shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - calling all who have SEEN a strong blue fluor diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 3:30:35 PM
Author: :)
Hikerchick, for kicks you can go purchase a UV fluorescent bulb (the purple bulbs, but make sure it actually says UV fluorescent)

- the coolness of what you see when you turn it on may make you want to keep it just to go to clubs with!

Actually, my job (cancer research) gives me access to UV lighting in our cell culture hoods, so I have already looked at it under there . . . :)
Also, when I went to the appraiser''s place, he showed me the diamond under UV. Unfortunately, it was nighttime and he couldn''t view the diamond in sunlight.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 2:52:07 PM
Author: hikerchick

It isn''t hazy at all until it is in direct sunlight . . . it is rated as strong blue, not very strong blue.
Unfortunately, as much as I want you guys to make the decision for me
9.gif
I am gonna have to decide.
We will try to see if the B&M stores will let us compare it to the others we have seen before we make a decision.
I have until Sunday to send it back . . . but it is SO shiny and beautiful and ideally cut and the price is right so we might just decide to love it for its beauty AND its quirky blue fluor . . .
I will keep you guys posted.
And, just remember, WF has an upgrade policy, just in case....
2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2007 2:56:01 PM
Author: oldminer
My real point is that grading strength of fluorescence is still subjective and that one can appreciate a diamond for how it looks, not what someone graded it. The fact that I like my fluorescent diamond should make you feel that it is your personal decision to like a stone or to decide to get another. What it is graded has far less to do with your personal choice once you understand that it isn''t a mistake to like a diamond with flourescence.
Here here!

I photographed Daves ring in direct (left) and indirect shaded (right) sunlight in August San Diego cloudless mid morning sunlight at the recent GIA Symposium.

You can see the very very strong milky blue cloudiness that makes the stone very dull in the left side shot.
But in the right side - even in very strong lighting - you can see the stone sparkles beautifully. The fluoro effect is still evident - but is it a distraction? Ii think not - I see it as an advantage becuase the bluishness (sorry about the pink overtone - environmental color) gives the stone an extra life.

Hope this helps

Fluoro Daves Ring.JPG

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you VERY much Garry for that comparison picture . . . my stone looks much closer in its haziness to the pictures posted by Ellen and Al and less so like Dave''s . . . amazing how much the stone can change in its color and appearance so instantly . . . its really cool . . .

If that picture is what is considered milky, then I would say my diamond is hazy in direct sunlight but not milky . . .

Isn''t the internet a great thing . . .
9.gif

Thanks you all so VERY much.

I will try and get a picture of mine tomorrow and post it. Thanks again.

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
My ring also displays SBF, here is a comparison of it under unfiltered sunlight vs a much more intense UV source... only then do you see a hint of haze. Hope this helps...
2006_1225Christmas20060061.jpg

2006_1231Christmas20060101.jpg

SKR

Shiny_Rock
I''m really confused now. I have read plenty of posts on here saying that haziness / milkyness is extremely extremely rare even in diamonds with very strong / strong blue fluor. So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:07:29 PM
Author: SKR

So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?
I''m actually *not* claiming haziness. My diamond has NO milky or hazy appearance to it IRL. The point of my pictures were to illustrate the blue body color that the stones takes on when in the sunlight.

However, it''s not hazy, not milky, and not lacking in brilliance IRL. Even when both diamonds are viewed in direct sunlight, I can''t see a discernable difference.

The camera picks up what my eye cannot.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
HikerChick- I actually really like blue flr. depending on the ring. Would I want blue flr in an e-ring? Maybe. It sure might help a my "I" asscher, but of the strong blues I have seen, I think they look a bit strange, and not my taste. Medium blue flr, I think, is the safer bet.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Hikerchick, I just got a J 1.75 from whiteflash with strong blue. I was very nervous as well before I saw it, so I know exactly what you are talking about.
I do not see any haze or milkyness in my stone but when in direct sunlight it has a blueish/purpleish overtone, almost like a glow from within. I thought it was very pretty myself. It has no effect on the stones proformance at all. I think that it looks great actually cause in the sun I see alot of fire as well. I posted a bunch of pics in my thread if you want to look there.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My asscher RHR has strong blue and it''s clear as day...

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:58:03 PM
Author: Kaleigh
ROFL - I initially read this as "clear as CLAY"!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:24:34 PM
Author: aljdewey

So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?
I''m actually *not* claiming haziness. My diamond has NO milky or hazy appearance to it IRL. The point of my pictures were to illustrate the blue body color that the stones takes on when in the sunlight.

However, it''s not hazy, not milky, and not lacking in brilliance IRL. Even when both diamonds are viewed in direct sunlight, I can''t see a discernable difference.

Alj,

Your diamonds are indeed brilliant and beautiful . . . not milky at all . . . just the cool purple glow . . . thank you for posting the pictures for me to see.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:52:38 PM
Author: KtIceRN
Hikerchick, I just got a J 1.75 from whiteflash with strong blue. I was very nervous as well before I saw it, so I know exactly what you are talking about.
I do not see any haze or milkyness in my stone but when in direct sunlight it has a blueish/purpleish overtone, almost like a glow from within. I thought it was very pretty myself. It has no effect on the stones proformance at all. I think that it looks great actually cause in the sun I see alot of fire as well. I posted a bunch of pics in my thread if you want to look there.
WOW !!!!!!! I just checked out your pictures . . . what a beautiful diamond . . . I am floored . . .
Great pictures, I hope I have as much luck with my digital camera and my diamond tomorrow.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:03:22 PM

ROFL - I initially read this as ''clear as CLAY''!
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Date: 1/3/2007 8:03:49 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 1/3/2007 7:24:34 PM
Author: aljdewey

Alj,

Your diamonds are indeed brilliant and beautiful . . . not milky at all . . . just the cool purple glow . . . thank you for posting the pictures for me to see.
hahaha - No worries at all, HikerChick.
9.gif
I''m not offended in the slightest; I just think that SKR was reading into the post in a different way than it was intended. I think she was reading it to mean that we''re all saying our diamonds are hazy, when it''s quite the opposite. We''re saying that the blue effect isn''t hazy or milky; just.....well, blue! LOL

The camera is able to pick up the blue hue, but in real life, it looks crisp and clear.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, I posted mine as it IS hazy. And the Gemologist who looked at it (after buying ), said the strong flo affected the clarity. It was REALLY noticable under high mag.

And Alj, SKR is a "he".
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here are a pair of jared's off the rack leverbacks that i have. both are bue fluorescent. actually both are the same i couldn't juggle the UV light, the camera and the earrings at the same time.

they are not in any way hazy, oily or milky in sunlight. they are firecrackers. and turn periwinkle blue at certain angles.

kemmabluehaze.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
incandescent light. i will once more to get a nonblurry picture.

kemmaleverbacks.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
fluorescent pear. no hazy. milky or oily. crazy periwinkle blue.

kemmaavavtar3.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
in direct sunlight

kemma8.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m really confused now. I have read plenty of posts on here saying that haziness / milkyness is extremely extremely rare even in diamonds with very strong / strong blue fluor. So how come we have so many people claiming haziness in their stones on this thread ?
I think your fears have been allayed SKR?

The other thing worth noting is that most times we look at diamonds in direct unshaded sun light or any other intensly bright light the body color of the diamond goes dark and unattractive - with just a small number of totally bright sparkles. (This is why also why GIA''s Diamond Dock is a bad environment).

So even if a diamond was hazy in that type of light, as Daves is in the photo above - no non fluoro diamond looks even as good as Daves does in direct sun - which at least has an ''interesting'' look.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:20:48 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/3/2007 8:03:22 PM

ROFL - I initially read this as ''clear as CLAY''!
9.gif
Haha, I can see that now, should have said clear as DAY!!!! My Oval has strong blue too, if I remember correctly. It is clear as DAY too!!!!
11.gif
31.gif

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 9:39:31 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I think your fears have been allayed SKR?

The other thing worth noting is that most times we look at diamonds in direct unshaded sun light or any other intensly bright light the body color of the diamond goes dark and unattractive - with just a small number of totally bright sparkles. (This is why also why GIA''s Diamond Dock is a bad environment).

So even if a diamond was hazy in that type of light, as Daves is in the photo above - no non fluoro diamond looks even as good as Daves does in direct sun - which at least has an ''interesting'' look.
I looked at one of my wifes RB''s which has medium blue fl in direct and indirect sunlight today and absolutely nothing, No blue shade/haze/shine/tinge/tint - nothing, it just looked normal. It would however darken at certain angles in direct sunlight.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/4/2007 1:05:34 PM

I looked at one of my wifes RB''s which has medium blue fl in direct and indirect sunlight today and absolutely nothing, No blue shade/haze/shine/tinge/tint - nothing, it just looked normal. It would however darken at certain angles in direct sunlight.
Strong and very strong are much nicer and more fun SKR.
Dave''s in the photo is off the scale EXTREMELY STRONG

Midway

Rough_Rock
Just another perspective to add to the dialogue. I looked at several medium to very strong blue stones when I was searching for my fiance''s engagement ring. For me personally, it was not the look that I wanted for her e-ring stone. The stones definitely had a blueish hue in sunlight. I can see why some would find this beautiful, but for me it wasn''t what I looked for in a diamond.

The only word of caution I''d say is know what you''re getting with strong blue fluor. I''ve heard many people on here, especially experts, sing the praises of blue fluor. But it''s too often presented as if someone would be crazy not to prefer a blue fluor stone. I think they look very distinctively different in certain lighting conditions. To me, they don''t necessarily look whiter, but bluer. I just don''t think it should be presented as, people in the "know" prefer blue fluor stones. If you do that''s great, but if you don''t that''s great too.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few pictures I tried to take . . . I couldn''t capture the blue halo around the diamond very well but I gave it my best shot.
BTW, I am falling in love with it so we are going to keep it
9.gif
9.gif

IMG_3580.jpg

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Another one

IMG_3581.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results