shape
carat
color
clarity

ring ordered and already thinking of upgrading : /

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madlove

Rough_Rock
I ordered the following ring 2 days ago from BN - it is arriving tomorrow:

.91 carat RB 6.29 x 6.36 x 3.80 I-VS2 / VG cut / EX sym / G polish / Thin-Medium girdle (faceted) / Pavilion angle: 40.8 / Crown angle: 33.5 / Depth %: 60.1 / Table %: 58 / Crown %: 14 / Pav %: 43 / no culet / no flourescence

The ring and imminent proposal this weekend (flying in to Phoenix for a mini-birthday vacation - Roger Waters front row!) is no surprise to my sweetheart... we''ve been together for 6 years. In fact, she is aware of the size of the stone and I let her pick what setting she liked best (http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4504&page=1&col=1&row=3&pos=7&set_shape=#)

She told me flat out that "a 1 ct. ring is all she wants/expects" for now, and since my ceiling was $4500 total I chose to "buy shy" (sorry for the Cuellar reference
6.gif
) My research led me to find what I thought was a very respectably sized .91, with solid numbers (all ex''s on HCA @ .9) so I ordered it - but my ceiling recently "changed overnight" and I can now spend basically double what I spent on this stone ($3,640).

I know she''d be very happy to have a larger stone (come on now - all women are size queens, whether they want to admit it or not
31.gif
) even though she''s basically said that "1 ct. is all she wants right now - maybe we upgrade at our 2 or 5 year anniversary". Anyway, the ring is being delivered tomorrow and I have an appraisal appt in the afternoon. I''ll base my decision after I get the results of the inspection.. but there''s definitely a part of me that feels we should just keep what we got, given the love & effort I put into choosing this stone.

My question, finally, is this: will the difference in size that $7000 can get us be noticeable enough to even warrant an upgrade now?

Browsing most of the online sites talked about here, I believe my current stone is among the largest in diameter in its carat class, with it''s cut numbers ranking it equally superior imho (esp. for what I paid). So far, my research is showing that $7,000 will get me anywhere between 1.2 - 1.35, H-Iish, and probably SI2 -- with a typical diameter of 6.8, maxing at around 7 mm. Is .7 mm a true "difference-maker"? Can anyone recommend some kind of online configurator where you can see stone-size differences by fractions of a mm? lol - Because if it''s not going to make a noticeable difference, I''d rather spend $5-6000 and get a really stunning full ct. (1-1.1) with some H&A action or thereabouts (again that''s if I decide to upgrade)....

Sorry for the epic post
24.gif
But i''d truly like to get some feedback... ideally, i''d love to have an eye-clean, G-H VS2-SI1 with ideal cut & symmetry, but i''m certainly open to suggestions... remember - the real impetus for me even considering this upgrade is for size appeal. She has a somewhat small finger size of 5 if that helps... thx all!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes! Of course go ahead and upgrade! Like you said, I''d go as large as I could and go up to maybe H in color and stay with VS2 or possibly SI1. You certainly can go up to an excellent/ideal cut. The size difference will be enough to justify the trouble. I''d for sure do it now. Too bad you didn''t know of the budget change before you ordered this one!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm tough question. as a GIRL i''d say sure go ahead and get as big as possible. as a self-confessed size whore i have upgraded a few times because i just love big honking stones!!!! we started out with a 1.23. the size difference from a 6.3 to a 7mm WILL be noticeable. hugely in my opinion. BUT is it worth it?? i''m not sure. how do you feel about this stone you bought. you mentioned the care and love that had gone into choosing this .91. would it bother you to return it and put some care and love into finding a bigger stone?

if you feel like you want to go ahead and give her a super happy surprise and don''t mind re-choosing a stone, then return the .91 and get a 1.2 or 1.3. i would not spend 5500 on a 1c and get a higher color and clarity stone. the reason for me is because i have had a G then an H and now a J and i would not spend on an E or F or anything like that. it''s a personal thing for me but i can''t see a difference really! so why spend the money extra IMO. if you are happy with an I now...then don''t throw extra money at it just because to make it an E or something. clarity also is not visible as long as it''s eye clean so IMO you could even go to an SI1 if it''s eye clean and get a bigger stone. maybe a 1.4 I SI1!

anyway, i love size and i would love it if my husband surprised me with a bigger stone that looked wonderful because diamond shrinkage DOES set in. and then she''d never have to upgrade. but if you feel weird about it, then stick with your .91. does BN have an upgrade policy for the future? if not you may want to take that into consideration now.

in any case, keep us posted! i don''t think you can go wrong because it sounds like you are really putting thought into what would make her happy and that is sweet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
okay, I don't have photos of exactly what you're asking, but I can show you how a couple of different sizes look. This is a .70 next to a .81 (both ideal cut), and you can easily see the difference. A .90 to a 1.1 will be visually noticeable as well. And I agree with Mara that if you and she like I color, you can go larger than the 1.1 range.

70vs81a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not sure if DS posted this one but it has great specs for BN:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00397368&filter_id=0

1.32 I SI1 for $6997 and 7.02mm

57% table, 62% depth, 35 crown angle and 40.8 pav angle. the 40.8 angle could balance out the 35. if it's eye clean then it could be a great option.

is there a reason you chose BN to buy from? was it this particular stone or the store? because you might have other options at PS vendors that might be more exceptionally cut for the same cost. just a thought.

madlove

Rough_Rock
"would it bother you to return it and put some care and love into finding a bigger stone?"

you''re right... in fact, I caught the bug for diamond-shopping and would love to continue the hunt for an even bigger/better stone!

the issue is timing... this proposal has been put off for long enough (*cough 5 years *cough) and this weekend is ideal given the vacation (it''s a very climactic time for us in a number of ways)... she and I both are so excited to get the ring - but sure, I guess we could put it off another week in the name of size. Heck, she deserves at least 2 cts. putting up with my non-commital arse for this long! And i''d do it, too - but i''m looking to put a hefty down payment on a house very soon - Marin County is a bit, um, expensive
26.gif
Thanks for your input Mara!

DiamondSeeker, that photo is very helpful - thank you! Can you by chance measure the diameters of those stones!?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 12:30:40 AM
Author: madlove
''would it bother you to return it and put some care and love into finding a bigger stone?''

you''re right... in fact, I caught the bug for diamond-shopping and would love to continue the hunt for an even bigger/better stone!

the issue is timing... this proposal has been put off for long enough (*cough 5 years *cough) and this weekend is ideal given the vacation (it''s a very climactic time for us in a number of ways)... she and I both are so excited to get the ring - but sure, I guess we could put it off another week in the name of size. Heck, she deserves at least 2 cts. putting up with my non-commital arse for this long! And i''d do it, too - but i''m looking to put a hefty down payment on a house very soon - Marin County is a bit, um, expensive
26.gif
Thanks for your input Mara!

DiamondSeeker, that photo is very helpful - thank you! Can you by chance measure the diameters of those stones!?
hehehe - propose with the one you have, and later give her the option of upgrading by 3.5k now or by 7k later LOL ;D

madlove

Rough_Rock
"is there a reason you chose BN to buy from?"

I liked the 30-day policy, plus I was finding that BN was the only place where I could see all the important stats I needed to see for my particular price range at the time... admittedly, I was too damned cost-conscious and I just felt that BN offered more options (plus I really liked the setting choices). That said, I definitely liked some of the stones I was seeing at WF & GOG... if we do decide to return this ring, I am open-minded to explore PS vendors (although I have to admit that I''m a little paranoid at the prospect of returning a diamond ring - what if the stone doesn''t check-out and BN says I somehow affected the stone in some way or even switched it out?! has this ever happened to someone?). I think I first need to see this ring up close - get a feel for what .91 looks like to the eye - and get it appraised right after.... found a GG (from PS) who is going to give it a less-than-all-out battery of tests for $60. Who knows - maybe it doesn''t check-out with the GIA cert.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a little while back a .92 as an upgrade (I have a marquise and wanted a round) and with our budget we got a great stone for the money. I do have shrinkage issues sometimes though so I wish I would have held out a bit longer as Wink (Winfields) has had some great buys recently that could have fit into our budget which were just a bit bigger. But I love my stone and would have a hard time trading it.
I would go with bigger as well. Your specs are good on the stone you chose. Your spread has about the same as mine...I have 6.27x6.29. Most people think it''s a 1ct and it looks big on my size 5.25 short fingers so that''s what matters. If you can wait I''d definitely spend the money and go for the bigger stone. I wouldn''t go up in clarity or color though. I own a D and now a G and I can tell you that I probably would go for a J ideal cut if the price is right. And both stones that I own are SI2 and I love that clarity range. For me, it represents great value for the $$. But everyone has their own preferences so go with what you are comfortable with.
Good luck...let us know what you decide!

madlove

Rough_Rock
"hehehe - propose with the one you have, and later give her the option of upgrading by 3.5k now or by 7k later LOL ;D"

lol! sounds like a game-show... "Don Pardo, tell ''er what she''s won!"

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
How lucky your future wife is - a man who actually enjoys shopping for and picking out diamonds. Does bode well.

I would go with a larger size now that you have the budget. Your fiance will really like it, even if she is happy with a smaller stone.

5 years - go ahead and propose - diamond to follow if need be! I knew a girl with a lovely 3 carat ring. We asked her about it''s large size and she said, yup, one carat for every year he made me wait!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Propose now, she has already picked the setting for this diamond, and frankly, she might just be tired of waiting! But, on the day of your wedding, why not surprise her with another diamond treat? What a neat surprise a pair of earrings or a great pendant would be...especially with a romantic note...that way, she has more wonderful diamonds to wear, and some amazing memories to go with it...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The larger upgrade would be appreciated, I''m sure, but have you considered putting the extra money into a diamond wedding band?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I say go for the upgrade now- your fiancee will surely be happy with it!!! There will definitely be a noticeable size difference. She will be pleasantly surprised!!!
2.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Upgrade now and surprise her. She knows she''s getting engaged and a 1 carat, but imagine the look on her face with a larger unexpected stone.
emrainbow.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since time does seem to be of the essence here, I''d go ahead and keep this stone and propose. She is going to be so thrilled just to have the ring on her finger, I don''t think she''ll care that much. Then you could take the extra money, and as reader suggested, buy her some nice studs , necklace, etc. Or, just invest the money and let it grow a few years for the upgrade.

I don''t know if your girlfriend is lying or not about just wanting a carat, but for the record, not all women want big. I''m one of them. We''re rare indeed, in fact some days I feel as if I''m the only one on here, anyway.
9.gif

If you hold off upgrading, she''s still happy with her ring, and you can figure out if she really wants bigger or not.
2.gif

Congrats!

bae7

Shiny_Rock
A couple of things that you''ve said, "a 1 ct ring is all she wants/expects" for now and "I know she''d be very happy to have a larger stone - go for the bigger one now. It may save you money in the long run.
1.gif
My hub proposed with a 1 ct - I love my ring but always wished it was just a little bigger. The first diamond would be beautiful, the slightly bigger would really knock her socks off.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
madlove, what about using a temp ring or a fake ring or something as a placeholder since time is of the essence? could you propose this weekend and tell her that you had something picked out but that you found something even more wonderful for her and it''s being worked on right now? she''d be SO EXCITED!!! well i would be anyway. hahahaa.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I would propose with the upgrade NOW than later. You''ll save more money in the long run and she will be SUPER surprised!

Or what you have is gorgeous, too. But remember, don''t tell her you were thinking of upgrading if you do keep this one... that''ll put the thought into her head of, "Hmmmm.... I ALMOST got a bigger stone." Shrinkage could ensue!
41.gif

I am sure she will be SO happy either way. What you have now is a LOVELY size and it sounds VERY firey. What a great hubby-to-be to think of upgrades so soon! I mean, before the engagement! Ladies, is this a new record?
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay wait a second... I don''t think BN has an upgrade policy - do they? Because it might behoove you to return that ring and go for the upgrade now with a vendor that has an UG policy just in case youw ant to upgrade again later on LOL

madlove

Rough_Rock
thanks for the responses - you guys rock! (pun delightfully intended, of course
19.gif
)

the whole thing with this ring/proposal thang... there''s really not that much surprise involved. she''s expecting a ring/proposal this weekend (possibly tonight), knows the setting style and ct. size, and ALSO knows that I''m considering upgrading the ring [meanwhile, i''m sitting here on pins and needles waiting for FedEx to deliver it - so much for "Priority Overnight by 10:30 am"! oh wait! here they are...... . . ... .... I think I just threw up in my mouth from anxiety lol]

Her feeling is that we should look at it & get it appraised first... and then discuss what we should do. Ok, I have a FedEx box staring me in the face.... pardon me while I stop typing right now!! More to follow....
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 1:41:05 PM
Author: madlove
thanks for the responses - you guys rock! (pun delightfully intended, of course
19.gif
)

the whole thing with this ring/proposal thang... there''s really not that much surprise involved. she''s expecting a ring/proposal this weekend (possibly tonight), knows the setting style and ct. size, and ALSO knows that I''m considering upgrading the ring [meanwhile, i''m sitting here on pins and needles waiting for FedEx to deliver it - so much for ''Priority Overnight by 10:30 am''! oh wait! here they are...... . . ... .... I think I just threw up in my mouth from anxiety lol]

Her feeling is that we should look at it & get it appraised first... and then discuss what we should do. Ok, I have a FedEx box staring me in the face.... pardon me while I stop typing right now!! More to follow....
30.gif
wooohoooo!!!! you''re gonna have a hard time parting with that LOL But yeah, consider the upgrae policy!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Pics! Pics! Pics!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*tapping pencil on desk*

madlove

Rough_Rock
wow.

i'm just, stunned. here at work, we happen to have one of those magnification lamps (for graphic design)... good lord, this ring is gorgeous. grrr, you're right Cehra - the thought of sending this back for "something better" seems difficult right at the moment... but I think I'll just wait for the results of the appraisal this afternoon. the size, in all honesty, is larger than I imagined it would be. I'm certainly interested to know what the visual size difference would be to move up to a 1.2-1.3 .... but I'll remain open-minded!
28.gif

As for pics, I'll try to snap some this afternoon..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
something better something better!

oh sorry couldn''t help myself. just imagine how great something BIGGER would be that looked just as wonderful.

tee hee.
11.gif

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes there is a BIG visual difference between a 6.3mm and 7mm! Since bluenile has no upgrade policy, I would go with a bigger stone now, esp since it sounds like u definitely can afford it. if she expects a 1 ct and you propose with a 1.3, that would be such a surprise for her! She is a lucky girl!

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
As someone also going through the quest I say if you can afford it... get "something better." By the sounds of it, you''ve picked out the ring solely on your own with little input from your GF. Well, since around late July I''ve been ring shopping *with* my GF. She too started out as saying "all she wants is a 1 ct." That line just reeks of foreshadowing here, huh? lol Well here we are two months later with a couple more store visits under out belt and she''s now saying 1.2-1.3. Mind you, she is not the jewelry nor flashy type. Hell, she doesn''t even plan on using it daily because of her profession. But something about these carbon pieces simply entrances her and women alike. hehe

Bottom line: "Suuuure!! Why not!?"

madlove

Rough_Rock
well, I met with the appraiser. since the stone was already set, she was limited in what she could assess - especially since I mentioned to her halfway through that I was considering upgrading. The $60 was worth it to me to confirm the GIA laser inscription and cert alone, regardless what I decide to do.

so I''m off to give?/show? the ring to my honey... As impressed as I am with this ring (so was the appraiser!), I can just as easily feel good about upgrading at this point. Of course the W2B''s input will be the deciding factor! Why do I have a hunch that she "won''t mind" adding another .3-.4 carats to this baby....?
5.gif

thanks again for all your feedback. I look forward to posting some pics of the ring once we make a final decision! Enjoy your weekend all...

ML

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results