shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong metal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that platinum is best for diamonds and expensive rings.

However, is it true that 9 carat gold may snag and break if not checked but it will never wear down?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i can answer this one.

my quarter carat tiny round engagement ring had several resets of white gold prongs. yes i wore them down to nubs. and wonky, easily bendable prongs going every direction. the platinum prongs i have presently are holding up much better.

how did they abrade? sewing/ fabric abrasion, sleeping in real linen sheets, chemistry as a profession, gardening, general neglect and abuse for the first ten years of marriage. never took it off, never looked at it. i was not into diamonds then, and frankly embarrassed by its tiny size. surpised i didn''t lose the diamond.

after AN EPIPHANY in a bus of the texas medical center i noticed a doctor''s tiny diamond set high, clean, and beautiful in a plain tiffany setting. thus began my love of diamonds.

this is my third/fourth (?) reset of my engagement ring - plain cheapo tiffany style setting with platinum prongs. wear it constantly, off only to clean it.

i have a the big pear in the avatar also. it has white gold prongs which are wearing very well, but i only wear it when going out. it''s too big and gets in the way of my daily activities at home.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ladykemma, was that 9 - 10 karat gold or 18 though?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i believe they were 14k

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladykemma
35.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2007 10:09:03 AM
Author: ladykemma

after AN EPIPHANY in a bus of the texas medical center i noticed a doctor's tiny diamond set high, clean, and beautiful in a plain tiffany setting. thus began my love of diamonds.

Yes I feel diamonds do not need to be large to love them. I once noticed a woman I worked with her engagement ring was certainly not a quarter carat, I would say it was about 10 points maybe 15 points, I have a ring with a quarter carat so I know it was smaller and also in the UK many people have quarter carat as did many of the co-workers there. Her ring was set in a solitaire, high set and every time we would be in the rest room together, there was a large room everyone went in their breaks, I would find myself noticing it. It was smaller than many other peoples rings but it just looked so elegant even for the size it was. The setting was high but other than that it was a normal setting, no fancy bits just a normal setting with those chenier set circles under the shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results