shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! Some movement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I won''t bore you with the details but the ball is rolling! The financial situation has been cleared and we''re officially shopping for a ring!

Before, my boyfriend has told me repeatedly that he wants to pick out the stone and make it a total surprise. But now he''s willing to look for a stone together - he says he knows how much this means to me and he thinks I''ll really enjoy the process, most likely a lot more than him (he''s also scared he won''t remember everything I''ve taught him
2.gif
). I told him that we can look at the loose diamonds together and I''ll tell him which ones I like. Then he can choose and take care of the rest so that it''ll still be kind of a surprise.

We''re both super-busy at work this week
8.gif
but we''re gonna try to visit the NYC diamond district as soon as we can. I''ve even emailed ERD to try to set an appointment! Yay!!!!
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s killer!!! Congrats Jen, so happy everything has worked out. Mark is a doll, you''ll LOVE working with him.

sleeping beauty

Shiny_Rock
YAY
36.gif
i''m so happy that things are finally moving up for you guys. you have been so patient i admire you. We are also working with mark @ ERD and he is just awesome to work with. he works really fast and is so patient. i just love him.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, neatfreak and sleeping beauty! I emailed them last night and Gary responded almost immediately (do either of you have any experience with him?). My boyfriend and I were discussing our crazy schedule this week and tonight(!) seems to be the best day. So I emailed Gary and asked if we can stop by tonight although it''s very short notice. Cross your fingers for me!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
woo hoo!!! congratulations on progress and for things working out so soon!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 9:12:37 AM
Author: JenStone
Thanks, neatfreak and sleeping beauty! I emailed them last night and Gary responded almost immediately (do either of you have any experience with him?). My boyfriend and I were discussing our crazy schedule this week and tonight(!) seems to be the best day. So I emailed Gary and asked if we can stop by tonight although it''s very short notice. Cross your fingers for me!

I''ve only dealt with Mark, but have seen posters who dealt with Gary and they all seemed to have the same positive opinions of him! Have fun!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I hadn''t heard back from Gary so I called just to see if I need to clear my schedule for tonight or not. The receptionist said Gary is not in yet so I left a message for him to call me back when he arrives. 5 minutes later, I get a call from Mark Turnowski himself! He said we can definitely do tonight and either Gary or Mark will meet with us. Hooray!!! So far, I''m very impressed with their service and prompt communication.
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Jen! Great news!
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news Jen-pick a good one!!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so exciting! Have fun!

sleeping beauty

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 10:51:45 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 5/21/2007 9:12:37 AM

I''ve only dealt with Mark, but have seen posters who dealt with Gary and they all seemed to have the same positive opinions of him! Have fun!
Same here only dealt with Mark. but i second neatfreat. Good luck on your visit tonight. Let us know how it went.

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
I tried to reply earlier, but something happened and it never posted. Can''t wait to hear how it went tomorrow!!!!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! This is so exciting! My boyfriend is also one who wants ideas from me but wants to do the actual shopping alone. I can''t imagine how exciting it would be to actually go see diamonds and try things on! I get tempted to do this on my own but never do, out of fear of seeming "pathetic" somehow
40.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
The meeting was awesome!!! My boyfriend and I had tried on rings together before but we had never really sat down and examined loose diamonds. It was so exciting to look at them with a loupe, under different lighting conditions, etc.

Gary explained that ovals are not quite in demand now (cushions are very popular right now, they said) so he had some difficulty locating three well-cut stones in our price range. However, he got Mark involved in the search as well and they managed to find three very beautiful ovals for us in such a short time period. All had minimal bowtie, sparkled like crazy, and were very well cut.

However, I immediately ruled one out because I could definitely see the color (it was a G). There was another G, but we could hardly believe they were the same color because this one looked so much whiter than the other. The last one was an F and we had a bit of trouble telling apart the white G from the F.

I was debating between the G and F for a long time – they were both such beautiful diamonds. In the end, I decided I liked the G better than the F. The overall shape of the G was a bit rounder (plump), and so more pleasing to my eyes. In addition, the G had 4 pavillion mains while the F had 6. Due to the less facets, the G had a more “organized sparkle,” if that makes sense. Like Gary kept repeating, it’s all a matter of personal preference.

When I told Gary my decision, he smiled and said that this was the first stone he pulled for me and he knew that I would like it.

Although I loved the G, I asked Gary to put it on hold while we think about it. I just felt like I shouldn’t rush into making such a big purchase, you know? I feel like I should go look at some more stones, visit a few more places, before taking the plunge.

However, I thought about the stone all night. ERD has a stellar reputation, and I trust Mark and Gary to have chosen the very best stones that were available. My mother even marveled at how reasonable ERD’s prices are. Plus I don’t know of any other places in the NY metropolitan area (aside from GoG, but their prices are more expensive than ERD’s) where I can really trust the jeweler.

My mother says that if I really like the stone, I should go for it. Especially since ovals are less common right now. My boyfriend said he’ll go to every jeweler with me until I make my decision (if that’s what it takes), but he really liked the G from last night too.

What do you think? Should I go for it or keep looking just to see what’s out there?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the stats, Jen. All inquiring minds want to know the details. Did you get a chance to view them under the Idealscope?

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 12:32:55 PM
Author: Chrono
Post the stats, Jen. All inquiring minds want to know the details. Did you get a chance to view them under the Idealscope?

I didn''t view them under an Idealscope. But here are the stats to the G, as requested:

Oval Brilliant
1.50ct, G SI1
8.65 x 6.30 x 4.10
Depth: 65.1%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Extremely Thick, faceted
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None
Ratio: 1.37

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like it could potentially be a very pretty oval. I know ERD has great eyes so I would trust them too. Don't forget to post pics.
11.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy that things started moving, and wow are they moving fast! Can''t wait to see that beautiful diamond... on your hand!
36.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I both want to get this going as soon as possible; however, we''re both sooooooo busy the next few weeks. My mother knows this so she helped out a bit yesterday by calling the two jewelers her and her friends use and trust. She read them the specs, asked them if it''s a fair price, asked if they have anything comparable, etc. They told her that it''s a good price, and told her the same thing Gary had said - they''re cutting less ovals these days so good ovals are a bit harder to come by. They said they have some ovals in the 1-1.3ct range and we''re more than welcome to stop by to look at them.

My mother then asked me if I really liked the diamond, and if I trust ERD. I answered yes to both. She then said, "Well if you found something you really like, why wait any longer?"

So I emailed Gary last night and told him we''ll take it!

I also emailed him a picture of the setting that I want (picture below).

I''m out of the picture from here. My boyfriend won''t tell me anything else. Now the real wait begins!!!!

Oval-PearSides.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh how exciting!! Congrats on getting the diamond!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! It sounds like a great stone and a gorgeous setting!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-that''s great! It sounds like it''s going to be a fabulous ring! (And I also have a 1.5 G/SI1 (radiant), so I liked your diamond right away!
5.gif
)

I''ve read your previous posts and I''m glad things are moving along for you! I can''t wait to see the finished product, hopefully soon!
3.gif

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/23/2007 9:32:53 AM
My boyfriend and I both want to get this going as soon as possible; however, we''re both sooooooo busy the next few weeks. My mother knows this so she helped out a bit yesterday by calling the two jewelers her and her friends use and trust. She read them the specs, asked them if it''s a fair price, asked if they have anything comparable, etc. They told her that it''s a good price, and told her the same thing Gary had said - they''re cutting less ovals these days so good ovals are a bit harder to come by. They said they have some ovals in the 1-1.3ct range and we''re more than welcome to stop by to look at them.

My mother then asked me if I really liked the diamond, and if I trust ERD. I answered yes to both. She then said, ''Well if you found something you really like, why wait any longer?''

So I emailed Gary last night and told him we''ll take it!

I also emailed him a picture of the setting that I want (picture below).

I''m out of the picture from here. My boyfriend won''t tell me anything else. Now the real wait begins!!!!

WHOO HOO! WHOO HOO! WHOO HOO! YIPPIE!!! SO excited for you! I''m glad you decided to go with the diamond you saw - it sounds like it was beautiful! I''m really glad that the family things with his parents have been figured out and that the two of you are able to proceed with your own lives. Can''t wait to hear how it happens!!!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I (stupidly) did not take my camera to our initial appointment, and was starting to forget what the diamond looked like. But today Gary sent me a picture of the diamond with the two side stones he had found! The pear on the left has a bowtie from the angle the picture was taken, but I don''t care - just look at my center diamond! Isn''t she a beaut? It actually looks sooo much more sparkly in real life, but I''m happy with this picture for the time being! Now I can stare at this and remember just how gorgeous it was....

1.50 oval with 0.58tw pear shapes 4.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow it''s beautiful!! Sparkly sparkly!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on getting your diamonds! They are gorgeous!
30.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results