shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring engraving

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakTheKnife

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I am currently in the process of getting an engagement ring made and now it''s reaching the final stages the guy making it asked me what I wanted engraved on the inside. This kind of threw me as I had envisioned getting the wedding bands engraved but hadn''t thought about the engagement ring. Is it normal to have an engraving on that? And if you or your partner have an engraving on your engagement ring, what does it say? I''m hunting for good ideas!

Thanks!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 7:24:28 PM
Author:MakTheKnife

Is it normal to have an engraving on that? And if you or your partner have an engraving on your engagement ring, what does it say? I''m hunting for good ideas!
First of all, whether or not it''s "normal" is a moot point. It''s not "strange" or "wrong," if that''s what you mean
2.gif
I think it''s a great idea, and something I would deeply appreciate.

Choosing what to have engraved is a very, very personal thing. You could have the date of your first meeting/date/kiss/etc., the date of the proposal, the old standby "I love you" or some permutation thereof, a nod to something special to the two of you ("You are my lobster," haha), an inside joke, a short excerpt of "your song" ("I love you just the way you are"), a quote from a movie special to the two of you... the possibilities are endless!

Anyway, people can give you all kinds of suggestions, but the thing that will be really special only you can come up with, because it will be personal to the two of you.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ah...Musey is right. She hit on all aspects for you to think of.

My husband...he has all these funny little sayings that have meaning...could be a quote from a movie, or Andy Griffith...or some quote turned around...or some sort of analogy...so many things to make me laugh. So your words or thoughts need not be something earth shattering romantic...as long as they mean something to both of you...here are a few that I would love to have that remind me of him.

Jump in and hang on...(darlings from Andy Griffith)
What could possibly go wrong with an old fashion (Jim Backus in some airplane movie)
I"ll lasso the moon...(Jimmy Stewart Its a wonderful life)
Let blow this pop stand
Got your shoes on? (this is he code for time to go while in the presence of others)
Hey Junior! (this is how he calls me)
A day at the beach (he says this is how life is with me-it is because I am an air head)
He always says 30 days in the cooler...so I would like (a lifetime in the cooler with you) See no one else would get it!!!

You see there are little things you fellas do, or say...that mean more to us that some made up stuffy Hallmark Card quote. Just listen...in everyday life...there is something somewhere you can use that will be perfect. And there is nothing wrong with just leaving it blank and waiting for something you both can come up with.

What about a quote that begins on yours and finishes on hers? OR use scripture reference: 1 Corinthians 13:4, it reads:

“Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.”

You''ve got a great one...just reach down deep.

DKS

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Musey and DKS have really good suggestions (btw, DKS, I love all of your posts, you have such a sense of humor! :)

You could also use the engagement ring and wedding ring together to make a statement, so the first part of the statement is engraved in the engagement ring, then the second part is in the wedding ring. I can''t think of any examples of this off the top of my head, but thought it might be a good option if you wanted to use a full line of a poem or something and it wouldn''t all fit.

I waited for the engagement for a long time, so I think if my husband had engraved "love is patient" in my e-ring, I would have found that the most hilarious thing ever.

MakTheKnife

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, those are some really helpful suggestions. I really love the corinthians passage - I think I''ll use something from there :)

The line that really stood out to me was ''There is nothing love cannot face'' so I''m going to go with that. I hope it will fit!

diamondsgirl22

Rough_Rock
awwww. you are so adorable. i wish my bf was on here asking questions like you are. ooh, well i guess i never know!!! that engravement idea and what you decided to use is so romantic! i know that she will love it! When are you planning on asking?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Mak...

Great choice. I want to make sure you consider this...an engagement ring may be top heavy depending on the shape of the head...etc. The reason I point this out to you it is possible that this type of ring maybe a tad different in fit.

If that is the case, you may have to re size it. UGGHHHHH! If so the engraving could loose a letter or two. Many women know their ring size...but it does change in cool weather and warm. So sometimes we wear them for 6 months or so before making a re size decision. Again, we may not know all the element in sizing for a while.

This may be a reason your fabulous idea and extremely sentimental one is not as commonly done. Just wanted to make sure you thought of this and that the inscription is placed where it can not be affected by a character deletion!!

I did want to say I love the scripture idea...it can also be carried on in your band and hers...and all together they will form a larger part of the scripture. Gifts in the future can also have one line on them. A wedding night gift...a christmas bangle bracelet...a locket...a key chain...when baby comes a special silver cup or something. This could be a theme that continues to grow and be emphasised over your lifetime together. A foundation...from the manual.

You may do a Google and study all versions of that phrase. You may find it shorter or better quoted in another version...King James, NIV, AMP...all versions will use a slightly different composed sentence.

DKS

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, good point DKS! I hadn''t thought of that!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DKS, great ideas on splitting a verse to 2 rings. I would''ve never thought of that but it makes perfect sense
1.gif

I''d go with "I promise" on the engagement ring since, in essence, it''s a promise to marry and then pick one the wedding vows for the wedding band "To love" or "To cherish" or your particular vow. So together it''d be "I promise to love" or "I promise to cherish." I''d suggest not going with "To obey"
3.gif

Breezee

Rough_Rock
I engraved a scripture on the inside of the engagement ring I''ll be presenting to my GF. I think trying to write out an entire verse is too much engraving going on. Just simply engrave the verse on the ring and let her pick up a bible to look it up and read it for herself. That way, you are not limited by how much you can engrave. For example, you can engrave "John 3:16" for that one verse or you can engrave "John 3:16-26" for several verses. I think it makes the discovery nicer when she actually reads what it is you wanted to say from the good book itself.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You also need to consider space. I don''t know what the USA rules are, but it''s illegal to damage/delete a hallmark here in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results