shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

j_james

Rough_Rock
I have been dating my girlfriend now for the past four years. I have decided that it is finally time for us to move forward with our lives together and I am getting the ring very soon. The problem is that I still need help with a proposal. I live in Chicago and I have tried checking the internet for ideas and have come up empty for my area. I am tempted to but the book “The Romantic''s Guide to Popping the Question”, but I don’t know how good the book really is. Has anyone tried this approach?

My girlfriend still lives at home with her parent on the north side which limits me to anything big at her house. I was thinking about a romantic restaurant but I know that she don’t want it to be that public of an event. I would take her to the signature room, but this is where her sister was asked and I think that she would catch on if I took her there for the first time.

Maybe the Odyssey?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi j_james,

I live in Chicago (Northwest side) and I've read on this forum a suggestion for Everest (atop the Chicago Trade Bldg). Also I ate Cite (accent over the "e") it is atop the Lakepoint towers building and depending on where you sit there is a view of Navy Pier, Lake Michigan, or Lake Shore Drive. I heard it revolves so you see all views but I don't remember that. Also, I'm not sure if it's still there but there was a revolving restaurant in hotel that is now the home of "W" the trendy night spot. The restaurant might have been replaced by the night spot but call for info.

If you want to do something outdoors there is a great river-garden-park location by the Rosemont theatre that is nice and quiet for a walk. I'm trying to find information about it for my sister so when I get it, I'll post.

Another suggestion (I have to admit I work for the Park District) is the two conservatories. Lincoln Park and Garfield Park conservatories. If you go to www.chicagoparkdistrict.com you can check on the Spring flower shows and that would make for a nice walk and talk about the future and you can pop the question surrounded by gorgeous blooms. I know Garfield is having some construction done but there are open during the construction. Did you see the Chihuly exhibit while it was here? That would have been a great backrop.

This was the other Chicago proposal thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-propose-in-chicago-suggestions.3658/

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
j_james,

I just picked up the flower show calendar, spring flowers shows are going on at both conservatories until May 11. If you are planning on popping the question later than that, let me know. There are lots of other shows I can tell you about. The neighborhood around Garfield park is ugly but the conservatory has a parking lot right outside and security. I've never had a problem around there. However, Lincoln park conservatory has a nicer looking outside entry way and is right by the zoo. And if you're not up for either of those, Oak Park has a conservatory right off of 290 (Eisenhower) but I don't know any of their shows and I remember it being very small. But flowers and romance seem to go well for me.

j_james

Rough_Rock
Lanee

Thanks for the terrific ideas about the Conservatory because I was not even thinking about going in that direction. I am checking it out now to see what my thoughts are on it. However, in the mean time I thought of four other options that I would like to see what everyone’s thoughts are about this.

1) At some restaurant (which I can't think of one) with the waiter bringing a chocolate box with the ring inside or the question written in Chocolate on a plate
• Pro – no real time frame need and will probably be surprised
• Con – very public

2) Rent out a small private movie theater and have the same scenario as the first idea
• Pro – private and more romantic
• Con – Can we say DeBeers commercial and more expensive

3) Get a nice Easter egg with a white bow and put it in her family’s backyard when we do their Easter egg hunt
• Pro – Somewhat creative
• Con – it is in front of her family
• Con – The time frame is quick
• Con – She has to share her engagement day with a holiday

4) Using a good friend and then doing something on the beach of Lake Michigan with writing in the sand or a letter in a bottle.
• Pro – Won’t be expected and cheaper than the rest
• Con – Can be sloppy if it doesn’t work right

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
You're too funny.

Hmm. . .

1)Not very public if you pick a small intimate restaurant on a weeknight. I like Dinatto on North and Wells (good goat cheese ravioli) You'll have to call them because they either have two locations less than a block from each other or they moved to a larger space across from Piper's Alley.
2)I think renting a theater is going to be pricey-and you would probably have to definitely do this like 2nd showing during a weekday. Some theaters only offer matinees for the first showing (in the city) so you would have a greater chance of getting them to cooperate on an off time. Let me know if you go this route, I'd be interested in the expense. Also I think you would have to hire someone for the production/screen part.
3)Pro-Easter changes every year and she would get to share it with her family immediately. That's nice. A spin on this would be putting the proposal in the egg and dropping to your knee with the ring as she reads it. Con-how are you going to keep children from ruining the surprise by refusing to cooperate and running straight for the special egg?
4)lake is tricky, it would have to be written in wet sand and timing is important you don't want her to see your friends running to hide and you don't want the water to wash it away and . . .lost my other thoughts. However, I think this is a really nice idea if you can work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results