shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! What should I do, A Dispute Between my ring designer and the place I bought my main stone!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eric8711

Rough_Rock
Help! What should I do.
I bought a center stone from Union Diamond, very happy with the stone.

I had a ring custom designed, I think I'm happy though I've only seen pictures.

Union Diamond offered to set the main stone for free so I could be sure I was protected in case she didn't like it or said no.

Here is my dilemma, Union Diamond says the setting is too large for the stone. The designer had my certificate with exact proportions of the stone and swears it was made right and union diamond must not know how to set a stone correctly if they are saying this.

Please see the email below from Union Diamond as well as pictures. I am not sure who to believe here... any advice is GREATLY appriciated!

Thanks
Eric

----------

Just for your information before the diamond is set, with the seat
(notches) being cut into the prongs the diamond should be just sitting at the top of the prongs with the girdle at the top of or barely inside the top of the prongs. The pic from the top (sorry its blurred) shows how far down inside the ring the diamond sets.

The prongs would have to be bent over the diamond after notching and the bend would be in the middle of where the top pave' diamond is in the prong.

Also the bottom of the ring is scratched as if the piece had not been polished or Rhodium plated.

Last but not least the pave' set diamonds in the prongs should have been set after the center diamond as it is not possible to not disturb them when setting the center stone. In this your jeweler was right and they should not have been finished.

Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Jeff

Jeff Skelpsa
Graduate Gemologist, GIA
Phone: /c:/users/nagyfa~1/appdata/local/temp/low/__skypeietoolbar_cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.compat.flex.w16.gif)" onclick="javascript:skype_tb_SwitchDrop(this,'0','sms=0');return" skype_tb_stopevents();" onmouseout="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'0',0,1,16,0);" skypeid="0" skypeaction="drop" skypesms="0">/c:/users/nagyfa~1/appdata/local/temp/low/__skypeietoolbar_cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/us.gif)"> 770-319-9155
Toll Free: /c:/users/nagyfa~1/appdata/local/temp/low/__skypeietoolbar_cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.compat.flex.w16.gif)" onclick="javascript:skype_tb_SwitchDrop(this,'1','sms=0');return" skype_tb_stopevents();" onmouseout="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'1',0,1,16,0);" skypeid="1" skypeaction="drop" skypesms="0">/c:/users/nagyfa~1/appdata/local/temp/low/__skypeietoolbar_cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/us.gif)"> 800-319-9155
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results