shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me save for a ring in secret!

james88

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I have been together for years. We live together, she knows roughly how much money I make and spend. How can I save up the $$ for a ring without her catching on? It's definitely going to involve some cutting back on everyday things. Also, she knows I've been wanting to buy an iPad with my bonus (know I'm thinking of saving it for the ring). My best idea is just to say I'm saving money for "something important" but...that seems suspicious too, no?

Anyone have any advice on how to keep a secret from a constant companion?

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Tough question, James! Can you say you really want to get a chunk of extra money into your retirement fund this year (maybe your employer will match it and double your money?) or save more for/start an emergency fund for a rainy day? Maybe say you want a chunk of money off the mortgage or to save a deposit for a home? I think if you pick something really responsible (and make clear that it's for BOTH of you because you foresee a long-term future with your lady), I'm not sure she'd argue much!

mr_purple

Rough_Rock
If she knows how much you roughly make, then the sure fly deal would be to slowly hint that your job is coming under financial scrutiny. You could possibly make the case that pay cuts were required in order to maintain everyone's job. This would give you enough room to save up by:

1) cutting back on every day things like eating out with your woman
2) give you more room on your pay cheque to put that money into savings or mutual funds (low risk if you are considering buying the ring quickly ~ less than 2 years)

I don't condone lying to your SO but in this case it's for her own benefit.

I also like the retirement idea one. That would allow you to put money away without her being too suspicious. Perhaps even get a financial adviser involved and fill them in on the situation before both of you sit down so he can "work out the numbers" and show where your money would be "going"...if you get my meaning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results