shape
carat
color
clarity

Christa--beagle owner thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2006 10:13:44 PM
Author: monarch64
PS admin (L. or I.?), thank you for the disclaimer--I agree it would not be a good idea to try to care for that type of problem if you don''t know what you''re doing!

Christa, so the problem is possibly caused by lack of usual exercise, then? Milo''s been fortunate enough to have made it through life so far without any injuries, and we have never noticed any seriously funky odors emanating from his back end (well, unless we pick him up from his grandpa and grandma''s and he''s been given too many treats, he hee). We have noticed before that sometimes he ''scoots'' his behind on the ground after going potty--is that their way of cleaning themselves, or does he itch, or what? This may require a google search.
33.gif
I do know that females sometimes spread their scent that way, but since Milo''s a male I wonder why he does that. We''ve never noticed any swelling in that area... sorry for the illicit nature of this convo., I''m trying to keep it clean, lol!
The scooting could mean they''re full and he''s trying to empty them, or just that he itches. I read that lack of exercise is one possible cause, and diet can affect it too. I did some research on it because honestly I was thinking we couldn''t keep him if we didn''t get it resolved . . . it was that bad.
14.gif
The smell is indescribable.

My sincere apologies for where this thread has ended up!
9.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Monarch ~
emrose.gif

Romeo
emlove.gif
is our baby, even though he is now 6 years old.
28.gif

We bathe him every weekend in the summer and ever other weekend in the winter. We use oatmeal shampoo on him.

Sometimes in the summer, and he has been itching and scratching alot, I will just get some gloves on and some olive oil and give him a massage on his back and rump area, let it stay on him for a few hours (outside) and them give him a bath. The olive oil does several things. It helps give his skin some added moisture, and conditioning. Keep the flakines away. I notice that when I pre-treat him with the olive oil (recommened by the vet) that his coat is so shiny, soft, and no dry skin, scratches less, etc.

I also, clean his ears out twice a month. What do you all use to clean out the ears? Do you guys use anything herbal?

My little guy is a lover, he doesn''t run around like he used to, but still muscular and shapely. He does like to dig from time to time, other than that ... he doesn''t have any tempermental issues. He also does not like water! Must be a beagle thing! He is so mellow, never begs at the table, he will just lie down by someones foot, and wait. Sometimes he gets lucky, sometimes he doesn''t. He used to have this gas problem, but ever since we changed his food, I haven''t noticed it like it used to be. I though he would on purpose come into the room, pass some gosh awful gas, and then just leave the room! Now, we just don''t see him doing it anymore (thank goodness!).

Here''s a picture of him ... I know ... it''s a he, but my daughter loves to dress him up still! It looks like he''s saying "O'' pleaze ... hurry and get it over with ... your torturing me!"

Have a great day!
35.gif

1Romeo.JPG

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
How cute, MDJ! I''ve seen that very patient look on my beagle''s face many times.
5.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Mrs. Darlin'' Joy! I didn''t know you had a beagle...he is sooo cute! He definitely has the patience of a saint to let your daughter dress him up. Milo won''t have anything to do with cutie little sweaters or anything I''ve ever tried to put on him.

So, I gave him a bath yesterday using some puppy shampoo I dug up from when he was little. He most certainly did not enjoy it, and spent about an hour licking himself afterwards! But he smells better now, that''s for sure!

I''m going to look for some oatmeal shampoo for his next bath. I did visit dog.com and found some alcohol-free herbal ear wash. It''s called Kelco Zap Ear Cleaner, and they sell a 12 oz. bottle for $6.99. We''ve been looking for something with no alcohol in it because we don''t want his little ears to sting...it''s hard enough to corral him and clean them out in the first place, so hopefully the alcohol-free stuff will teach him that it doesn''t have to be painful at all. He used to get really bad yeast/ear infections, and we discovered we weren''t cleaning his ears often enough. We started cleaning them once a week religiously over the past 2 years and he hasn''t had any infections since then.

I will also try the olive oil "massage," (boy these dogs sure get the royal treatment, don''t they?), sounds like a great idea!

35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch we use the Earthbath Aloe and Oatmeal for Portia...it''s great for sensitive skin. I got it at PetSmart to begin with I think. A bottle lasts me about a year.

Lately P has been itchy...she gets seasonal allergies sometimes like we do, but hers are more skin and sometimes sinus. Anyway, I use a Tea Tree and Eucalyptus spray on Portia for when she has the itchies, between baths. It seems to work pretty well. I might have to try the Olive Oil thing on her before her baths.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
MDJ...your beagle is a cute...nice to let your daughter dress him up...my dog would have none of that LOL

We use olive oil to clean Chelli ears...our vet recommended that and my BIL did it before my vet told us it was ok. My BIL said that''s how he cleaned every dogs ears he''s ever owned. Seems to work good as Chelli doesn''t mind it
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results