shape
carat
color
clarity

Home Paper Shredder

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I need a shredder. How much do I have to spend to get a decent one?

I have found 2 through very little research. Office Depot has 1 for 129.00
And Office Max has one for 139.00

Both are cross shredders rather than strip shred, which I assume is better.

Any suggestions?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think DH spent around $100 last year at officemax...for a cross shreader...but it is pretty small, more for home office use. Depends really on how much you have to shread. ARe you looking to shred years and years worth of docs or just shred on a weekly basis? The former I would say you might want to spend more and get a larger capacity one, the latter I would say go with the smaller $130 range and you''ll be fine, just expect to empty it after a ream or so of paper. They all work the same, in my experience.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One piece of advice from someone who's been through lots of shredders: Get one where the paper pieces go into a self contained wastebasket that you pull out and dump by itself rather than ones where the top shredder part lifts off of the basket where the paper shreads go. With those you will have all sorts of stray paper bits that go everwhere while you're trying to manipulate the top and the bottom at the same time and they are a b!tch to clean up.

We got one similar to this pic from Costco for somewhere between $100 and $150, which I think is a reasonable price for a good home quality shredder.

shredder.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ya''ll (!)

I do have several years of stuff to shred. I have also read to get one that can handle volume and not overheat.
What if I want to work on this for a day? Do I have to shred some and then wait for the shredder to cool down?

I''ll go our local Sam''s. Thanks Dee Jay, that''s a good suggestion about the wastebasket.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ann, ours came with instructions that specified how much/how long should shread. If I recall correctly it was something to the effect of give it a 5 minute break for ever 15 minutes of solid shredding, or something like that. Overheating is indeed a problem and can actaully ruin a shredder pretty quickly so make sure you give it some periodic breaks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got one similar to this pic from Costco for somewhere between $100 and $150, which I think is a reasonable price for a good home quality shredder.
We purchased a "Fellowes" shredder at Costco for around $75 and it''s held up well. Yesterday, I shredded three full wastebaskets full of stuff doing 20 min. shredding with 10-20 min. breaks inbetween and it held up strong.

FWIW, I bought a cheaper one at Office MAX for around $59 and attempted to shred nonstop for an hour or more, getting rid of loads of paperwork and the thing just flat out died on me! lol

I still have loads of stuff. I kind of wonder if it''d be easier buying a small metal garbage can and just burn all the stuff up in that! lol

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
We only paid $40 for our cross cut shredder with self contained waste basket. What I would spring for now that it''s available is one that also shreds CREDIT CARDS!! My parents have one of those...it rocks. Don''t know how much those are.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 12:17:01 PM
Author: FireGoddess
We only paid $40 for our cross cut shredder with self contained waste basket. What I would spring for now that it''s available is one that also shreds CREDIT CARDS!! My parents have one of those...it rocks. Don''t know how much those are.
Both of the ones we''ve had do credit cards and staples as well (the $59 did both). It''s nice for all the billions of preapprovals we get with the fake CCs included!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Great posts guys.

Hopefully I''ll find one tomorrow and I can shred all weekend.
Paper that is, not my cc''s !!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 12:17:01 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Hubby bought one that does CD''s. Not that we need that, but that means it will do CC''s too. Hadn''t even thought about that...haven''t needed it yet.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, I''ve been through a couple shredders already and you have a point...get one that has a pull out basket rather than one where you have to take off the top. I have one that you have to lift the top off to empty the basket and it''s a pain in the neck with bits of paper everywhere!

After this one dies I''ll definitely get the Fellowes from Costco with pull out basket and rollers on the bottom
21.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Umm...if someone in your house throws pennies into it, or othe fun objects, after turning it on, your motor may get fried.

I know you needed that advice!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 4:52:16 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Umm...if someone in your house throws pennies into it, or othe fun objects, after turning it on, your motor may get fried.

I know you needed that advice!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results