to ask her there, but I''m thinking it might be really awkward if she knows what is coming and just has to wait.

Here are some ideas I had:
1) Plan something very romantic sounding for the following weekend as to divert her attention.

2) Give hints that suggest that the ring is being custom made (it is) and won''t be ready for a month even though I will already have it. P.S. I''m a terrible lier.

3) Pretend we will be doing something very un-romantic up there. (i.e. fishing trip, or meeting my family) I think she would break up with me if I asked her on a fishing trip.
21.gif

4) Ask her before we leave even though the place wouldn''t be as special, and then we''d have the weekend as a getaway anyways.

Help, I need your advice?

Matt

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I think you should ask your family for help. Tell them that you want to get her there, and have them help you come up with an excuse why the family would call and ask you both to come for the weekend.

Then, perhaps your family could call the house at a time when your GF is likely to answer the phone.....and they could say they were calling to see if you could come for the weekend for XXXX event or reason.

I suspect that if family calls and they run it by her, she'll not suspect. You could further throw it off by pretending to misunderstand that the family wants you to come the following weekend, and make like you'd reeeeeeeeally prefer not to. (OH, you mean the 18th? That's really not a good weekend for me....OH, the 11th? THAT one is fine.)

Good luck. If you have your heart set on asking at that stream/bridge, then find a way to make that happen and don't settle for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results