shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Illusion Wedding Sets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missantique

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m new here but have lurked forever. My FH has gotten his grandmothers antique wedding set to give to me for my engagement ring, but I can''t see it until Christmas. His mother has told me that it is a illusion type setting that is very beautiful, but I have no idea what this looks like. She said that the engagement ring was something like a carat maybe a little over, and the matching wedding band is half a carat. Would anyone have any pictures that might be what my rings will look like? Or just something that might would give me an idea.

Thank you.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m just guessing, but "Illusion" antique set means to me that perhaps there is some metal-work around the main stone to make it appear larger than what it really is....a common technique a couple generations ago.

Maybe something like this? Fay Cullen describes it as an "illusion-setting."

p.jpg

missantique

Rough_Rock
Wow, that''s really gorgeous. Thanks KristyDarling.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen some that had a round stone but the metalwork is square. So it increases the size and changes the shape.

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
Hi Missantique, illusion settings are my all time favorite! Here are a few pics of what you might expect:

23359.jpg

ring29984.jpg

rg28232.jpg

Hope that helps!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
stunning!!!
30.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Typical illusion would be a boxy head like the one on the left, with either a baguette or a 5-stone with rounds on either side. Wedding band might be a 5-stone. Settings ranged from no side stones to rather elaborate side arrangements, depending on era. '30s and early '40s are more decorative & artistic. Late '40s and certainly '50s got plainer and moved to plain shank or baguettes. Also look at antique links in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/links-for-settings-antique-rings-online.16601/

The diamond on the left is 5.8 or 5.9mm, about 3/4 ct. size RB, and the illusion head reflector around it is 7mm diameter, to give illusion of 1.25 ct. I don't know the full width across the fake prongs, maybe 8.5mm. The ring on the right is about a 6.4mm OEC, diameter of 1 ct.

A 1ct diamond in this same style of illusion head (Stuller) but 1 ct size is 8mm across the round reflector, for illusion of 2 ct. Again, I don't know the distance across the prongs.
illusion4.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is Stuller 1ct illusion head solitaire with same shank as above, only in white gold. And an enhancer added to give it vintage "frills." If the enhancer has a rounded piece of metal to go around tha base of the solitaire, that can be cut out and replaced with a squarish piece that will fit around this boxy squarish head. An enhancer would be a good option if your ring turns out to have a shank that is too plain for you. (This enhancer purchased as an estate item on ebay. Cat hair courtesy of 2 housecats, LOL.)

wgIll1.JPG

wgIll2.JPG

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could look like this '50s set from another PS thread (search for illusion and you will find it). Variations of 5-stone e-ring paired with matching 5-stone wedding band were really popular. I am hard on jewelry I wear to work. For daily wear, I prefer an illusion setting. It protects the stone, makes it look bigger, and is very comfortable to wear.

ring_photos3.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn''t look like MissAntique is still around, but here''s my set anyway. It''s a 1930''s/40''s wg set. The center stone is only .35, so hers will obviously look different with a larger stone. IRL the "illusion" part is much less obvious--the edges of the diamond kind of blend in with the wg and make it look to a casual look, anyway, like a much larger stone. And I love that the setting protects the prongs and the stone--my original set had the prongs all smooshed and bent.

kaskjf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results