shape
carat
color
clarity

pave setting for I color center stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kong

Rough_Rock
There''s a lot of talk about yellow gold being the best setting for masking lower color grades, platinum for bringing out the white in higher grades, etc..

But what about a pave setting where (looking down) you don''t see any metal, only small diamonds of the same color (I)? Does this bring out or mask color? Or neither? I''m thinking of having a 2 carat "I" color set in a pave setting where the diamonds (I color) run flush with a platinum band. Will the bed of diamonds make the "I" center diamond look whiter, more yellow or have no effect on color?

Also do the platinum prongs have an effect?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it will really matter too much personally at that color range. Go to Tiffany''s and check it out for yourself. Their pave stones are all G I believe and they sell stones down to an I.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I think "I" in a pave'' setting would work, but do you ever get a choice on what goes in the sides ? That small you have to go by faith they are putting in what they are putting in. What Im saying is face up and that small of a diamond you could not tell if it was "I" to "G" on the color.

I have larger master stones here on my desk face up in regular lights. Face up next to each other and its a hard call. From the side I can pick them apart. So small stones face up and pave'' down in is not anything you should lose sleep about. Good question.

kong

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Just to be clear, I''m not worried the pave setting diamonds will clash with the center stone. Assuming they are indeed the identical color (I), do you think the pave setting has any effect on the perceived color of the center stone? i.e the way platinun or gold would have an influence over the perceived color of a diamond.

How about a pave setting''s effect on the overall brilliance or size of the center stone? Just trying to understand the pave setting''s effect. Other than overall adornment. Is there any?

Thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 1:21:17 PM
Author: kong
Thanks. Just to be clear, I''m not worried the pave setting diamonds will clash with the center stone. Assuming they are indeed the identical color (I), do you think the pave setting has any effect on the perceived color of the center stone? i.e the way platinun or gold would have an influence over the perceived color of a diamond.

How about a pave setting''s effect on the overall brilliance or size of the center stone? Just trying to understand the pave setting''s effect. Other than overall adornment. Is there any?

Thanks

Not really. It makes the whole RING more sparkly, but doesn''t really have any effect on how the center stone looks IMO. Other than the fact that it forces the center stone to share the limelight so to speak.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, nothing wrong with putting an I color diamond in any kind of setting. Off hand I know that Mara and LynnB have 2+ ct. J color diamonds in settings with diamonds on the band and they are beautiful.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
If the diamonds are well-cut, there''s NO need to fret! It''ll be GORGEOUS!
30.gif

dod

Rough_Rock
I just recently purchased a pave setting w/ H color center stone. Looks gorgeous to me. I personally wouldn''t be worried as long as it is definitely I color (GIA or AGS cert). I have seen some I''s that look as good as some G colors, but some EGL-I that were not so pretty. Good luck...

dod

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results