shape
carat
color
clarity

favorite chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 4:31:28 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 2/14/2007 4:28:30 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Kaleigh - Did you just write chocolate covered potato chips??? Interesting combo.
Yes, and where did you find these?
27.gif
I''ll try anything chocolate once!
They sell them at my market, and our local Pharmacy. In smalll plastic bags. I don''t think they have a website.. The company is Assher Candies...

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it has to be a milk chocolate Symphony bar, and it has to be one of the really big bars that you break off pieces in rectangles. When we really want chocolate I get one and my husband and my two boys and I split it.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that See''s offers some of the best chocolate around. I love love love their almond squares (allmonds with caramel) and their toffee is to die for. For those of you who don''t know (I sure didn''t before I moved here), See''s is mostly available on the West Coast only, but I believe you could probably find it online. Try it sometime!!

Does anyone remember Marshall Fields'' Frango chocolate mints? Of course, now they''re called "Macy''s Frango Mints" but we all know where they REALLY came from! They are so heavenly!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:35:34 PM
Author: KristyDarling

Does anyone remember Marshall Fields' Frango chocolate mints? Of course, now they're called 'Macy's Frango Mints' but we all know where they REALLY came from! They are so heavenly!!!

Remember them??? I have a box of them sitting on my desk right now. Want one?
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 2:03:20 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Bar none, the best chocolate I''ve had in AMERICA (land of the powerful corn lobby... and hence of cheap corn derived sugars, and hence of bad chocolate... in case you ever wondered why!) is...

VOSGES.

If you live in NYC, you can get it in their bright purple Soho shop. If you live in Chicago, there''s a shop on North Michigan. Otherwise, you have to go here:

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

I was about to say it''s overpriced. But honestly? I would sell my first born for their ''Naga Bar''. I swear.

And hey, I just noticed they do wedding favors!
that''s one of my faves too! love their different combinations!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:36:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Does anyone remember Marshall Fields'' Frango chocolate mints? Of course, now they''re called ''Macy''s Frango Mints'' but we all know where they REALLY came from! They are so heavenly!!!

2.gif
You have no idea how much I want one!!! SWOON!!!! I grew up eating those.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:41:19 PM

Does anyone remember Marshall Fields'' Frango chocolate mints? Of course, now they''re called ''Macy''s Frango Mints'' but we all know where they REALLY came from! They are so heavenly!!!

2.gif
You have no idea how much I want one!!! SWOON!!!! I grew up eating those.

They have all these different flavors now, but the mint is absolutely my favorite. YUM!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock

2.gif
haha!! DJ, we have a box of the Marshall Fields'' ones in our pantry!!! so you know how old those are!!
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:42:43 PM
Author: Rosebud8506

2.gif
haha!! DJ, we have a box of the Marshall Fields'' ones in our pantry!!! so you know how old those are!!
9.gif

Who knows what they actually put in those things -- they might last forever.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe cehra, you sure it's not a case of nail hitting head?
5.gif
just teasing, don't hit me.

but yeah you really shouldn't get offended (especially in a thread about chocolate, come on!), assumptions are almost all we have on an internet forum.

we just came back from schurra's, our local shop, and i went a little hog wild with the chocolate purchases, i got a box of 4 humongo specialty truffles for greg (grand marnier, cappucino, irish cream and another one i can't recall) and 2 chocolate marshamllow hearts for us..as well as two DOUBLE DIPPED chocolate covered fresh strawberries. yumm!!!
30.gif
30.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Just plain old Hershey milk chocolate for me!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Double dipped chocolate covered strawberries!?!? YUM!!! That''s what I want right now. And a See''s Marzipan!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that Ghirardelli chocolate is so smooth and creamy...it might be my favorite...they make great hot cocoa too.
emlove.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:21:43 PM
Author: Kaleigh
This just reminded me, I love chocolate covered potato chips by Assher Candies. Salty and sweet at the same time. Yummm
18.gif
HI:

Likely every bit as tasty as the Callebault chocolate covered pretzels....mmmm; I gave a bag to Heather (hmlr) when she visited me in Calgary last summer.....I think they were well received......
18.gif

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 4:54:17 PM
Author: Mara
hehehe cehra, you sure it''s not a case of nail hitting head?
5.gif
just teasing, don''t hit me.

but yeah you really shouldn''t get offended (especially in a thread about chocolate, come on!), assumptions are almost all we have on an internet forum.
I know, and I got really realy upset here and it took some time to figure out why. I''m going to explain it and then drop it.

I totally screwed up the other day where Ocean is concerned and having her thrown at me, no matter how kidding everyone may have been, really upset me. I really feel bonded to her now and having others meddling in that (even though just 2 days ago I invited it) really bothers me. I would hate to have our relationship threatened - what if she DID read that and DID think OMG how could I work with the crazy lady who called godiva of all things! - this ring means a lot to me and now so does she... she''s an amazing woman who has a very amazing way of creating jewelry and I feel very trusting in her, very comfortable and I feel VERY protective of our relationship now. I almost screwed it all up and I really don''t need any help from anyone else meddling in it either.

And no it isn''t a case of nail hitting head - it would take far too long and only have a 50% chance you''d believe me anyway - I care about process and characer and I want to be helpful - I am not greedy, out for perfection, or out to get more for my money by cheating the system. If Ocean hadn''t been brought up I might have laughed even though the posts about me were dead wrong - but lets just leave her and my ring out of it. I feel a fierce loyalty to her at this point and will do what I can to protect our relationship. She.Is.Amazing. Don''t mess with me!!!!!!!!! lol

:
6.gif
ff to enjoy v''day::

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 9:00:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I would hate to have our relationship threatened - what if she DID read that and DID think OMG how could I work with the crazy lady who called godiva of all things! I almost screwed it all up and I really don''t need any help from anyone else meddling in it either.
I''d respectfully suggest that more carefully considering what details/antecdotes you VOLUNTEER about yourself might be more beneficial in protecting your process/reputation/ego than asking others to stop "meddling". Half a dozen of us made the same, to us, humorous assumption/connection IN PRINT -- I imagine many, many, many more didn''t take the time to type it out but thought it nonetheless.

Should I start a thread this new "hot issue"? Nope, no I shouldn''t.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Teuscher chocolate....I was so excited when Teuscher opened up a store at Stanford, I always get their champagne truffles. I also like their hazelnut pralines.

I''m not a fan of See''s (don''t flame me please!). My aunt used to work at See''s factory in South SF and used to bring back TONS of chocolate for our family. I got burnt out.....however I did love the Toffee-ettes and Dark Molasses Chips.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 9:00:14 PM

I know, and I got really realy upset here and it took some time to figure out why. I''m going to explain it and then drop it.

I totally screwed up the other day where Ocean is concerned and having her thrown at me, no matter how kidding everyone may have been, really upset me. I really feel bonded to her now and having others meddling in that (even though just 2 days ago I invited it) really bothers me. I would hate to have our relationship threatened - what if she DID read that and DID think OMG how could I work with the crazy lady who called godiva of all things! - this ring means a lot to me and now so does she... she''s an amazing woman who has a very amazing way of creating jewelry and I feel very trusting in her, very comfortable and I feel VERY protective of our relationship now. I almost screwed it all up and I really don''t need any help from anyone else meddling in it either.

And no it isn''t a case of nail hitting head - it would take far too long and only have a 50% chance you''d believe me anyway - I care about process and characer and I want to be helpful - I am not greedy, out for perfection, or out to get more for my money by cheating the system. If Ocean hadn''t been brought up I might have laughed even though the posts about me were dead wrong - but lets just leave her and my ring out of it. I feel a fierce loyalty to her at this point and will do what I can to protect our relationship. She.Is.Amazing. Don''t mess with me!!!!!!!!! lol

:
6.gif
ff to enjoy v''day::
So, because I actually typed out the name of the jeweler we were all thinking about/implying, THAT made it worse? Ok.

And after apologizing I get, "stop meddling" and "don''t mess with you"? Ok.

You made a statement that could be far more damaging to your relationship with her than what I said, but you''re mad at me? OK.

*dropping it as well*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 7:39:04 AM
Author: Ellen
So, because I actually typed out the name of the jeweler we were all thinking about/implying, THAT made it worse? Ok.

And after apologizing I get, ''stop meddling'' and ''don''t mess with you''? Ok.

You made a statement that could be far more damaging to your relationship with her than what I said, but you''re mad at me? OK.

*dropping it as well*
Actually ellen it is nothing against you individually - in fact it is a blur to me as to who said what and all I know is that I got more and more visceral about it and had to leave for a while... and when I came back I clicked on the last page and read ONE post and that was by mara... I still haven''t gone back to read the rest because I just don''t want to go there. So I have seen no apologies and really - none are needed, but I appreciate it. I don''t think anyone did anything truly unreasonable, but I do feel very much in a protective state and that''s where I''m coming from and that''s the only thing I wanted to get across because it is the reason that I for once didn''t run with the humor and laugh with you. And for the record this morning your post ellen is the ONLY post I''ve read and the rest will have to wait for the afternoon. I''m not mad at *you*. And I don''t remember ever feeling mad at *you*. I don''t remember feeling mad at *anyone* in particular - just protective of the relationship. Anyway... that''s all for now... busy day -sorry for making you think I was mad at you individually.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 10:48:22 AM

Actually ellen it is nothing against you individually - in fact it is a blur to me as to who said what and all I know is that I got more and more visceral about it and had to leave for a while... and when I came back I clicked on the last page and read ONE post and that was by mara... I still haven''t gone back to read the rest because I just don''t want to go there. So I have seen no apologies and really - none are needed, but I appreciate it. I don''t think anyone did anything truly unreasonable, but I do feel very much in a protective state and that''s where I''m coming from and that''s the only thing I wanted to get across because it is the reason that I for once didn''t run with the humor and laugh with you. And for the record this morning your post ellen is the ONLY post I''ve read and the rest will have to wait for the afternoon. I''m not mad at *you*. And I don''t remember ever feeling mad at *you*. I don''t remember feeling mad at *anyone* in particular - just protective of the relationship. Anyway... that''s all for now... busy day -sorry for making you think I was mad at you individually.
It''s great that you feel protective now...and after everything you''ve been through to try to find someone who will do this, I can understand why you feel that way. But I probably don''t need to alert you to the fact that you''ve been posting on a public forum. A lot. 4000+ posts in less than a year is a heck of a lot of posts, and because of that your posts are hard to miss. I''m a big believer in if something annoys me, I don''t have to read it - but I would never be able to ignore your posts (not that I would want to btw) because I have to scroll down at least a half dozen in a row on most days to bypass you - and since your posts are often short, I''ve already read them by the time I''ve scrolled. What can I say...I read fast.

My point is a lot of us know about your saga. YOU put it out there. There is no meddling needed by any of us for anyone to form an opinion of you - just like it''s pretty easy for people to form an opinion of me (and it ain''t always a good one.)

I hope you don''t take this the wrong way...all of us want to see your ring done and you happy with it!

But back to regular scheduled programming. Am I the only one who likes white chocolate? And does anyone actually ever prefer vanilla to chocolate? Does this make me boring? Hm.....
37.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
White chocolate is chocolate. .... Ok Ok, GOOD white chocolate is chocolate. The really good stuff is at least 20% cocoa butter which is from the same bean as chocolate. Unfortunately a lot of white chocolate we see in the US doesn''t really have an cocoa butter in it but veggy fat.
14.gif

Anyway, my current favorite chocolate is by Moonstruck chocolates. I haven''t had a whole lot of it, but man is it good! I may have to find a good hiding place for their packages! Not only is their chocolate divine, but they have non-fruit and liquour based assortments. I kinda detest any fruit and chocolate combo other than fresh strawberries.
I also scarf down those Lindt balls, I can''t check out at borders without buying three.
2.gif
I also love Godiva''s chocolate covered strawberries.

My recent biggest chocolate surprise was a red cube box of truffles I got for christmas. (similar to the whole foods and trader joe''s kind) They were really good, so I assumed fi got me some ''fancy'' chocolate. Turns out it was from Target!!
23.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
*actively choosing to ignore the drama*

I love vanilla! Especially ice cream. French vanilla or vanilla bean make me swoon! Did you know that the vanilla bean comes from an orchid and is actually incredibly difficult to harvest. I like to remember that anytime somebody says something is "just plain vanilla..." And vanilla is often added to chocolate to make the flavor more intense.

I''m not much on white chocolate but used to date someone that preferred it. It was really hard to find good white chocolate for him. M will eat anything I put in front of him. He was thrilled by the heart shaped reeses peanut butter cup I slipped in his valentine''s card.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG my opinion of you is good.
2.gif
You''re cute too.

I like white chocolate!! Last nite we had double dipped chocolate strawberries and one layer was white and one was dark and the quality of the chocolate was divine so they were just exceptional. White chocolate is sweeter typically and I really like sweet chocolate. But I love bittersweet too. and the combo of the sweet with the bitter was so yummy on the strawberry.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Dove milk chocolate or chocolate covered pretzels. For a while, I was really into good dark chocolate and truffles, but, like all things, I go back to something simple.

Edited to add: Plain white chocolate isn't my thing, but has anyone tried a white chocolate covered pretzel? Yummy!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After all the discussion about Godiva yesterday someone in my office brought in a box of it and put it in the kitchen for communal consumption. I held out until after lunch, but there was this one last lone truffle calling my name. I could hear it clear in my office... "Dee... Dee... come and get me!!!" So I do, LOL. I gotta say, it was pretty darn good (to me)!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread had me dying for chocolate last night. I was so pleased to see a chocolate fountain when we walked into the restaurant. The freshly dipped strawberry''s were to die for.
18.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 1:34:06 PM
TG my opinion of you is good.
2.gif
You''re cute too.

I like white chocolate!! Last nite we had double dipped chocolate strawberries and one layer was white and one was dark and the quality of the chocolate was divine so they were just exceptional. White chocolate is sweeter typically and I really like sweet chocolate. But I love bittersweet too. and the combo of the sweet with the bitter was so yummy on the strawberry.
Hehehe....that''s scary considering we''ve met in person. And no one ran away screaming out of that brekky place, so I guess your sentiments are returned!

That strawberry sounds like my cup of tea! I''m actually getting around to being hungry again.

indiejones, I can never leave that borders line without getting at least 2! One has to be white chocolate.

Sumbride, another vanilla lover, yay! When I was growing up, my brother and I were always opposites when it came to sweets. At McDonalds I loved the strawberry vanilla sundae and my brother wanted chocolate/caramel. I kind of like delicate flavors. For dessert last night I brought home a chocolate lava cake for the boys but also got a lighter coconut cake for me.

Slightly off topic, but when talking about sex, a friend of mine once told me that after you get married, you have"vanilla sex" more often than "chocolate sex". Being a vanilla lover, I thought, vanilla sex can''t be bad! It''s more subtle...refined...nuanced...creamy...
9.gif
Chocolate is more "in your face" and sometimes you just don''t want that!
31.gif
41.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
UMMMM. Choc. covered strawberries were my AI/VD treat too!! (Does that sound like I'm *diseased*?
3.gif
) The local candy store around here was advertising them on TeeVee and I mentioned it and the sweetie DH took off work early Tues to drive hellafaraway to get them (before the huge snowstorm here hit). He doesn't dig 'em so they were MINE ALL MINE! A whole darn box -- pound? I did eat 1/2 - darn you american idol. But I figured they'd start absorbing refrig smells if I don't eat 'em quick-like. HA! That's what I tell myself!
9.gif

VANILLA -- I love vanilla anything. Double, triple vanilla. I use vanilla creamer in vanilla coffee & would add vanilla sugar if I could find it. Nothing "boring" about that, TG!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 1:44:10 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Slightly off topic, but when talking about sex, a friend of mine once told me that after you get married, you have''vanilla sex'' more often than ''chocolate sex''. Being a vanilla lover, I thought, vanilla sex can''t be bad! It''s more subtle...refined...nuanced...creamy...
9.gif
Chocolate is more ''in your face'' and sometimes you just don''t want that!
31.gif
41.gif

heh heh.... I would totally be ok with that!

I also really like lemon... I hope other people do too because my wedding cake will be vanilla pound cake with some kind of lemon filling. Hoping my lady can do lemon creme mousse. I''m definitely a "subtle flavor" kind of girl.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 1:51:12 PM
Author: decodelighted

UMMMM. Choc. covered strawberries were my AI/VD treat too!! (Does that sound like I''m *diseased*?
3.gif
) The local candy store around here was advertising them on TeeVee and I mentioned it and the sweetie DH took off work early Tues to drive hellafaraway to get them (before the huge snowstorm here hit). He doesn''t dig ''em so they were MINE ALL MINE! A whole darn box -- pound? I did eat 1/2 - darn you american idol. But I figured they''d start absorbing refrig smells if I don''t eat ''em quick-like. HA! That''s what I tell myself!
9.gif

VANILLA -- I love vanilla anything. Double, triple vanilla. I use vanilla creamer in vanilla coffee & would add vanilla sugar if I could find it. Nothing ''boring'' about that, TG!!
LOL...yeah, kinda. I never knew what "Save the Dates" were until I had to my own wedding planning. It always made me blink for a second over in the BIW forum when I saw thread titles like "STDs, which do you prefer?"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results