shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know the prices of diamonds 10 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
My mum was telling me how she paid $5k for a good one carat 20 years ago.. I have no idea if she over paid for that.. So that left me wondering how many percent has the price of diamonds went up in last 10 years.. It could be prices for 1,2,3 carats.. Do you think diamonds many good investment piece if its over a carat big?

slyons29

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, that''s a really good question -- when most of my friend got married about 10-12 years ago, most with a carat (rounds, princess and pears where the popular ones then) they ranged from $3K-$6K, but of course I don''t know what cut quality they were.

And since pricescope didn''t exist back then I''m guessing they all weren''t the best cut grades
20.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/20.gif" border=0>.

My sister''s husband bought her a Marquise (which she didn''t like but kept) of about .9 carats with a so-so color and mediocre cut grade (J/SI2) from Fortunoff, (which I am currently referring to as "RIPYOUOFF"). He spent a total of $4K on a flimsy white gold setting that was already falling apart at their 8 year wedding annivesary and then one of her prongs came loose and she lost her stone. (But found, remarkably, on her front stoop!) Hey, he didn''t know better, but now I do and am trying to help her decide on a reset or a different ring all together.

Anwyhoo, I think it''s hard to find solid prices, knowing what people know now. I''m guessing that the average consumer was only look at the 4Cs back then.

Just my two cents!

tx,

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Thank Bella for the link.. That was an interesting article..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have Rapaport Sheets from way more than 10 years ago. What Date, shape, weight, color and clarity is the stone. We can readily construct a percentage change for that from then to now.

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Oldminer, do you have the link to the Rapaport Sheets? I cant seem to find it from your link.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results