shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding the Right Place - Sanibel? Captiva? Siesta?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scogar

Rough_Rock
God this is driving me crazy!!!! I purchased the stone back in August from GOG and now have Mark Morrell doing the ring. So I am doing really good right now. But my problem is how can I find the right place to propose? I want to do it on the beach and plan on the Gulf Coast of Florida, but my REAL problem is where? I have started to gravitate toward Sanibel and Captiva as well as a bit further north in Key Siesta. How can I get past the advertising bunk? Every search I do tells me how great the place is but through experience I know they are selling vacations and are not necessaarily aligned with what my ideas are.

How does one find a romantic getaway? without tons of children? with beaches and hammocks and waves and just plain romance? I mean how does one REALLY find this without all the fluff from the hotel industry? I can''t and I need to soon....

Any help would be appreciated and I am looking toward the Southwest Florida Coast.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock

The only place that comes to mind is Lover’s Key Beach and Resort. I am unsure of their policy regarding children on the premises. Honestly, as long as I can remember, FLA has been advertised specifically as a family friendly vacation destination. So, finding hotels that will exclude children as guests is going to be difficult. If you time your trip when most schools are traditionally in session, you may have better luck avoiding children and the unromantic mood they bring with them.

If you are willing to go a little further south, I know that Sandals, among other vacation experts, have resorts tailored specifically to adults. Unfortunately most of these places are located in the Caribbean, such as Jamaica. Children are not allowed on the premises at all. I have had the pleasure of staying at an adult only resort in Jamaica and it was truly a vacation. No annoying children. Quiet and relaxing (and there really were hammocks on the beach as well as private cabanas which you could lounge in). The resorts will also work with you to make your stay as romantic as you wish and the plus side is they are usually all inclusive, so you can have as many frozen drinks delivered to you on the beach as you wish

2.gif

My other suggestion would be to forego the concept of a resort or hotel all together and see if you can rent a villa or private beach home in Florida.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
When we went to Sanibel, we rented a private boat from Captiva (with driver) and he takes you to a private island for the day. He drops you off and comes back for you. Is is so amazing and beautiful and private. You would not have lots of children around you there. Just a few wild hogs....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sanibel has amazing sea shells. I know people who own property there, and it is more remote so you might not have as many kids, but I am not too sure. Supposed to be a pretty spot though!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reminder DF. That is one of the things we did on the private island. The guy on the boat gives you bags to collect seashells. Nice memory to fill an engagement bowl with seashells.. And pack a nice picnic. There is nowhere to get anything on the island. So brings drinks, snacks, etc... You could make it really romantic.

Good luck.

weallshineon

Rough_Rock
I am headed out to the Rockies game right now but I will chat more on this later...

My family has a place in Siesta Key, so I have been going there for about 20 years or so. It is a beautiful area and very soft, white, powder sand.

More later, but definitely Siesta Key would be a great place

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I did go with my family again this past summer, it was based on our experience of there, having been married, and without children...on Captiva, an easy recommend is South Seas Resort.

Make Traveladvisor.com your friend.

Also, search threads here for the area...lots here on the Mucky Duck and such.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results