shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s Contagious

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilikeit

Rough_Rock
9.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, you''ll always need one white set and one yellow set to match your outfit, right?

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I guess there are several options. You could wear your original e-ring and band (or just the band) on your left hand, and wear your husband's aunt's rings on your right. Or you could wear his aunt's rings on your left and tell your husband you didn't want the colors of the metal to clash (yellow and white). You could take turns wearing both sets on your left. Or you could tell your husband you prefer to wear his aunt's rings only for now. Or you could wear the yellow gold set when you're with your husband since he's sentimental about the set he gave you originally and not wear his aunt's rings with him. I don't know. I don't know what your relationship with your husband is like and what would hurt him.

I originally had a yellow gold set when we married. I, like you, wished for a bigger stone. So when I got an upgrade, I first wore it on my right hand with my original set on my left. I gradually switched the upgrade to the left hand and wore my original ring on my right hand, then I took it off my right hand altogether. My husband said he was initially hurt, but now realizes I just love diamonds and wants me to me happy. I still love my original ring and will always keep it because it is sentimental to me.

Do what you are comfortable with. I like your ring sets. Your husband's aunt's set is breathtaking. Very pretty.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Were the aunts rings something he inherited? Does he own them? IN other words, are they even his to give?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! My husband loved yellow gold too. We were married in yellow gold even though I prefer platinum. Fast forward 6 years and I was pregnant and my fingers swelled and I injured my hand and my rings had to be cut off! Damaged the setting. When we replaced the wedding ring and diamond setting I spoke up and told him I wanted platinum after the baby was born. When I was engaged, I was so thrilled to be marrying him that I too was afraid to speak up. He preferred yellow and he was paying for the ring (I did buy his wedding ring though). So after I got platinum, I decided I wanted us to match and for our next anniversary after that, I got him a platinum wedding band. I have my mangled cut off yellow gold one and his yellow gold one put away for sentimental reasons. And guess what? He loves his platinum ring! He has been wearing it for almost 6 years now and prefers it to yellow. I have found that men often gravitate towards the metal their mother tends to wear since they are use to seeing it. So my future daughter in laws will probably get platinum LOL.

What country are you from? Is your husband from the US?

And I agree with the other poster who said, you should both agree with what you end up doing or then both rings will be unwearble to you.

Good luck!

ilikeit

Rough_Rock

They are lovely rings, both sets. Don't be jealous of anyone else's "stuff" in the end, its simply not worth it.

Be open, communicate to your husband what you want.. believe me. lol. Its VERY important. Don't HINT, TELL. Sometimes a hint doesn't go very far. I know this one from experience, right everyone? LOL

If he gives you his aunt's rings perhaps he won't feel badly if you wore your original set on your right hand. You need to be happy with what you wear or it will become a rock in the shoe, so to speak..

Good luck. :)

Thanks a lot SanDiegoLady! You're right, communication is really important. I showed my husband his aunt's set on my left finger and he said, "they're nice".
9.gif
He only wondered why he didn't find them long before we met. I told him you could have given them to me instead of getting the rings I have now since he is wearing the wedding band that his favorite uncle gave him. That was another story. He said it wouldn't be bad if his aunt's rings are also passed on to someone. She would be as happy as she didn't have any kids to keep the rings as heirloom.
21.gif

ilikeit

Rough_Rock
well, you''ll always need one white set and one yellow set to match your outfit, right?

You''re definitely right, Julien! That''s another good idea.
9.gif

ilikeit

Rough_Rock

I guess there are several options. You could wear your original e-ring and band (or just the band) on your left hand, and wear your aunt''s rings on your right. Or you could wear your aunt''s rings on your left and tell your husband you didn''t want the colors of the metal to clash (yellow and white). You could take turns wearing both sets on your left. Or you could tell your husband you prefer to wear your aunt''s only for now. Or you could wear the yellow gold set when you''re with your husband since he''s sentimental about the set he gave you originally and not wear your aunt''s rings with him. I don''t know. I don''t know what your relationship with your husband is like and what would hurt him.

I originally had a yellow gold set when we married. I, like you, wished for a bigger stone. So when I got an upgrade, I first wore it on my right hand with my original set on my left. I gradually switched the upgrade to the left hand and wore my original ring on my right hand, then I took it off my right hand altogether. My husband said he was initially hurt, but now realizes I just love diamonds and wants me to me happy. I still love my original ring and will always keep it because it is sentimental to me.

Do what you are comfortable with. I like your ring sets. Your aunt''s set is breathtaking. Very pretty.

Thanks lizz! Your story is an enlightenment. Perhaps, this craze I''m going through is passing.
9.gif
My original rings are sentimental to me too.

ilikeit

Rough_Rock

Were the aunts rings something he inherited? Does he own them? IN other words, are they even his to give?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! My husband loved yellow gold too. We were married in yellow gold even though I prefer platinum. Fast forward 6 years and I was pregnant and my fingers swelled and I injured my hand and my rings had to be cut off! Damaged the setting. When we replaced the wedding ring and diamond setting I spoke up and told him I wanted platinum after the baby was born. When I was engaged, I was so thrilled to be marrying him that I too was afraid to speak up. He preferred yellow and he was paying for the ring (I did buy his wedding ring though). So after I got platinum, I decided I wanted us to match and for our next anniversary after that, I got him a platinum wedding band. I have my mangled cut off yellow gold one and his yellow gold one put away for sentimental reasons. And guess what? He loves his platinum ring! He has been wearing it for almost 6 years now and prefers it to yellow. I have found that men often gravitate towards the metal their mother tends to wear since they are use to seeing it. So my future daughter in laws will probably get platinum LOL.

What country are you from? Is your husband from the US?

And I agree with the other poster who said, you should both agree with what you end up doing or then both rings will be unwearble to you.

Good luck!

Hi asscherisme, thanks for the welcome.
1.gif

I can''t say whether the rings were inherited or not. I only know that the boxes where we found them were all supposed to be junk from my husband''s parents'' house. My husband and I have a huge age gap and I know the original owners of these jewelries we found were long gone. While we were putting away stuff out of the storage for future relocation, my husband requested me to throw away the ones we don''t need and keep the valuables. I thought I was only scavenging while cleaning out those boxes of costume jewelries until we found something we could really keep. I will post the photos of other few rings we found later.

I am originally from the Philippines and my husband is from the US. I know platinum is attractive aside from the fact that it''s more expensive and elegant. Diamonds and platinum go together very well. I didn''t really have metal preference until I knew that most women has platinum or white gold sets when I arrived in the states. In my country, engagement ring is not a must-have nor part of the tradition in general and yellow gold seems more attractive for a wedding band. Unless one belongs to a higher class society, then, preference must be Westernized the fact that we get influenced by what we see in the movies.
9.gif

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
I actually like both of your ring sets. I''d mix it up a bit and wear both as you see fit. Your original set is unique. I believe you can get the yellow gold rhodium plated so that it looks white. It would just be something you''d have to do on a regular basis. No expert on this however. Seems like it would be nice to have one plat or white gold set and one yellow gold set - I definately like both colors. I even like them together.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think both sets are lovely and there''s nothing wrong with having both
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2006 3:34:26 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I think both sets are lovely and there''s nothing wrong with having both
2.gif
Ditto.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both gorgeous sets, you are very lucky to have both! I agree, wear one on your left and the other on your right, why not?!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the idea of keeping all your options open. I too have a YG wedding set, and am getting a white metal ''anniversary'' ring. I like the idea that you can sometimes wear one color, sometimes the other, or even have one set on one hand and another ring on the other. Lots of options. I like the variety; that way you still keep the sentimental set, and have another that is a nice alternative. They are all beautiful rings. What a lucky find!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am another one who has a yellow gold set and am getting a second platinum set. As Julie said, just wear whichever set matches your outfit the best!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Is the aunts set defintaly a dimaond. Is there a chance that it could be a very good fake? Its still very pretty. But if you are going to wear it, I would recommend it getting appraised and maybe insured if its worth something.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
How nice it is to be trusted with something valuable from the family you just married into! If he makes moves towards selling it, I would tell him how wonderful it would be if your future son or daughter could inherit it. In my area, it is common for women to wear the set they were married with on their left hand, and any rings inherited from family on the right. Granted, none of the rings around here are huge (mostly under a half carat) but it is a point of pride to be able to keep something more than one generation.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both sets are very pretty but different from each other.

Please have the old jewelry checked by a jeweler so any prong adjustments can be made for safety. Also an appraisal and insurance would be a good idea.

If you are moving you may move to an area where women wear smaller diamonds. Just a thought. Different parts of the US are different.

Enjoy the new/old jewelry
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results