shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been reading the tutorials and have a few question I know some of you experts can answer.

When you''re looking at the crown and pavilion angles do you want those numbers to be close to the same?
I''m also confused about the girlde. I understand what it is, but what is the optimal girdle you should look for with a princess?
Would you only buy a stone with ideal or excellent polish and symmetry? I''m wondering how much difference it makes between ideal and excellent; excellent and very good. Last question, with a princess stone is there a dept percentage that is too big?

Thanks so much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2008 4:31:13 PM
Author:Laurie2
I've been reading the tutorials and have a few question I know some of you experts can answer.

When you're looking at the crown and pavilion angles do you want those numbers to be close to the same?
I'm also confused about the girlde. I understand what it is, but what is the optimal girdle you should look for with a princess?
Would you only buy a stone with ideal or excellent polish and symmetry? I'm wondering how much difference it makes between ideal and excellent; excellent and very good. Last question, with a princess stone is there a dept percentage that is too big?

Thanks so much.
Hi Laurie,

I take it these questions pertain to Princess? The angles aren't used in the same way as with rounds, so don't worry about that too much, girdle - avoid very thin, ex thin as this can be a durability risk, look at the whole diamond to judge it and evaluate the girdle with trusted vendor/ appraiser input.
Polish and symmetry, good and above is said to look the same to the naked untrained eye, however if you want a ' superideal' Princess then excellent to ideal would be what to expect, however don't rule out a diamond you like if it is graded good for one or both. Also work with a vendor who can supply photos and ASET preferably to help you choose.
Depth doesn't indicate face up spread in the same way as it can with rounds, read this article by Paul Slegers to learn more.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/21/1/The-matter-of-depth-in-a-princess-cut.aspx

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Loreli,
Thank you. I''ve been looking at diamonds at whiteflash and bluenile. Blue nile has this signature Ideal line of stones that a re their best cut and have excellent polish and symmetry. Have you heard of people here that have bought one of those? I''m going to read the article you suggested right now.

ILIKETOLEARN

Rough_Rock
Someone will be posting soon to steer you away from bluenile,especially with a princess cut stone.Not enough info,price,ect...

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had great luck with Blue Nile...have bought a bunch of diamonds (including a princess) and have been very happy with their quality and service. They have a generous 30 day return policy which beats the popular vendors here.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for a princess for a friend once and the only thing that really helped me was to MAKE CERTAIN I only looked at AGS 0 diamonds. Numbers don''t help so much with princesses. Lots of people did warn me that not all blue nile signature ideal princesses are created equal. AGS grades for light performance, which pretty much equals beauty, so if it''s AGS 0, you can trust it to be beautiful. Whiteflash has their ACAs and expert selections which are great, and I think it was uniondiamonds that also had a great selection of AGS 0.

ILIKETOLEARN

Rough_Rock
I also bought a Blue Nile Signature Princess,and it is absolutely beautiful. My wife loves it!!

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Kelli,
Now I''m confused. I was looking at the ags report on some stones at whiteflash. I only was a rating for color and clarity. Does the ags not take into account the cut? I like warmer stones so I''m looking and H and I and those don''t rate so well because of the color.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2008 5:12:41 AM
Author: Laurie2
Kelli,
Now I'm confused. I was looking at the ags report on some stones at whiteflash. I only was a rating for color and clarity. Does the ags not take into account the cut? I like warmer stones so I'm looking and H and I and those don't rate so well because of the color.
Laurie, AGS0 cut grade doesn't take into account the colour or clarity, only the performance of the diamond - no worries! I have heard of some nice diamonds resulting from BN SI, but I would look at the vendors with in house diamonds in order to be sure of what you are buying. Wink does some lovely ones too which are cut by Infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results