shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler set the wrong stone—wants me to return ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad it worked out how it did! That was what I was hoping for.

I wonder if they made the original offer of paying the $1,300 hoping that you wouldn''t fight and when you did they decided their rep was worth at least that much.

gutman925

Rough_Rock
I think the jewlery store handled it the same way I did. It was a business negotiation. So be it. In a busness sense, reputation, reccomendation, and repete business are usually more inmprtant in the long-run.

And yes, I did tell my fiance.. she got a kick out of it, and was wondering why I was "out of it" last night.

makes fora good story.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad it was resolved in the end.

Now, where are the pictures, mister????

Congratulations on your engagement.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay good for you gutman for sticking with what you wanted. i would have taken the $1300 deal if necessary, but it''s good that the store finally stepped up and recognized that they were at fault here for making the mistake and then trying to be all shifty about it. sometimes in business you have to take a hit when it''s your mistake. i do it in my job from time to time and yes it affects my bottom line in $$ but it makes me pay more attention next time. and awesome that your fiance gets to keep her ring!!!! and that you guys got a laugh out of it...because truly something like this should not mar the engagement experience. it''s about way more than some drama about the ring. and i''m sure she''s jazzed you went to bat for her and her ring because she loves it. kudos and congrats. NOW can we get some PICTURES here????

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 2:56:43 PM
Author: Mara
yay good for you gutman for sticking with what you wanted. i would have taken the $1300 deal if necessary, but it''s good that the store finally stepped up and recognized that they were at fault here for making the mistake and then trying to be all shifty about it. sometimes in business you have to take a hit when it''s your mistake. i do it in my job from time to time and yes it affects my bottom line in $$ but it makes me pay more attention next time. and awesome that your fiance gets to keep her ring!!!! and that you guys got a laugh out of it...because truly something like this should not mar the engagement experience. it''s about way more than some drama about the ring. and i''m sure she''s jazzed you went to bat for her and her ring because she loves it. kudos and congrats. NOW can we get some PICTURES here????
I couldn''t have said it better myself! Congrats on getting a suitable resolution
36.gif
Now give us some pictures
30.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Gutman - next time we do a SF Bay area GTG, you and/or your Fiance should come! I am sure we would love to meet this ring in person.

Your fiance would be quite amazed to know how many people pounded the table, one side or another, over how to get the ring dilemma solved.

You did a great job getting everything taken care of - she''s a lucky girl.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 1:30:24 PM
Author: gutman925
A (final?) update

I spoke with the store manager this morning. And the jewelery store has agreed to let my fiance keep her ring with the more-valuable stone at no additional cost. They made this offer, and I am (obviously) very satisfied with it.
You know what I suspect happened here? I think that, contrary to what he told you, the manager did not tell the owner at first. I have a feeling he may have kept this under wraps rather than own up to what had happened on his watch (two-fold: the wrong diamond being set, and his sales associate going directly back to the customer first). The reason being that their initial approach was very short-sighted and not at all consistent with "owner-logic" (protect my store''s reputation) rather than "employee-logic" (CYA). But, finally, he goes to the owner, who probably told him straight out, "Give them the diamond and apologize your butt off."

All''s well that ends well.
9.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad everything worked out for you gutman!! I wish you and your FI many years of happiness and enjoy your ring!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
A (final?) update

I spoke with the store manager this morning. And the jewelery store has agreed to let my fiance keep her ring with the more-valuable stone at no additional cost. They made this offer, and I am (obviously) very satisfied with it.

I know there has been much debate over moral and ethical ideals. To me, this was a business negotiation. While feelings and emotions were defintily involved on my side, I did my best to leave them out when dealing with the store. There was negotiation, offers and counter offers, just like any other negotiation. In the end, they owned up to thier mistake and honored their relationship with the customer.

While i will not discolose the name of the jeweler on this board, I will reccomend them to friends and colleagues, and will likely be a repete customer.
YAY! Awesome. Glad to hear that you and the jeweler reached a mutually agreeable outcome.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/27/2006 5:03:02 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

9.gif
HI:

Indeed! So happy there is no longer anything rotten in the state of Denmark!
1.gif

I am happy for you, Gutman, for this postive outcome, and that your fiance was not upset.
36.gif

P.S. Buy Lotto tickets. LOL. (just kidding of course).
36.gif
Now where are those ring pictures??

cheers--Sharon

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
So happy it worked out well!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thrilled for you, and wonder what the heck the PS community is going to do NOW! I''ve been amused, reading up on all eight hundred pages of this post....

Congratulations on your engagement!

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Attornies like to say that when both parties are unsatisfied, then it was a fair settlement. Obvioulsy in this case, Gutman got everything he wanted and that''s good for him. In the business it''s called a "metziah" (sp).....a bargain.

Like some of the other PS vendors here have said they would do, in the end this jeweler financially "bent over backwards" for his customer, in spite of a bumpy road getting there.

Like when a product is recalled, it''s how the company deals with it whether they end up like Audi did in the eighties and lose their market share or Tylenol and gain the number one position.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 5:03:02 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

A (final?) update

You know what I suspect happened here? I think that, contrary to what he told you, the manager did not tell the owner at first. I have a feeling he may have kept this under wraps rather than own up to what had happened on his watch (two-fold: the wrong diamond being set, and his sales associate going directly back to the customer first). The reason being that their initial approach was very short-sighted and not at all consistent with ''owner-logic'' (protect my store''s reputation) rather than ''employee-logic'' (CYA). But, finally, he goes to the owner, who probably told him straight out, ''Give them the diamond and apologize your butt off.''

9.gif
We are on the same page. The keystone cop episodal made no sense to me from an owner point of view.

Glad it worked out! Congrats to you. Best Wishes to your fiancee!

sandymonet

Rough_Rock
I know that this is a very late reply, but what an awesome story.

nimmerfroh

Rough_Rock
Sorry if I missed the answer to this but did you get the original GIA cert for the new diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results