shape
carat
color
clarity

gemstone engagement ring instead of diamond?

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring! Gorgeous! :love:

Has your gf hinted that she doesnt want a diamond?

I think it is a little on the cocktail ring side bcause its very big. BUT! I am in the midwest where my 1.4 is considered massive so in NY, that might be totally fine. Do her friends have large rings? Does she have a job where she can wear it all the time?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morganite is a 7.5 on the MOHS scale and may get damaged after daily wear. It's also very common now due to Pinterest and such, and are usually sold very cheaply in mall stores.

If you choose to go that route, just know you may have to replace the center stone in a few years. Also morganite, like most colored stones, aren't very "sparkly". They're more for show of color. If I can suggest anything, it would be that you choose something with more color and harder on the MOHS scale. 8.5 and above. What about sapphire?

And yes, that size is very 'cocktail'.

AlvinC

Rough_Rock
OH NO NO NO!!! Don't purchase it yet. I feel like you're about to go down the same path I did.

1. make sure she's okay with it. Diamonds are THE STONE for a reason and all girls want them.

2. that does not look like an engagement ring at all. it screams Fashion!!! and the rock is way too big for anyone to even think it's a fancy diamond.

I ended up with a diamond btw.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
If I were the recipient, I would much prefer something in the corundum family, perfectly colored and exquisitely set, that would stand up to everyday wear. Rubies and sapphires were traditional in engagement rings (for those who could afford them) long before diamonds became de rigueur. Spinels are very big on this forum, too, and are durable, but for me it would be a ruby or sapphire, maybe with diamond side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results