shape
carat
color
clarity

How to clean a halo, pave setting and pave wedding band???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
I just got my ring reset into a halo setting, pave, and a new pave wedding band. I am so scared of loosing a stone and I know I have to be more careful with this setting and can''t just whip out the toothbrush... what are good, safe ways of cleaning a pave setting?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the toothbrush is still a good way of cleaning. you can also use the ultrasonic....or not.
do a search. there are tons of threads about cleaning rings. we are an obsessive cleaning group here.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pave ring and I use the amonia based cleaner in the red jar. It works pretty well, and I haven''t lost a stone yet. I use a small soft toothbrush to scrub the setting.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Great... thanks for the tips!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The toothbrush is fine, but I do personally use the ultrasonic. Any melee that would come out just from the vibrations of ultrasonic cleaning is likely on its way to falling out if ''thwacked.''
2.gif
Some people don''t want to chance with the ultrasonic, but personally, I think you can''t beat the cleaning you get with that method.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 2:40:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
The toothbrush is fine, but I do personally use the ultrasonic. Any melee that would come out just from the vibrations of ultrasonic cleaning is likely on its way to falling out if ''thwacked.''
2.gif
Some people don''t want to chance with the ultrasonic, but personally, I think you can''t beat the cleaning you get with that method.
Ditto what FG said. I just don''t use the US as often as people might who have a more simple setting. I only use it once a week. The rest of the time is the toothbrush and ammonia method (or some variation thereof). HTH

shay

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hijack the thread... but if a stone does fall out in the cleaner would be it okay to take it to a local mall jeweler or is it worth it to make a drive all the way to the trustworthy jeweler who set the stone? I know everyone''s opinions on mall jewelers but can pretty much anyone put back a fallen stone?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 8:51:31 PM
Author: goldenstar
Sorry to hijack the thread... but if a stone does fall out in the cleaner would be it okay to take it to a local mall jeweler or is it worth it to make a drive all the way to the trustworthy jeweler who set the stone? I know everyone''s opinions on mall jewelers but can pretty much anyone put back a fallen stone?

If the mall store has an in-store shop, that would be good. If a mall or jewelry store doesn''t have a bench person on premises, then I''d hesitate.

Most areas have people who just do repair and setting work. Better to make friends with one of those people. Look in the yellow pages for listings of place that advertise they do work on the premises.

Most are fairly pleasant to deal with, and many will do it while you wait and watch, and will probably cost less.

As for cleaning a piece set with small diamonds in an ultrasonic, it is best to get a basket with tight screening or a screened tea ball thingy. When you take the item out of the ultrasonic inspect it carefully for missing stones, and look in the basket for any that have fallen out.

If you don''t have or can''t get one of the screened items, if a diamond falls out it should be in the bottom of the ultrasonic, but if it is hot, you probably should wait till it cools off. Run your finger on the bottom and you should be able to feel even the smallest diamond or colored stone.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results