shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your opinion!: regular vs. knife-edge wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

mrssalvo, That is a good idea! But, I do have to decide what platinum mix I want him to use for my e-ring. So, should I just go with 95% Platinum/5% Ruthinum so that it will match most of the wedding bands out there, including Tiffany?

...or should I go with 90% Platinum/10% Iridium knowing that it may be different mix from wedding band?

P.S. by the way, I love your dog''s pic!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 10:29:42 AM
Author: oceanbeach

mrssalvo, That is a good idea! But, I do have to decide what platinum mix I want him to use for my e-ring. So, should I just go with 95% Platinum/5% Ruthinum so that it will match most of the wedding bands out there, including Tiffany?

...or should I go with 90% Platinum/10% Iridium knowing that it may be different mix from wedding band?

P.S. by the way, I love your dog''s pic!

hmmm, good question. well, i know some of the Mark Morrell gals have matched 95/5 mix rings with their MM 90/10 mix e-rings but i''m not sure what the noticible difference would be and I''d probably want them to be the same. If it were me, I''d probably just go with the 95/5 so you can find a band easily and just take them to be polished once a year.

I love your doggie''s pic too
30.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

oh, really? That''s good to know. It may not be so much of problem then to mix. I heard that looks wise (color etc), there is no difference...

doggie: Thanks!!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''m partial to a classic rounded band that doesn''t take away from the engagement ring''s bling, but can sit on its own...in fact, I want that band ring you''re showing here, can you share the mm of the first band? I want my wedding band to look rounded and thick as a "stand alone", since I don''t plan to take it off much (fiance'' makes me take off the e-ring at bedtime, i hate that!)

So, though I''m crazy for the diamonds, and want some kind of diamond band on the other side of my wedding band someday, I really am on the lookout for non-stock pics of plain wedding bands. Thick ones, and wider than 2.5 mm. I think I want a 4 or 5mm, but can''t find any in town to try on in comfort fit! And pics at online stores don''t show real people wearing bands. Need help in seeing how different bands look....

I love the first pic of yours -- I don''t think it takes away from the e-ring....I''m partial to non-matching rings, though. my feeling is the wedding band should be obviously separate from the engagement ring, since it''s the one presented with vows. As much as I love my diamond, I really think my wedding band will mean the most, that''s why this search is so hard! 5 months to go!

n-jo

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
N-jo - the ring in the first picture is a 2.75mm wide heavy comfort fit platinum band from e-weddingbands.com . They usually make this band in widths of 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, etc. I had to request the 2.75mm and they custom made it for me in like 1-2 weeks. It''s a very heavy band and definitely rounded all the way around (not half-dome). I wear it alone quite a lot and think it looks great! Substantial but not too thick.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you! I appreciate the info. I see bands occasionally that I love and no way to figure out what the width and thickness are. Great info, gonna mark that down! I wasn''t sure the heavy one was for me, was going with a medium weight one. Definitely changing my choice!
I wanted thick, but not so thick it made my fingers splay out, this looks great.

it''s gonna go with this (wish I''d gotten a more rounded comfort-fit band for this, but didn''t like the way it tapered down towards the diamond)

n-jo

njring.jpg

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
That''s a beautiful ring! Good luck!!
26.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all who suggested the tiffany knife-edge! I went to Tiffany today and tried the three stone e-ring (pears on the sides) and band together, and it looked great!
30.gif
I don''t mind the gap at all. I don''t know why I didn''t like them together before I tried...
33.gif
The knife-edge really goes well with the e-ring. I think that''s it for me. I''m thinking of asking my jeweler to custom make the e-ring and wedding band as a set. Can''t wait!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! It''s going to be a beautiful set! Be very specific with your jeweler that you want a Tiffany knife-edge band replica....it sounds like a simple request but I''ve found that NO ONE does the knife-edge band quite like Tiffany, so, tread carefully. :) Actually, if it were me, I''d just buy the Tiffany band (only a tad pricey but so worth it) and then give it to your jeweler to hang onto while he makes the e-ring. That way he''ll have a reference point as he creates the e-ring.

I think the gap is part of the charm of a wedding set. I doubt I''ll ever have a matchy set because I love having that gap!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

KristyDarling,

That''s an idea... I thought of just asking my jeweler to do both because he is using different platinum mix than what tiffany uses (90/10 Iridium). I wanted both to be the same mix. Also, he is making Tiffany replica for my e-ring as well. The price will be the same with him because the band is going to be custom which makes it more expensive. oh well, I think I will give him a try b/c he said if I don''t like what he made, I don''t have to buy it. haha...

19.gif

My center is 1ct, and the one I tried on today was 1.13ct. But, it looked so small to me! When I tried it on last time at Tiffany, it was 1ct one, but I fell in love with it because it looked gorgeous, but today somehow even the 1.13ct one looked small and not so pretty... I''m now a bit worried that mine won''t be so pretty-
8.gif
I think I looked at your beautiful ring too much!!
41.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2006 6:05:16 PM

My center is 1ct, and the one I tried on today was 1.13ct. But, it looked so small to me! When I tried it on last time at Tiffany, it was 1ct one, but I fell in love with it because it looked gorgeous, but today somehow even the 1.13ct one looked small and not so pretty... I''m now a bit worried that mine won''t be so pretty-
8.gif
I think I looked at your beautiful ring too much!!
41.gif

Oceanbeach, don''t worry, your ring will be beautiful. I think kaleigh had a 1 carat version of the ring she''s has now and loved it for many years. I understand though how PS can sometimes distort what is reality and we keep thinking we need bigger. I''ve done the same thing with my upgrade. then I had to really think about my lifestyle and social circle and my stone really is big enough for now
27.gif
KD''s ring is gorgeous and something you can upgrade to if you want, but a 1 carat is a nice size. once you get your ring on i think you''ll fall in love with it..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2006 5:31:29 PM
Thanks to all who suggested the tiffany knife-edge! I went to Tiffany today and tried the three stone e-ring (pears on the sides) and band together, and it looked great!
30.gif
I don''t mind the gap at all. I don''t know why I didn''t like them together before I tried...
33.gif
The knife-edge really goes well with the e-ring. I think that''s it for me. I''m thinking of asking my jeweler to custom make the e-ring and wedding band as a set. Can''t wait!!
36.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsS is so right. Pricescope really skews your perception and can be a dangerous place to be. There''s a constant parade of beautiful diamonds here, big and small.
18.gif
My friend recently got engaged with a gorgeous 1.0 carat solitaire and I was drooling over it for an hour straight. She let me wear it and I had a hard time giving it back. My point is, diamonds are gorgeous at any size and the grass will always be greener on the other side.
1.gif
Yours is sure to be breathtaking!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
mrssalvo/KristyDarling, Thank you so much for the kind words... I totally agree-
I know 1ct is pretty good size, and I feel fortunate that he was able to get that for me. Just today, the ring really didnft strike me like it did the first time I saw, I started to worry about it a bit. But, like you said, Ifm sure I will love my ring once I get it.
26.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like the knife-edge the best... it''s the perfect accent to the ring!!
2.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go with Tiffany''s knife-edge wedding band, and my husband bought it for me yesterday. It is very dainty and beautiful!! I love the knife edge a lot!
30.gif
Anyway, here are the pics!

P.S. I''m still waiting for my e-ring...
8.gif
My jeweler is having hard time finding a nice pair of pears.

tiff wedding 2.JPG

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Here is a hand pic...

tiff wed1test.JPG

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Anther hand pic....

tiff wedding 3.JPG

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
It''s so dainty! Is it comfortable to wear? Love it!!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 11:56:07 AM
Author: february2003bride
It''s so dainty! Is it comfortable to wear? Love it!!
We are going to exchange our bands after receiving his band, so I haven''t been wearing it for a full day yet. So, I can''t say this for sure, but when I have it on, it is really comfortable. The edge doesn''t bother me at all. I know...doesn''t it look like I could cut my finger? haha... I joke around with my husband; he''d better be good because i have weapon on my finger!
41.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful band, can''t beat a tiffany.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results