shape
carat
color
clarity

I have two dresses now...which one?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

jcrew29adfg.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly?? I really like the front of the 1st dress much better. I think the empire waist of the 2nd dress is kind of shapeless and not very interesting.. The material of your first dress, in the pictures, looks more luxurious and I think the front really has such a beautiful pinched detail. But this is just my humble little opinion.. :)

On a side note, in many of your pics I can see your bed, which I love!! Where did you get the headboard from and is it wood or iron?? It's great!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 3:12:27 PM
Author: Independent Gal
The JCrew looks great on you, and the fabric actually looks nicer than the one you got at Macy''s.

Can you still take the Macy''s one back? Or sell it on craigslist or ebay or something? Or you could also give it to a ''white elephant shop'' or whatever they''re called, and that way maybe someone who couldn''t afford a dress any other way would have one, and you''d be helping whatever charity it is. I just thought of that because a good friend of mine got married in a condition of dirt-poordom and bought a wedding gown from a charity shop and was so thrilled and happy to be able to wear a gown for her wedding.

OK, I''m babbling.

My vote: JCrew!
Thanks for your vote!! The fabric on the jcrew dress is much nicer, but I think the other dress is more flattering...it''s tough! The macy''s dress is non-returnable since it''s past the return period and my mom cut a small part of it out to use as a fabric sample. However, I can definitely sell the macy''s dress and I think I could get at least $70 for it since it''s laundry by segal. I could probablly sell the jcrew one for about $50 as well...so the non-returnable part isn''t really too much of an issue, but the alterations do matter a little more.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 3:21:06 PM
Author: Sophie
Honestly?? I really like the front of the 1st dress much better. I think the empire waist of the 2nd dress is kind of shapeless and not very interesting.. The material of your first dress, in the pictures, looks more luxurious and I think the front really has such a beautiful pinched detail. But this is just my humble little opinion.. :)

On a side note, in many of your pics I can see your bed, which I love!! Where did you get the headboard from and is it wood or iron?? It''s great!
Well, your vote on how the fist dress looks pretty much sums up my thinking. It''s definitely more flattering on me. The jcrew one however has nicer fabric I think. The macy''s fabric is very very thin. EEEkkk, what to do??? I''m just not sure the slightly better appearance of the macy''s dress is worth $200 of alterations.

Opps, I should have made my bed!! The sheets are all over the place LOL! The headboard I purchased at jcpenny''s a long time ago for $50 on clearance. It''s some sort of metal, but not sure what kind. I''m not sure they have it anymore though.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for your first dress, too. The front adds some interesting detail :)

caligal

Shiny_Rock
First off- no more buying dresses!
2.gif
It would help if we knew more about your wedding... is it beach/destination? My opinion is the first dress is a bit sexier, shows your curves and bod. If you have more of a formal event- I would go with number 2. Both are lovely though!

laru0283

Rough_Rock
I agree with Sophie, I like the front on dress #1. They both look great on you, but I'm usually partial to dresses that are "different".
I think the JCrew dress is a little "cookie-cutter", but the fabric does look nicer.
You have a very tough decision!
33.gif
Good luck!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
K, from what I remember about you (oh so long ago), I think you''d look perfect in dress number two, with the beautiful fabric it''ll make you look so so classic and elegant. I say 2!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Though I really like both dresses, I think the first is much more flattering. Not only do I like the fit better, but I love the slight champagne color. I think it''s a beautiful shade on your skin.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m also going with the first dress. I''m not personally big on empire waisted dress, but the 1st dress with the gathers gives the dress a little flare and fits your body better than the 2nd one.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im also a vote for the 1st dress-I think its very pretty and very flattering

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one better as well. It is simple but also has some pizazz. The J Crew looks great on you, but I much prefer #2.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Start with the jcrew one since it fits. Ask yourself:

Do I love this dress and want to get married in it?
If yes, sell the other one.
If no, go pay a seamstress and get the Macy''s one altered and don''t look back. Its a little more interesting in the bodice detail but...

I''m partial to the Vivian cause the fabric is gorgeous! But it is very simple. Have you tried adding a sash in the middle or does that not help?

If you wanted to spice up the Vivian just a touch, maybe you could spend some of the alteration money you would spend on the Macy''s dress having a seamstress add a little beading to the waist. You could add it at the empire seam if you like the empire silhouette, or you could even add a band at the natural waist if you wanted to stretch the torso a bit. You don''t want to go too crazy, but if you just want a little something that could work. Should be no big deal for a wedding dress seamstress, though you would have to imagine what it would look like and presumably buy beads. I''m not a lace person but if you are I imagine you could also do some kind of lace sash.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I love you in the first dress!! I think you look amazing in it where you look kind of shapeless in the j crew dress. You have such a nice figure you should show it off!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like both. If you decide to go with the JCrew one, I''d prob add a sash or something to add something to it, but they both look great on you.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i way more prefer the first dress. it''s so much more flattering! the second dress is ho-hum, and i find it flattens you up top. it''s not exciting and just sorta hangs on you compared to the first dress. the first one is more lively. and glamorous.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I ADORE dress #1. It is lovely on you. Dress #1 hands down.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i vote for #2! fabric is a big deal for me and honestly i'd go for a nicer fabric... PLUS you could do so much with that dress... a double-faced satin ribbon tied in the front or back -- a brooch -- a silk flower -- great jewelry -- a blank canvas is not always a bad thing.... or dress it down for the reception with a sweet cashmere cardigan.... just some ideas ;-)

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
or even have the neckline altered to a sweetheart neckline etc......

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think dress #1 looks very pretty. Dress #2 didn''t wow me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 4:40:38 PM
Author: jcrow
i way more prefer the first dress. it''s so much more flattering! the second dress is ho-hum, and i find it flattens you up top. it''s not exciting and just sorta hangs on you compared to the first dress. the first one is more lively. and glamorous.

Ditto... although a sash would much improve number 2.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Have you shopped around for alteration "pricing"? I have no idea how much alterations usually cost (maybe $200 is cheap already- I have no clue), but if you could find someone who would alter the first dress for less, would that sway your decision? It just seems like you favor the first dress (if not, you would already be selling it since it will cost you more than the J. Crew dress in the end). Just trying to find a way to make the first one less expensive for you.

Just a thought. Good luck with the final decision!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the first. It seems really chic and elegant and looks fantastic with all your jewellery.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one a lot more than the 2nd one. It looks a lot more elegant and flattering.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, here are my thoughts. I think the second one needs some alterations also. The waist is still too big on you. Yes, an empire waist is higher, but it should still follow your waistline more than it does. I would look into how much this would cost...I think it would be MUCH more flattering if this was done. Then, you might even prefer the second one entirely. That might completely fix the problem. Then, you'd have the nicer fabric, probably less expensive alterations, and a flattering dress. If you like, you could always stitch on a sash underneath the empire waist...that could really pizzaz it up! Basically, I think this JCrew can be made into THE dress. I love the back vent and the beautiful material...but, I really don't think you're going to get away without any alterations. But, just taking in the waist a touch shouldn't cost too much on such a simple dress. You are a beautiful girl...and you are going to look stunning on you wedding day no matter which you choose! I know that sounds like a cop-out, but it is true. :)

ETA, if you do decide to sell the first dress, it is the kind of thing I would love to have for the second part of my reception...the bowling part where I need something looser...so please put a link to wherever you put it up for sale!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 4:40:38 PM
Author: jcrow

I totally agree! I vote for the first dress - it looks beautiful on you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the first dress when you first got it and I love it still. I''s unique, and so very elegant. If you have a skilled seamstress to do the alterations, that''s the one I''d go with, hands down.

The bodice on the second dress looks a little tight to me. Beyond that, the main thing it has going for it is its simplicity... which is some thing I think your first choice does so much better!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 4:15:10 PM
Author: cara
Start with the jcrew one since it fits. Ask yourself:

Do I love this dress and want to get married in it?
If yes, sell the other one.
If no, go pay a seamstress and get the Macy''s one altered and don''t look back. Its a little more interesting in the bodice detail but...

I''m partial to the Vivian cause the fabric is gorgeous! But it is very simple. Have you tried adding a sash in the middle or does that not help?

If you wanted to spice up the Vivian just a touch, maybe you could spend some of the alteration money you would spend on the Macy''s dress having a seamstress add a little beading to the waist. You could add it at the empire seam if you like the empire silhouette, or you could even add a band at the natural waist if you wanted to stretch the torso a bit. You don''t want to go too crazy, but if you just want a little something that could work. Should be no big deal for a wedding dress seamstress, though you would have to imagine what it would look like and presumably buy beads. I''m not a lace person but if you are I imagine you could also do some kind of lace sash.
alot of really good ideas here!! maybe a nice vibrant sash, or a sash with a nice crystal brooch for a fancier look might be nice!

(but I still vote for #1)...lol

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
#1 hands down!

I don''t think # 2 does a thing for your figure.

Please don''t make a decision on your wedding gown based on saving a couple hundred dollars. In the long run - you will not be happy that you saved $200 on alterations if you are not really happy with your wedding dress. It is a once in a lifetime event. I was a two dress bride in 1992, and I am so glad that I switched to the gown I ended up wearing. I lost about $300 in the deal, but have never regretted it. I would have been disappointed every time I looked at my wedding pictures.

I think you look stunning in # 1. # 2 is very ordinary looking, but # 1 has a unique look to it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay KC I gotta say this.... either show your face or do a marie antoinette because that semiblur thing is just CREEPY lol
<~ watching children of the corn haha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results