shape
carat
color
clarity

Jaeger-leCoultre or IWC watch for my husband? (really a psychology question too!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 12:35:28 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
One more thing -- I looked at some Patek Philippes the other day too, but I liked the Jaegers better. Are the Jaegers not as good though? Am I selling Bill short by not getting him a Patek? (Not that I really want to add a third brand of watch into my confusion but I feel like I have to ask... )

It''s kind of a matter of opinion ... but I think of Patek along the same lines as Rolex ... classic but "old school" (handbag comparison: Chanel or Hermes) ... Jaeger would be ever so slightly "new school", up-&-comer, hip.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Err, ignoring the prices, I''d liken Patek to Ferrari (the most known exotic), Jaeger to Lamborghini (valid competitor to Ferrari, but usually bought just to be different), with Rolex following along as Mercedes (lower in status and sort of the "default" luxury watch brand).

If he only has that Rolex, it''s sorta impossible to figure out his likes based on just that watch. Doesn''t show enough info, kinda like figuring out the palate of a kid who had PB&J the only time you saw him eat.

Anyways, I''d go with the Jaeger. And I''d stick to the ones that caught his eye. There are IWC''s that match that Jaeger in looks IMO, but if he never showed any signs of liking them, I''d forget about looking at them.

Same goes with Patek, etc. I love Patek''s. Would get one over a Jaeger if I had the means. Same with Ferrari over Lamborghini. That doesn''t mean I''d recommend the Patek for your husband (unless he never actually saw them, altho that''s unlikely if your jeweler stocked JLC''s). I''d stick to picking the ones you know he showed an actual liking to. Watches are too subjective to personal tastes. It''s kinda like picking an e-ring. Sure, everyone has their own opinions, but in the end, it''s best to go with what you know the actual receiver of the gift likes.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we're home from the mall. What an utterly fruitless trip that was in terms of figuring out a watch. I managed to steer him into the Tourneau store and the IWCs and Jaegers were coincidentally right beside each other in the cases. He tried on a different Jaeger (similar but bigger and thicker) and said that it was just too bulky. The sales guy offered to show him the IWC but the happy hubby said he didn't need to see it since he just tried one on the other day.

So, nonchalantly (yah, right!) on the escalator I asked what he preferred. His comparison was along the lines of the two he tried the other night and the problem is that he can see the merits of both. (I know what you're thinking people, and NO I'm not getting him TWO watches, LOL!) So I asked if they were the same price which one he would like and he said that he can't make that comparison becuase he knows they are NOT the same price so that will never be a mental option for him.

I said, well, figure out which one you like because I have some big deals in the pipeline that will close soon and I might want to get him one as a gift. No dice with that either. He told me to tell him when a closing was iminent and he would think about it again. Great. I don't really have anything that's going to close for a few months so the Jan 1 anniversary idea might be right out the window. Maybe I can tell him that I have something coming up and then pretend it falls through... Oh what tangled webs I weave--and all I want to do is give him something nice!!!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t you hate that? You finally find something they like and you can''t pin them down?
I love that Jaeger. I saw a similar Patek in the paper yesterday (Tribune) and showed it to DH. He liked it too. But it was $27k (Tiffany''s).

I kind of skimmed the thread. WAs the one he said was too bulky the one you are thinking of getting? I wouldn''t get it if he had even the remotest doubt. ARe you planning to buy it at Tourneau? If they have both of the ones you like, could you buy one and exchange it he prefers the other?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 11:56:16 AM
Author:Dee*Jay
I started a thread a few days ago asking about IWC watches but I need additional (translation: pyschology of the happy hubby!) help now that I have more/better information.

First of all let me say that my husband never wants anything, EVER, so when we showed some interest in a few watches at the party at my jeweler''s that I dragged him to I could have jumped with joy.

He liked two watches; one was an IWC and one was a Jaeger-leCoultre. The IWC is all stainless and he said it was ''cool and kind of retro.'' The Jaeger has a leather (I think maybe corcodile or aligator?) strap and lots of interesting dials on the face. His reaction to that was that it was ''a magnificant piece of fine machinery.''
Was there anyone else at the party that he could have discussed the watches with that might be able to give you some more insight into which one he really liked?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2006 2:43:07 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Widget - Ooh, I like your son''s watch. But, one of the things the happy hubby liked about the Jaeger that he picked out is that it was also ''sleak''. It was thin and only had on knob. He also liked the idea of the chronograph (but when I asked him WHAT EXACTLY he would time he had NO ANSWER, LOL!) and went back to the one knob idea. I think what makes the one he likes so expensive is the many many dials.

(Now that I''m thinking back, is it possible the model he likes has been discontinued? For some reason the tickness--or in this case the thinness--of the case came into play and now I think now they are being made much thicker. Does that sound right at all? [Aside: If I had know this was going to turn into a serious shopping expedition I would not have headed straight for the champagne table when we arrived!])
Ah my husband wanted a certain watch. Told me maker and style. Turns out they have changed and he HATES the modern style. So he gets to stick with his antique watch. Or his daily wear watch. Or I get to surf the net for the discontinued watch. Oh wait I thought you said you WOULD head for the champagne table since this was serious. Sorry mis read that. I''m at the champagne table. Maybe another glass of champagne for me and I''ll forget watch shopping.

Oh but I do LOVE the Reverso. Saw that years ago and thought it would be great to wear while gardening. Then saw the 11,000 price and decided I didn''t need that watch to wear while gardening.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait maybe the REVERSO I saw was a Patek because it was $11,000 at least 8 years ago.

Oh well. Get your husband a thin watch. That''s what he wants. Good luck with your decision I know it''s tough. I''m so NOT getting my husband a watch since they discontinued what he liked.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are in Phoenix for Thanksgiving and this morning we went to the Fashion Square Mall. While I was off nabbing the new blue book at Tiffanys (
2.gif
) the happy hubby actually went to the Tourneau store by himself
6.gif
. He was totally noncommital about what he saw so I bolted over there and tracked down the sales person that HH talked to. Turns out the sales person got no real indication from him one way or the other about which one he liked (again though he tried on the IWC and the Jaegers). The only thing that HH did say to the sales guy was that the bigger one (40+mm) are too big on his wrist and he doesn''t like the thick cases. So at least he''s consistent...

I think it would probably be a bad idea for me to try to surprise him with one. I will have to hold out for real and concrete feedback before I buy one because I truly don''t want to get him a/the watch he doesn''t want only to have him keep it becuase it''s a gift. What a pain in my butt this whole thing turned out to be!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha dee jay. ya know, most of us gals wouldn''t have any problem returning/exchanging a gift from out hubby''s for something we really wanted if they got it wrong. If they ok''d the exchange we wouldn''t keep it just b/c it''s a gift. of course, hubby wishes I''d be more sentimental about things and likes the way your hubby thinks, I want him to be free to exchange if I got it wrong. anyway, i hope this post makes sense
37.gif

i agree that if you''re not 100% sure, then wait until you are.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I think it's so sweet how much thought and effort you are putting into this gift and I imagine it'll be just as touching to him as the gift itself. As for the watches, my vote is for either a Patek or the Jaeger but that's bc I feel like the IWC is more comparable to his Rolex in value/type and style. I particularly adore Pateks but I do like that Jaeger style you posted.

I will note that I know more guys who would die to own a Patek (i like the Ferrari comparison) even though they wouldn't sneeze at a Jaeger. I guess it's just that if you are already going to spend so much money, I see more long term value in the Patek. HOWEVER, in the end it's still up to what the hubby would love most.

just my .02,

Diamondlove

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay,

Howdy, i just want to give you some facts about Jaegar Le Coulture. It seems many people are not familiar with the brand, based on a few posts, As a watch enthusiat, I truly want you to have accurate information so you can make an informed decision, regardless of choice. I do so, because I learned so much about diamonds on this forum and everyone has been so kind with their knowledge and info. Ok a few things:

Firstly, I would like to address Jaegar''s pedigree vs other brands. Someone said: "Jaegar is new school, up in coming, and trendy". NOTHING could be farter from the truth. No offense to the person who said that, but Jaegar''s pedigree is impeccable. In honesty, there is no comparison between Jaeger Le Coulture and Rolex, or IWC. JLC (Jaeger Le Coulture) was founded in 1833 with a rich and enduring history. Rolex was founded founded in 1905, and should be labeled as up and coming, new kid on the block, Hip and trendy in terms of craftmanship and age of brand Normally, I would say the founding year has nothing to do with the qulaity of a watch, but I''m A purist and in the case of mechanical watches it seems to be true (TO ME) Rolex can''t hold a bowl of water to JLC, not even close, I''ll list my reason later below. Ahhh, that felt good to get that off my chest. No offense to Rolex lovers, but Rolex (for me) is what Tiffany is to many of you.having said that, I Still love a true Tiffany Setting! He He!!!!!

Secondly, When one speaks of great watch pieces, among purist, among horolgist, among true aficionados a few brands come to mind: Audemars Piguet, Patek Phillipe, Jaegar Le Coulture, A. Lange Sohne and once upon a time Vacheron Constantine. However, after some bad years, Vacheron Constantine is making a come back. Why are the first four watches I mentioned the finest mechanical watches ever made? There are sevearl reasons, but primarily because they (the above four) are the only few brands that still produce their movements (ebauches), cases, dials, hands, and bracelets in house. Virtually every single component in a Jaeger-LeCoultre watch is hand-finished and produced in-house. The same cannot be said for Rolex, while they do produce in house movements for several of their watches, they do not produce movements for all of their watches, they buy them from a thrid party, probably ETA, which produces movements for80% of the watch market.

Thirdly, when one compares JLC to Patek it becomes very interersting. A little known and well kept secret in the mechanical watch industry is that once upon a time, JLC in house movements were so well made they sold them to other brands and still do. Guess which company use to buy movements from JLC: That''s right: Patek bought movements from JLC until 1910. Most recently during the 1970''s and early 1980''s, Jaeger-LeCoultre produced a 36 jewel, self-winding calibre for Patek Philippe. Needless to say, Patek now make their own in-house movements and are regarded as one of the world''s finest mechanical watch producers. Another well kept secret is that Patek was in serious financial trouble in 1932, JLC was going to but them out, but they were bought out at the last minute by the Stren brothers ( Still controversal). But a lasting testament to JLC and the movements they produce. Nothing wrong with a Patek, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM! However, JLC is not inferior to Patek, not at all, if you''re in Switlerland, stop by Patek and ask them what they think about JLC. They still will praise them for their movements if you pull them to the side. JLC also produce movements for Breguet and many other great swiss watch houses!!!

Lastly, when I mention movements I never defined what I meant. I don''t mean to talk down to anyone, but of you''re not familiar with movement (ebauches), it is defined as the Heart and soul of the watch, the "guts" (that''s my definition but not necessarily technically accurate). The gears which make your watch go tick toc without missing a beat. It''s what makes a watch a watch, which is why it''s so important and respectable if a watch company produce their own movements. Otherwise, you''re just buying a generic movement produced by ETA (more than likely), thus regardless of the watch you buy, the guts are the same and price is inflated when comparing apples to apples. Unless of course you''re buying a Jaeger, Audemars, A. Lange Solonge, or Patek, WHICH ALL STILL PRODUCE THEIR OWN IN HOUSE MOVEMENTS (ebauches), which is why they''re so exclusive,expensive rare, and sophistcated. However, JLC remains the best value in the mechanical watch business. YOU"LL NEVER FIND A SIMILAR WATCH IN THE SAME CLASS OF JAEGAR AT THEIR PRICE, NEVER!!!!! Will people know what a Jaeger is ? , probably not, but I don''t want anyone to know I have a 15,000 wrist watch. It''s beauty is reserved for the wearer, not for John Doe or the Johnsons''. Now there is absolutly nothing wrong with Rolex, especially if you want people to know you''re wearing an expensive watch. Rolex is Akin to Tiffany''s as far as brand recognition is concerned. But if you want your hubby to own a piece of watch history,buy your love a JLC, Patek,Audemars, or A Lange Solonge. NOTHING ELSE EVEN COME CLOSE. BUT PLEASE DON"T LISTEN TO ME (A WATCH SNOB!!) Be a True Pricescoper and do your own research.

I apologize in advance for misspelled words ( I rushed this post). I also apologize if I offended anyone or came off as arrongant or snobbish. The truth is I LOVE WATCHES and I can''t let you (Dee JAY) feel like your husband is getting an inferior watch if you chose JLC. In honesty, he''s getting a piece of artwork. Think Mark Morrell setting with kick butt GOG Super ideal or ACA WhiteFlash Super ideal. He''s also getting a piece of history.

One disclaimer" Swatch group recently purchased JLC, but they also own other brands, which people probably don''t realize. HOWEVER, ALL OF THEIR PIECES (JLC) ARE STILL IN HOUSE!! No compromise! One last thing, if you want to go barely outside the top tier of watches check out watches by Girrard Perrigeaux (ALSO LITTLE MASTER PIECES without the same brand recognition)

Dee Jay, even if you are a pain in the ass for your husband, as you so eloqently put it, I STILL WOULD LIKE TO BE IN HIS SHOES WHEN HIS GET''S THIS AWESOME PIECE OF Craftmanship.
2.gif
GOODLUCK ON YOUR SEARH AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK LIKE A TRUE PRICESCOPER!!!!!!!
2.gif

Oh check out this link on a short history of JLC and a few other watches. Brief and to the point. I hope it helps you make an informed decision. Make hubby look too!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 12:43:29 PM
Author: decodelighted
It's kind of a matter of opinion ... but I think of Patek along the same lines as Rolex ... classic but 'old school' (handbag comparison: Chanel or Hermes) ... Jaeger would be ever so slightly 'new school', up-&-comer, hip.
Salmon ... as you'll see in my quote above ... I was simply stating my layman's opinion of how the brands are viewed BY ME in the marketplace. I'd guess that the mainstream public would probably be more familiar with the general stereotypes I've absorbed as a casual fashion observer than the "true history" & facts you've helpfully recounted.
1.gif

Cool to hear about the history of JLC. I'm sure it would mean more to me if I had the same appreciation of watchmaking that I do for watch design.
3.gif

salmon

Shiny_Rock
My apologies if I offended you in any way. I just wanted people to have a greater appreciation for JLC. Nothing more. JLC isn''t as well known as Rolex, but deserve the same recognition. But as I said before, there isn''t a thing wrong with Rolex, they are very sturdy watches and well made. I''m glad you seem like you''re not too pissed with me. Thanks for your response.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, Salmon's long post was basically what I was too lazy to write (cept I didn't know some of the lesser known facts of JLC). So, I resorted to my car analogies since I'm a car guy. I felt the urge to explode with information like Salmon actually did.

I do confess to holding my nose a bit at Rolex. Yes, they make fine watches, but I guess I just know too much info for my own good. I bought an Omega instead of a cheap Rolex or a Tag Heuer (the more common watch for someone my age) cuz of Omega's history. Also, I'm sorta amused at Swatch's place in the Swiss watch industry (ETA is basically a division of Swatch). Swatch is known by the general public as a maker of cheap plastic watches (which I also enjoy). However, there's a parent Swatch company that owns many more "prestigious" watch brands (including Omega), and produces most of the guts for the swiss watch industry. They're sort of the Microsoft of the Swiss watch world.

I dunno, I liked Omega's history and enjoyed the relationship with Swatch because people who don't know the whole story just assume it's the cheapy plastic watch company. I've never thought most Rolexes were all that attractive and was annoyed at their popularity with the general public. Rolex just resembled Bose too much in my mind, even tho they're not as bad as Bose is. As for Tag, well, they boast a lot of accomplishments but not much can actually be tied to their wristwatches. They're basically just a fashion house like Gucci (after the relatively recent merger) and not a "real" watch company like Rolex at least is. Guess I'm just not afraid to offend.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have learned more about watches in a few posts than I have ever known!

Do you guys know the best makers of women''s watches?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow Salmon thanks for all that great info! The Tourneau store gave us some books on the IWC and Jaegers and I'm going to sneak a better peek when the hubby isn't looking. At this point it's almost certainly Jaeger but I just want to be sure I'm buying what the happy hubby wants to wear and not what I want him to have, LOL.

And I second what Diamondseeker asked -- who makes the best women's watches? (Can you see another addiction coming on for DJ -- just what I DON'T need!

2.gif
)

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for JLC. I''ve always liked them and the are a great value for what they are.

Glint

Rough_Rock
Hi DJ,
As my husband''s a watch craze, I sort of know something about hi-end watches. The IWC and JLC are in the same range. After seeing your husband has already have a Rolex with similar style band to the IWC only different color and proabably material, practically, I''d go with the JLC. Your husband can use the leather band in different occassion. Hope this helps.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the happy hubby saw right through my not-so-clever attempts to feel him out on what watch he liked the best and told me absolutely not to buy him one right now. He''s a "researcher" and wants to take the time to really learn about the different watches houses and various mechanisms before he makes a decision. So, my best intentions were for naught. How disappointing--I really thought I was going to be able to surprise him with something great this year. Oh well, he will indeed come to a conclusion at some point and I''ll be able to get him what he wants (which is far more important than just buying him *something*) but it just won''t be a surprise... Drat.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Rats!!! But actually, that''s probably a good thing. This way, you can get what you BOTH like!

It''s like SHOPPING FOR AN ENGAGEMENT RING, only REVERSED!!!! Hahahahahaha!

So I guess you''re in the man''s role and your hubby wants to pick it out together like a bride-to-be would!!!!!

I love it!!!!! Can''t wait to see what you pick out together!

I loved the JLC, too.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
What a generous wife you are!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Salmon: Interesting post. Thanks for all of the great info. I thought what you said about wanting people to KNOW you had on a $15k watch was interesting. My husband bought a Patek when we were on our honeymoon. We had never really looked at watches much before that but we found a beautiful one in St. Thomas. DH came home and researched it and the price was fair (not necessarily a deal per se) and he bought it. Mostly because the model was hard to find and he loved it. He hasn''t experienced one second of buyer''s remorse. It is a white gold with a black band and it is truly classic. It has actually appreciated about 30 or 40% (although I doubt we could sell it for that. Never mind since we wouldn''t sell it anyway). DH didn''t want a Rolex for the very reason that he didn''t want it to scream look at me, I have a Rolex. (No offense to you Rolex wearers). He and I aren''t big into wearing brand names. (That''s why I like Balenciaga. Most people won''t even recognize it).

I think at some point he might get another Patek. He wants a more casual one.

Dee Jay: That''s too bad about your hubby. I know how hard it is to find a great gift so I can relate. Do you think he will still get one of the watches? Have you looked at Pateks?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julian - it SO funny that you use the "guy buying an engagement ring for his girl" analogy because that''s exactly how I''ve come to think of it! I have new sympathy for the men who come on this forum and really want to surprise their girlfriends with the perfect thing and all of the rest of us are like, "No, buddy, get your girl involved!" Too funny!

Alisonfaye - I did look at a few Pateks and so did the happy hubby but for some reason the Jaegers appealed to him more. I''m sure it''s a function of which ones of each he''s seen, but Patek is definitely not out of the running.

BarbM

Rough_Rock
We live part of the year in Switzerland. You see quite a few of these IWC watches when having a coffee on the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich. My favorite ...a classic master craftsmanship.

Barbara

IWC Portuguese.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Informative post Salmon!

This whole watch issue is very confusing.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
I'm late to this thread so apologies but imho Rolex, Cartier etc are prestige brands but simply do not compete with JLC. I like some watches by Cartier and Rolex (e.g my Daytona) but in terms of movement IWC is definately better.

However, as a bit of a watch freak, the makers that really stand out for me are -

JLC
Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet (some Royal Oaks are stunning)
Breguet
Vacheron Constantin
Ulysse Nardin
Zenith

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results