shape
carat
color
clarity

problem w/ screw-backs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I have been having sensitivity issue with the screw-backs of my new princess cut studs. I am not allergic to the platinum, but the sharp thread seems to hurt my ear holes when I take them on and off (it hurts and turns my ear red). I went into a local store to see if they can reset the diamonds to a simple 14k 4 prong with regular needle back, and they asked for $95 + tax. Is that a reasonable price to solve this problem? Or do you think my ears will eventally get used to this type of back?

THANKS!!!!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had the same problem, only 14k WG. No, I did not get used to them. They just tore up my ears. My jeweler was able to remove the screw posts and attach the other type without remounting. The cost was about $50, 5 years ago.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I can''t wear earrings with screw-on backs. My earrings had screw-on backs when I bought them. I started getting an infection in one ear lobe, so I had them change the posts to a regular friction back after 1 week.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!!! I am also wondering if those of you who CAN wear the screw-on backs had difficulty initially? I am hoping that this is just a "phase". Anyone found a trick to have their ears getting used to these? Thanks!!!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
It could be that you are just sensitive to the largeness of the post needed for a screw back. My ears were kind of painful when I started wearing my studs with lapousette(protector backs) because the posts are really bulky. After a few days they were fine.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got used to mine. They did hurt the first week or so. I do like screw-backs because you know those suckers aren''t going anywhere.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tacori E-ring,
Did your ears bleed a little at first? Mine do. Does that sound bad?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a pair of diamond earrings with screw backs and I liked them because the were so secure, I was never worried about loosing them.

They were so secure, in fact that one day when taking off a turtleneck one got caught in my sweater and yeowwie! Boy did that hurt!!! I couldn't wear any earrings for a few days. I was just lucky I didn't tear my ear piercing!

Only straight post backs for me now. I don't even like the locking hoop earrings, I wear hoops but they snap into the backs and easily snap off if anything gets caught in them.

I can't tell you how many times I have rushed to change in or out of my clothes and caught my earrings on something! I'm just always in too much of a rush to have "unmovable" earrings.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I never had any issues with my screwbacks. They felt a little odd for the first day, but no bleeding or any other irritation. They are 14kt white gold. I only wear studs, so my holes aren''t stretched or anything. If they are that uncomfortable, I''d pay and have them reset and chalk it up to experience. You could put other stones in the settings maybe, and sell them on e-bay.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try this, add a little dab of neosporin on the threads before putting them in your ear. See if that helps... It helped my daughter with hers.
2.gif

Grace

Rough_Rock
I''ve had two sets of studs with screw backs. One was yellow gold and the other 18k white. They only give me trouble if my ears are already irritated. I put a tiny dab of triple antibiotic salve on the post and I find it helps glide the post in place and at the same time helps heal the irritation. I also find that keeping the posts very clean helps. Soak them in alcohol and make sure there is no residue (or crusty stuff) on them before inserting. Good luck!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my everyday studs are screwbacks and I only wear them on special occasions because they bother my ears. I never did get used to them and will be resetting them sometime down the road.

CT026

Rough_Rock
Hi- I have a pair diamond studs with WG screw backs from BBB. The threads didn''t hurt my ears, but 1 of the threads was too loose and the backing would often become very loose. I had BBB fix them at no charge. I tend to think problematic pieces should be fixed free of charge from where you purchased your product.
As far a getting them onto your ears, practice makes perfect or you can always ask your husband for a little help ;-)

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Screw backs don''t bother me either, but I constantly lose friction back ones.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I know what you all are talking about with the screw backs. I have tried them and they hurt my ears.My daughter''s diamonds are the screw backs and they bother her. I think the screw back posts are larger than the regular ones, what do you all think?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2006 6:36:05 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Hi Tacori E-ring,

Did your ears bleed a little at first? Mine do. Does that sound bad?

Oh, no they didn''t but I do remember mild pain for the first week or so. After that I don''t even notice them. I know they are unpopular on here but I like the safety factor. If they bother you for more than a month I would have your studs reset. There is no reason for you to be in constant pain.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I just replied to your other thread on how I handle the daily wear of screw backs!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all! I think I will try the screw-on backs for another week or two before deciding. Honestly I hope not to have to spend more!! :)

susi

Shiny_Rock
Hello, zhuzhu, I have not had posts with threads/screw backs but did have some with the little notches where the backs would slip on by pinching the sides of the backs to open the hole then the back would slip on and fit into one or the other notch ( I could wear the studs looser or tigher this way)

I am describing this to you but NOT necessarily recommending it.....I found it very awkward to use this type of backing and my fingers were constantly slipping off the posts/backs.

Maybe my fingers are too large but, at any rate, they felt awkward
20.gif

However, I did eventually have my studs soldered onto long gold wires which the benchman bent for me and I just string them into my ears. There is a hook at the top, kind of like a shepherd''s hook or a hook on a cane where the wire rests on my ear and the diamond stud is at the end of the wire down below my ear and on the other side or back of my ear is the other end of the wire ( it hangs down too....)

I love this arrangement......don''t have pics right now but can take some if you desire to see??

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wrote a long post and it didn''t show up!

When I first got screw backs it was almost impossible to put them in. I found that pulling my ear lobe down a little stretched the hole enough to get the posts in. Then I wore them every day for about a month or two. No problems since then. The posts are thicker and I think wearing them stretched the holes a little. It is not obvious to anyone. It''s just that I have no problem wearing screwbacks now.

HTH
9.gif

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
I ordered bezel set studs from WhiteFlash and asked for screwbacks. When I''m first getting them in there, my ear lobes just feel a mild discomfort. And once I''m past the screw part and on the smooth part of the post, there''s no problem. Mine posts are just regular white gold marked 585. Mine doesn''t have palladium in the alloy, I hear that''s better for sensitive skin.
It''s awful to hear that the screwbacks are drawing blood! keep us updated on what you decide to do with them.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Good news is that my ears did not bleed today, they may be getting used to the screw-on backs. The bad news is that, at my local jewlery store when I told a sales lady that I may just change the posts (if I need to) instead of resetting to prong-tip smaller baskets, she replied "your curret setting does not do anything for the diamonds. all you see is metal!!" and gave me this "I can't believe you like THAT" look.
7.gif

OK, maybe I am just getting self-conscious now thanks to her comment. Please tell me what you think of this angled view, it is really that much metal that diamonds in the earrings look "bad"? I just want to get unbiased opinions, both good and bad. Sorry I need to post another one of this "in your face" ear shot.... THANKS!!!

DSCN2284.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results