shape
carat
color
clarity

Can not decide between platinum and palladium.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hootpie

Rough_Rock
I was referred here by a member (thanks Lauren)...she said it was the best place to ask for advice.

I have the option to get a 950 palladium setting and 5 year service warranty (unlimited sizing, cleaning, polishing, checking of the setting--on the entire ring, not just the setting) or a platinum setting (no warranty) for the same price (tiffany setting).

I like that the palladium is more resistant, but I don't like that it is lighter. I like that the platinum is heavier, but I don't like that it dings easy.

I'd ask my girlfriend, but I'm asking her to marry me and it would ruin the surprise
3.gif
if I asked for her input. She currently has a 14k white gold .5ct ring that hasn't yellowed and that she isn't allergic to, but I want to get her something higher quality for her engagement ring.

I honestly can't decide between the two...help
41.gif

Edit:

I should probably explain how I'm getting them for the same price:

Platinum setting from whiteflash, which is where I'm getting the diamond - $450

Palladium setting from RB's - $180
Setting fee - $225 (yikes)
Warranty - $75
Total - $480

I am paying a premium when I go with the palladium, but I also have the option to get the warranty.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you *probably* won't need the service warranty at all, except maaaaaybe for a polish. Most good jewelers will clean and inspect your ring FOR FREE even if you didn't buy the ring there...so that's not really added value to me.

So really, I think your jeweler is selling you palladium for a platinum price.

I would see if you can negotiate down the price of the palladium set. Palladium is signficantly cheaper than platinum and a service warranty WILL NOT make up that difference.

hootpie

Rough_Rock
I should probably explain how I'm getting them for the same price:

Platinum setting from whiteflash, which is where I'm getting the diamond - $450

Palladium setting from RB's - $180
Warranty - $75
Total - $480

I am paying a premium when I go with the palladium, but I also have the option to get the warranty...are you sure I won't need it?

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Well.....personally, since white gold works well for her. How about get a 18k WG setting from WhiteFlash. Plus you will save money...

MWG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 5:08:50 PM
Author: hootpie
I should probably explain how I''m getting them for the same price:

Platinum setting from whiteflash, which is where I''m getting the diamond - $450

Palladium setting from RB''s - $180

Warranty - $75

Total - $480

I am paying a premium when I go with the palladium, but I also have the option to get the warranty...are you sure I won''t need it?

Can I ask something? Why the HECK are you willing to pay more for palladium when it sells for so much less? And you''re PAYING for a warranty too? I thought it came with a free warranty? Why do you need two warranties? Sounds too shady for me...

Why do YOU think you''ll need the warranty?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
As neatfreak mentioned, nearly all the "services" you mentioned are offered by reputable jewelers for free, to anyone, regardless of whether or not they bought their rings there. I get my earrings cleaned at a place where I bought them, and they'll clean anything I bring in, and with a smile!

If you want to save money, go with 18k white gold instead. But for me, diamonds and platinum just go together like peanut butter and jelly!

ETA: I'm not sure why your jeweler is charging you a "setting fee" at all. Most places I do business with would set your stone at no charge if you're buying either the stone or the setting from them. And what is the "warrantee"? It's not like a TV set or a toaster. It's not going to blow a fuse. And if a diamond comes loose or whatever, it should be covered both by insurance, and by the shop's own customer service policy. I've never heard of such rubbish. In fact, if I were you, I'd run from this jeweler now. Sounds like they're trying to pull one over on you.

hootpie

Rough_Rock
The reason I''m paying as much for palladium as I am for platinum is because I have to pay a setting fee at RB''s because I''m not buying the diamond from them as well.

The only reason I was willing to pay this was because of the warranty, but if it doesn''t make sense to buy the warranty there is no reason for me to go to RB''s.

It''s too bad WF doesn''t offer palladium...this would be much easier :razz:

Let''s assume the price difference is not an issue...should I go with palladium or platinum?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 6:21:38 PM
The reason I''m paying as much for palladium as I am for platinum is because I have to pay a setting fee at RB''s because I''m not buying the diamond from them as well.

The only reason I was willing to pay this was because of the warranty, but if it doesn''t make sense to buy the warranty there is no reason for me to go to RB''s.

It''s too bad WF doesn''t offer palladium...this would be much easier :razz:

Let''s assume the price difference is not an issue...should I go with palladium or platinum?

Well, pretty much the only reason to buy palladium that I know of is that it''s cheaper than platinum and has a similar look! So the answer is def. PLATINUM!

eac

Shiny_Rock
I''d say go for platinum. The reason is that this ring isn''t for you - it''s for your fiancee to be. You might appreciate palladium''s qualities, but I''m guessing that your fiancee-to-be, when describing her ring to her friends, will get more oohs and aaahs when she says "set in platinum" than "set in palladium."

Platinum does "wear" a bit more, but you can always have the ring repolished every year or 2nd year.

hootpie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone...I finalized the order with platinum.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 6:46:42 PM
Thanks for the input everyone...I finalized the order with platinum.

Good that was going to be my vote! Good luck with the proposal!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good decision! I''d definitely choose platinum or 18k white gold over palladium for fine jewelry. I have read that palladium doesn''t look all that great after it ages. Anyway, I''d definitely want WF to set the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results