shape
carat
color
clarity

Three dogs and two cats too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fed

Rough_Rock
OK, I need pet advice. My husband and I are thinking of adding a papillon puppy to our pet family. We currently have a 3 year old goldendoodle, 6 year old miniature pinscher, and two rescue cats (litter mates that are a year old). I''ve always wanted a papillon and I found a breeder that has one little female left for $500. Are three dogs and two cats too much?

We have a 3,000 square foot house and a fenced yard so I feel like we have the space. And as a friend of mine says, the two small dogs together would equal one normal sized dog!

Or I could get another cat! I''ve been looking at ragdoll kittens too!

I need advice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My question is whether you can handle another pet in addition to all the other things that you already do for your family and other pets: timewise (to walk, behavioural training, playtime) and financially (vet bills, food, more toys). If yes, then, there''s your answer.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I know that in my city there are laws on the number of pets you can have (maybe there are some in your area as well, so might be worth a check).

I think it depends on whether or not you feel you have enough time to devote to all of your pets. I know dogs require more work in the beginning then cats. Do you feel you are able to keep up with the dogs now? I don''t see anything wrong with another dog (it''s the same with children) some people think 1 child is overwhelming, and others manage 4 children easily. So I don''t think it has anything to do with a set number being too much.

Good luck!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I agree this is something you really have to ask yourself.

For me, the idea of 3 dogs and 2 cats is totally, totally overwhelming, but then I''m easily overwhelmed!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Really depends on your situation. 3000sqft house and yard is enough space, but can you handle the other addition (dog or cat) and give it the attention it will need without depriving the others?
I personally have 2 cats (both rescues), 2 dogs (min-pin and a Jack Russel) and 2 birds...

Whichever one you decide on, post some pics, they sound adorable
4.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OY! You are a bigger woman than me!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I felt somewhat overwhelmed with two cats... not so much the financial aspect (although it was certainly a factor), but mostly the extra work (two kitty litters to clean, double the shedding clean-up, etc.) and especially the time and effort involved in being sure to give equal time and attention to both cats. I am much happier as a single pet owner, that''s for sure.

That being said, though, only you can decide if you can handle it. I would think it would either be a matter of (1) ho-hum, move-over-there''s-one-more... or... (2) it could be the straw that breaks the camel''s back and makes pet-ownership not-so-fun anymore. I can kinda see it going either way. You''ll have to let us know what you decide.

On a side note, our cat is a Ragdoll and he''s an ANGEL!
12.gif
I totally adore this breed!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, you have plenty of space. My FI and I have a small house. We have three dogs, (35, 45 and 80 pounds), a cat, two large fishtanks and a turtle. Our dogs and cat were all rescued. I love my zoo!!!! I would add to it if FI would let me too...
20.gif
31.gif
If you can handle it, go for it! The more the merrier!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Papillons are absolute JOYS. I love my little girl so much I don't think I could get other dogs, because it would take time away from HER!!!

They are the happiest, most loving little sunshine-bringers around.

GET HER. A million times yes!

ETA: around here breeder-raised Paps START at 2K ... so, she's a bargain to boot!!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
You definitely have the space, and from the sound of your post, it sounds like you can easily accommodate another pet. As others have mentioned, how many pets to have (or to be able to handle, more specifically) can vary greatly. I have friends who feel overwhelmed devoting their attention to even one pet.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how you''re brought up. I was raised with tons of family pets... we always had 1-2 dogs, 1-2 cats, a rabbit, or a guinea pig, or gerbils, or fish... haha. If you grow up like that, you''re pretty easy going and not stressed with having a lot of pets!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it's less of a space issue and more of a "can you really REALLY take good, responsible care of that many pets" issue. For example, you mention a big yard but a big yard should not be a substitute for daily walks, not to mention the 2-3x week or more to a dog park for just play time. Are your pets disciplined or do they bark constantly....I ask this as a responsible pet owner who is currently surrounded by three houses of irresponsible pet owners who maybe walk their dogs once a month if at all. Who never discipline their dogs and allow them to bark unabated all the time, on a daily basis. Etc...you get the picture! If you can handle adding one more dog to your "pack" (I am a big believer in the Cesar Milan approach), then go for it. But if you've already got a barking, unruly pack, then I wouldn't. Just my two cents...

ETA: DECO! I really miss your old avatar with your pup...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Fed - I think the other posters have given good advice with regards to how to make the decision about adding another family member or not - basically it does boil down to whether you can take good care of them and whether adding another pet will add to your pet ownership in a happy way.

However, I have to warn you that a "bargain" dog from a breeder is rarely a good idea. The low price and the fact that the breeder just has a dog waiting around ready to sell (I''m assuming this from your post - please correct me if I''m wrong) is a HUGE red flag about the breeder themselves. A responsible breeder will usually have a waiting list because they aren''t breeding to sell pets to make money, they are breeding to improve their breed. In general, irresponsible breeders (sometimes called "backyard breeders") have a myriad of problems: they usually do insufficient health screening on the parents of the puppies before breeding and often don''t know the health and temperament histories of all the dogs in those lines. This is crucial information, because without it your chances of getting a dog who will sooner or later suffer health problems is exponentially higher. Knowing the full background of the parents is CRITICAL because negative or unhealthy traits can often skip generations.

This website has EXCELLENT, easy-to-read Q and A on these topics and why they are SO IMPORTANT, even if you "just want a pet." The one thing the site doesn''t mention directly, but that is an ABSOLUTE MUST, is that any reputable breeder will require several things from you before agreeing to let you adopt one of their dogs:

1. An extensive questionnaire to make sure you are a good fit for the breed. This really is in everyone''s best interest, even if it seems like an unnecessary pain in the you-know-what, because it assures that you are truly getting the best dog for you and the dog is getting the best home for it.

2. A spay-neuter contract stating that (if the puppy isn''t already fixed when you get it) you will have it fixed by a certain age. For pet-quality dogs, this improves their health and temperament and is the ONLY responsible choice, considering the millions of healthy, adoptable dogs put to sleep in American shelters every year.

3. A return clause stating that if, at any time, you are unable to keep the dog, you return it to the breeder. Part of being a responsible breeder is not contributing to the horrific overcrowding in shelters, and responsible breeders are responsible for the dogs they produce throughout the life of the dog, no matter what.

If any of these factors are not present, this is not a responsible breeder, and you will likely be adopting a dog with unknown potential for serious diseases (very expensive to treat) as well as contributing to the horrific pet overpopulation. I know this sounds kind of harsh, but I spend a lot of time dealing with this stuff, and even though it takes time, patience and money, if you want a purebred dog (and there''s nothing wrong with that - Papillons are lovely dogs), please do your homework and be as responsible as you can.

Many of these factors apply to cat breeders as well. And there are a surprising number of Ragdolls and other purebred cats in rescue - we got our rescued Ragdoll by accident, but we love him dearly and he''s a sweet, enormous, gorgeous fluffy joy of a cat now.

Good luck!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Just for those others who might be interested as well as you, This Link has a huge array of very helpful links to articles about all things related to getting a well-bred dog. Its an EXCELLENT site, and I highly recommend bookmarking it and reading the articles to anyone considering adding a dog to your family.

Fed

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your great advice! I''m currently leaning towards the blue-point mitted ragdoll kitten.

I found the $500 price on the puppy odd also. But I believe that the price is grounded in two reasons. One, the breeder is waaaaayyyy out in rural Virginia (I live in the Washington D.C. area). Two, the puppy is older (he normally has a waitlist) and he lowered his price from $650 to $500 only for approved people. I am not yet "approved." He had planned to keep her for breeding but changed his mind, but he''s rather attached to her. So he is looking for a special buyer that will spoil her. I''m waiting on photos of the puppy

On another note, I wholeheartedly agree that you have to be carefull buying puppies and I always buy from breeders that ask a multitude of questions and maintain certain standards. The papillon breeder questioned me about the size of my dogs and the level of supervision I would provide when they play to ensure the papillon does not get hurt. But I personally prefer not to buy from big breeding houses that show all of their dogs. I have found that they charge the most for their puppies simply to fund their showing habit and the champion bloodline dogs make poor pets. But that''s just me.

I''m certain that my husband and I have the time and LOVE (!) to devote to another pet, but I''m still vacillating back and forth. We don''t have kids and don''t want any so our pets are our babies. We''re also homebodies, so we spend a lot of time playing with our pets and walking our dogs. Both of our dogs have been to obedience school and are well trained. I worry about taking attention away from our minpin, since she''s my baby. I still don''t know what to do!!

Thanks for all your advice!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ve got a big enough house for it. My big pet peeve with lots of pets is the hair everywhere!!! If you vacuum frequently or have a robovac, then I say go for it!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Fed - I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about breeders with champions charging more to pay for their showing. In fact, they usually charge more (but not usually the most - pet stores generally have MUCH higher prices) because of the thorough health screenings required. Please do at least take the time to read this link on the subject before making generalizations.

Additionally, there is no scientific basis whatsoever to say that "champion bloodline" dogs don''t make as good pets. The links I posted yesterday specifically say that having a "champion bloodline" or even a breeder who produces a lot of show champions does NOT mean they are a good breeder or that you should buy your dog from them. Rather, the fact that the puppies are born and raised in their home and subjected to extensive socialization, top-quality health care, and breed-specific analysis and testing is what dictates a good breeder in addition to only breeding good examples of the breed. And good examples of the breed are good examples and good candidates for breeding because they minimize the health risks associated with that particular breed. All of these factors would contribute to having a better pet, not a worse one. Without knowing all of this about the health of the parents, and without having shown them to ensure that they fit their conformation for their breed, the breeder is producing dogs of unknown health risk as well as dogs that probably move the breed as a whole farther from what it is supposed to be, thus helping to defeat the purpose of dog breeds to begin with, which is to have behaviorally and aesthetically predictable offspring that can be maintained and propagated over many generations.

I''m really not saying all of this to be mean, (and I''ve tried not to make any of it personal), but because I think it is incredibly important that people truly understand and not spread statements that aren''t grounded in fact with regards to dogs, purebred or otherwise.

I''m glad that your breeder asked a lot of questions about the circumstances of your household and what the environment would be like for the puppy, and its also a good sign that they normally have a wait list. However, unless they require the spay-neuter contract specified above as well as having a lifetime agreement that they dog will be returned to them if anything should go wrong, they aren''t an ethical breeder. You didn''t mention either of these, so they may very well include them, and if so, that''s wonderful.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 5:23:07 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Fed - I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about breeders with champions charging more to pay for their showing. In fact, they usually charge more (but not usually the most - pet stores generally have MUCH higher prices) because of the thorough health screenings required. Please do at least take the time to read this link on the subject before making generalizations.

Additionally, there is no scientific basis whatsoever to say that ''champion bloodline'' dogs don''t make as good pets. The links I posted yesterday specifically say that having a ''champion bloodline'' or even a breeder who produces a lot of show champions does NOT mean they are a good breeder or that you should buy your dog from them. Rather, the fact that the puppies are born and raised in their home and subjected to extensive socialization, top-quality health care, and breed-specific analysis and testing is what dictates a good breeder in addition to only breeding good examples of the breed. And good examples of the breed are good examples and good candidates for breeding because they minimize the health risks associated with that particular breed. All of these factors would contribute to having a better pet, not a worse one. Without knowing all of this about the health of the parents, and without having shown them to ensure that they fit their conformation for their breed, the breeder is producing dogs of unknown health risk as well as dogs that probably move the breed as a whole farther from what it is supposed to be, thus helping to defeat the purpose of dog breeds to begin with, which is to have behaviorally and aesthetically predictable offspring that can be maintained and propagated over many generations.

I''m really not saying all of this to be mean, (and I''ve tried not to make any of it personal), but because I think it is incredibly important that people truly understand and not spread statements that aren''t grounded in fact with regards to dogs, purebred or otherwise.

I''m glad that your breeder asked a lot of questions about the circumstances of your household and what the environment would be like for the puppy, and its also a good sign that they normally have a wait list. However, unless they require the spay-neuter contract specified above as well as having a lifetime agreement that they dog will be returned to them if anything should go wrong, they aren''t an ethical breeder. You didn''t mention either of these, so they may very well include them, and if so, that''s wonderful.

I agree with you 100%, Amber.

As to coping with another addition, it sounds like you definitely have the room. I don''t think it sounds like too much at all. If I wasn''t restricted to living in a 1300 sq. ft apartment, I would love to add a saluki and a mid-sized mutt to my brood of one (Boston Terrier).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ursula - its always nice to not feel *quite* so much like the crazy raving animal advocate
3.gif
20.gif
BTs are so cute - we have a BT/french bulldog mix in an agility class I help teach and she is the CUTEST thing - we have to lower all the obstacles and jumps for her, but she LOVES it
1.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 6:21:25 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Thanks ursula - its always nice to not feel *quite* so much like the crazy raving animal advocate
3.gif
20.gif
BTs are so cute - we have a BT/french bulldog mix in an agility class I help teach and she is the CUTEST thing - we have to lower all the obstacles and jumps for her, but she LOVES it
1.gif
I shall indulge you, then, with a pic of my sweet girl
1.gif

I volunteer in a shelter part-time and we get a lot of pedigrees in, actually, most of which are poorly bred and have a whole host of behavioural and health problems. Pedigree isn''t everything, but health-testing for purebreeds is, and something I feel passionately about as well.

froggie 002.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG Ursula...could she be any more precious?!?!?!!! She''s ADORABLE!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thanks so much for sharing (and Fed, sorry for the thread hijack). I also volunteer at a shelter (we get plenty of purebreds too - most estimates I''ve seen say that 25-30% of the dogs in US shelters are purebred) and I feel that with the horror of dog overpopulation (and cat overpopulation for that matter), irresponsible breeding is one of the most unethical things someone can do...

suzi

Shiny_Rock
I don''t want to be the one to throw a negative in here, but I would also want to remind anyone who is considering multiple pets to consider the expense. It''s fine to think you have the time and the space for several pets, but having pets can also cost a significant amount of money. I have friends who work in a local animal shelter, and they have told me often that one of the most popular reasons people give up their pets is the expense. It is especially sad when people have to give up ill or injured pets because they cannot afford the expense of treating them. We have one dog and one cat, and we spend a considerable amount of money on them each year with vet bills, medications, food, toys, and other miscellaneous supplies. I would love to have several more pets, but I also know that realistically, we probably do not have the time or the money available right now to have more pets.

I think when contemplating the possiblity of owning that many pets, you have to factor in the possiblity that one or more of them may develop problems or illness that would significantly increase the amount of time and money that you will need to spend. You need to ask yourself if you can handle that. If the answer is 100% yes, then go for the additional pets. If you aren''t absolutely sure you could accomodate spending significantly more than you already do in time and money on your pets, then maybe you''d better reconsider. I am speaking from heartbreaking experience here. Good luck in whatever you decide.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results