shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut Halo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RED

Rough_Rock
Hey all,
I am new here to PS, although have been reading for months. Here''s the story.. my bf and I have been looking at rings and I fell in love with a few. I tried on a Michael B. in Michael C. Fina and it was amazing but very pricey. Also, FATGUY''s ring that he gave to his now fiancee is what made me swoon. So, after showing my bf, he sent the photos to a family member who lives out of state. I don''t know this family member although my mom does and he (the family member) told her that he could do it with no problem (he is a wholesaler). I had my bf send this guy the photos of fatguy''s ring and the measurements he included on PS but is there more? is there a way to approve it before paying for it? what about shipping cost? He is from Arizona, I am in NY. i just feel clueless to the process and to have it shipped from a different state is so overwhelming and yet comforting b/c i know he wouldn''t try to pull the wool over our eyes.

anyway- any advice would be so helpful. and here is a reminder of what fatguy''s amazing ring looked like (from Mark Turnowsky).

Measurements - 7.40 x 6.56 x 4.47 mm (L/W Ratio: 1.13)
Weight - 1.52 carat
Depth - 68.1%
Table - 61%
Culet - None
Polish - Good
Symmety - Good
Clarity - VS2
Color Grade - G
Fluorescence - None

want this.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, RED....

Do I understand that you're thinking of having this family member source a stone for you, and have you pay for it without seeing it first???

If so...please don't!

Have your connection find a couple of suitable stones, get AS MUCH information on them as possible (stones with GIA reports highly recommended), and pictures if at all possible. Then you can run them by people here, and compare the prices to those in the data base above.

Cushions can be tricky, and even having "the numbers" doesn't tell the whole story. I WOULD NOT consider buying a stone without a RETURN POLICY. I'd want to see it before I committed.

I've read that buying a stone from a family member/friend sometimes leads to trouble and misunderstandings. With such an important purchase, I personally would feel more comfortable dealing with a trustworthy professional with a good track record. Be careful.

JMO
widget

RED

Rough_Rock
good advice..
a few questions though-
GIA report? what is this? and about seing it first.. do people have stones or rings shipped to them to have appraised and to make sure it is perfect before paying a down payment? and what about if it isn''t right? can it be sent back to be fixed??

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2006 11:42:19 AM
Author: RED
good advice..

a few questions though-

GIA report? what is this? and about seing it first.. do people have stones or rings shipped to them to have appraised and to make sure it is perfect before paying a down payment? and what about if it isn''t right? can it be sent back to be fixed??

your stone should come with a lab report that has graded it. GIA and AGS are the most prefered. Some people have stones shipped to them or to and independant appraiser in their area to look at, others might have a relationship with their vendor to be able to trust their eyes. vendors like Goodoldgold and Wf do such a great job of providing info on their websites that many feel comfortable buying sight unseen (rounds are much easier to do this). different vendors have different policy''s as to what they will and won''t fix. if it''s a defect they normally will fix it, if you go custom and deside you don''t like it, normally that won''t qualify. since you started 2 threads i''ll post my reply to your other thread here as well.

hi Red.

honestly, you might want to have mark t. price that ring out for you. PS vendors are very competitive and many times their prices are as good and someone''s family friends "wholesale" connection. You have the advantage of being in NY where Mark T is located and could be involved with the process, and I find if you love a ring exactly how it''s made, it''s just best to have the original designer/maker make it. good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results