shape
carat
color
clarity

My almost perfect E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's definitely too high for my taste, I'd be knocking that thing all over the place. I have seen prong set bezel's set lower than that with no sparkle issues. Sounds like the jeweler just didn't want to have to fix it. Tough call though because if you approved a wax then that's essentially like saying yes I like the way it looks, please go into production and incur costs. I go through this sometimes with my own clients, we do proofs and they approve them. Sometimes they miss things they wanted done differently. It's unfortunate but it happens sometimes. It's great he offered to remake it (and assumedly not charge you) to be how you wanted if that is what you end up doing. Anyhow, you may be able to live with it but it's your call as to if that is what you want to do. FWIW, the ring itself is stunning. Good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Way too high -- stop trying to convice yourself it is okay when in your heart of hearts I can tell (without even knowing you) that you hate it. Everything else about it is beautiful, so that is very encouraging. I know this is horribly frustrating -- I''ve been there in custom setting hell so I sympathize with you. Hang in there a few more weeks and let him re-do it again because it is just totally impractical this high.
In the big picture, which I know is not easy to see right now, this is a very small chapter and will be far outweighed by your life ahead.
Good luck.

Ice Snoop

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with everyone, it looks extremely high to me - there is a whole lot of space below the halo with no diamond! Isn''t that where the diamond should be sitting so that the halo sits around the girdle. But it''s a stunning diamond!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think it''s too high...looks awkward to me...especially the prongs. Hang in there and I hope that you get the exact ring you want!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I also agree that it is set too high...you should fel that your ring is perfect, and if you don''t, they should fix it. The ring is beautiful though, and having it set lower would make it even more stunning!! Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you, and you come back with pics of your "perfect E-Ring"!!!
2.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Too high. I have a cushion halo, and it being set down in the setting does not make it sparkle less!!!!! That is an untruth.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
the ring is beautiful, but for me, it''s set too high. I would have him remake the ring. it looks like the halo might be too small for the diamond. my stone is bezel set and it still sparkles, so I don''t think that setting it lower will affect how the stone sparkles.

lyn

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 12:50:55 AM
Author:Bambina

After almost bursting into tears (I''ve been waiting 3 month!). He told me to take it home and see if it would grow on me, if not, I could bring it back in and he would make a new setting (again). The only reason I agreed to this arrangement was because I loved (love) everything else about it and he said the diamond will not sparkle as much if he set it in more? Could this be true? I need your advice. Too high vs. loose sparkle...thoughts? I hope you enjoy my almost perfect ering pictures.

Specs: Cushion, 1.71, H, VS1
No! The light comes in thru the top and reflects from the inside of the stone...the sparkle comes from a well cut stone. It has nothing to do with how the stone is set. Experts, please chime in on this one...I''m a novice here, but I don''t think setting the stone lower takes away from the sparkle. I went the custom route, and it can be frustrating. Hang in there...you''ll get the ring you love!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think it's too high too. But I suspect I'm reaffrrming something you already know. The ring is beautiful, but it just kind of sticks up too much. I think you would smack that thing all the time. I'd be a nervous wreck wearing it. The sticky wicket here is that you OK'd the wax. I don't know what that means in terms of the finished product and since it doesn't meet your expectations, do you have to keep it? The workmanship seems really good (other than the high setting), so I'm hopeful that he can fix it. As someone who has had custom made (and many sleepless nights because of it) I feel and empathize with you. Keep us posted.

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 1:22:10 PM
Author: Mara
It''s definitely too high for my taste, I''d be knocking that thing all over the place. I have seen prong set bezel''s set lower than that with no sparkle issues. Sounds like the jeweler just didn''t want to have to fix it. Tough call though because if you approved a wax then that''s essentially like saying yes I like the way it looks, please go into production and incur costs. I go through this sometimes with my own clients, we do proofs and they approve them. Sometimes they miss things they wanted done differently. It''s unfortunate but it happens sometimes. It''s great he offered to remake it (and assumedly not charge you) to be how you wanted if that is what you end up doing. Anyhow, you may be able to live with it but it''s your call as to if that is what you want to do. FWIW, the ring itself is stunning. Good luck!
Though my FI didn''t look at the first wax, the first ring looked nothing like this one and even the jeweler admitted it. It was clunky and gaudy so I don''t feel bad about that redo. From the beginning, I don''t feel I could have been any clearer about what I wanted. It''s basically the Harry Winston pave setting with some modifications so I had lots of pictures to show him--including several side views where it is clear that the halo meets the girdle of the diamond not any higher.

It''s close to what I wanted and I can''t come up with any other phrase, "but almost perfect." From the top I can pretend it''s just right. Pretend of course is the key word. After giving myself a day to clear my head, I''m thinking that some how the dimensions of the ring were over looked. I''m not sure how that could happen in this kind of work, but it did-- I don''t think that''s a design issue (which could be blamed on me), but a construction issue that should be his responsibility.

That said, I''ve decided to bring the ring back sometime this week. I''ll call him tomorrow and arrange a time to meet. He IS going to fix it a no charge--he''s always said that even in the mist of trying to convince me that the high setting was better. If it weren''t for my careful instructions and pictures, I don''t hink I would have the right to ask this, but he knows it''s not what the ring I asked for. I''ve put a lot of thougt into this, part of me feels bad for the cost he must be incurring, another part wants to get my money and run, but we''re too far into it to stop now. I''m probably just rationalizing all this so I''ll feel better about it, but I feel like he never should have taken this on if he couldn''t get the job done. My only consolation is that at the end of the day I do like the workmanship and pleased with the over all look. I hope the third time''s a charm.

I still reserve the right to shoot myself if it doesn''t come out right this next time.
19.gif
Thanks for all your encouragement and validation.

Bambina

gladstone

Rough_Rock
Most customers look at the wax and approve the "look". The jeweller is responsible for the "technical" specifications. Most customers know they like certain setting in this case a halo; but they have no idea how a stone should be set in that particular setting. I am sorry but I will have to say that it''s not done right.

A few posters said they like the way it set high. That''s ok with prong settings. You can set it high you can set it low. But with halo, there is only one way.

Bring it back to him and ask him to do again. You will live with this ring for a long long time. You have to love it.

Most people will look at your ring and say "It''s nice, BUT......"

Good luck.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
You ring is beautiful but I think it is too high too. I have a halo and my stone is lowered into the hole right before the girdle. I think having the girdle and up sticking out works well (for me).

Good luck and I hope you get exactly what you want and makes you happy

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
why not give him the option of redoing the ring or giving you a refund. that way if he doesn''t want to incur anymore costs he has an out as well.

Carey

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring... way too high. Bring it back with PICTURES of the look you want (you''ll probably find a bunch right here at PS). Be upbeat, this is a problem you & your jeweler both want to solve, so you''ll be happy and give lots of good referals! Good luck - get what you want!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2006 8:38:00 AM
Author: Carey
Bring it back with PICTURES of the look you want (you''ll probably find a bunch right here at PS).
Problem is ... this guy ALREADY HAS a ton of pictures of EXACTLY how she wants it and GOOFED UP TWICE. I agree with Mrssalvo ... give him the option of "refund" ... it''s possible this is just BEYOND HIS SKILL LEVEL.

It troubles me that ANY professional craftsman would think that design/execution is wearable/acceptable/attractive! Maybe one who hasn''t read a magazine or looked in a designer showroom FOR A LONG WHILE?? One that doesn''t wear "high" rings themselves to know how difficult they are to deal with in the long run!

Maybe he''s a good "craftsman" (in terms of the actual pave being nice to your eye) but a bad "designer" ... in that he doesn''t have a good eye for composition or COPYING existing pieces even.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 7:49:13 AM
Author: ladykemma
the diamond is sitting beautifully. the setting itself is rather high, but I like it.

you wanted the girdle to be down in the setting?
That''s more what my first reaction was...that the setting was quite high, not the stone in the setting. Yes, the stone could be lower, but so could the setting, actually...and that''s what I''d have them fix first if it were my ring. It is gorgeous though!!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My ring is a custom job, and I had to redo the wax twice. The actual ring turned out better than I expected, with just a few minor things different from the photos I brought in, but no problems other than losing the same pave stone twice.

My jeweler is so sweet, that he told me he would ''do anything to make it right'' as we were going through the process, so yes, while a custom job is a "you buy it you keep it" proposition, a reputable craftsman, in my experience will re-work a setting to get it right.

I know that if I approved it, purchased it, and later on decided I wanted to return it because I didn''t like it, that wouldn''t fly...it''s clearly stated in his return policy.

Mmm y''all reminded me I''m due for a polish & rhodium dip.

Good Luck! Your ring design is gorgeous & hang in there till he gets it right.

jeannine

Bambina

Rough_Rock
I turned the ring back in this morning. I had knots in my stomach and worried he was going to be sour with me...over the phone earlier in the week, he did not sound pleased that I hadn''t love it once I had it home.

Luckily in person he was very sweet and gracious. I gave him a full page (w/ more picuture) of what I liked and then what I wanted changed (using close ups of my current ring) and then complimented him on his workmanship. Basically your compliment, critique, compliment sandwich. I''m not sure is if was my psychology or just his good nature, he didn''t give me any sweat about making me new ring, wheew. He said he''d make it his priority and have it to me a week from Saturday.

I''ll keep you posted.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did the right thing. It obviously bothered you (I agree it is way too high) so I think the final ring will be worth the extra wait!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Good for you, Bambina. I have a prong set halo as well. The girgle just barely peeps out of the halo. Yours was so high that it made the prongs look awkward. I am so glad that he''s re-doing it without any hassle. I can''t wait to see the finished project.

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you took the right approach with your jeweler. It''s wonderful he''s willing to make it right for you. I can''t wait to see the results. Since he went to so much effort, I would really praise him when he gets it right.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2006 3:20:43 AM
Author: Bambina
Though my FI didn''t look at the first wax, the first ring looked nothing like this one and even the jeweler admitted it. It was clunky and gaudy so I don''t feel bad about that redo. From the beginning, I don''t feel I could have been any clearer about what I wanted. It''s basically the Harry Winston pave setting with some modifications so I had lots of pictures to show him--including several side views where it is clear that the halo meets the girdle of the diamond not any higher.

It''s close to what I wanted and I can''t come up with any other phrase, ''but almost perfect.'' From the top I can pretend it''s just right. Pretend of course is the key word. After giving myself a day to clear my head, I''m thinking that some how the dimensions of the ring were over looked. I''m not sure how that could happen in this kind of work, but it did-- I don''t think that''s a design issue (which could be blamed on me), but a construction issue that should be his responsibility.

That said, I''ve decided to bring the ring back sometime this week. I''ll call him tomorrow and arrange a time to meet. He IS going to fix it a no charge--he''s always said that even in the mist of trying to convince me that the high setting was better. If it weren''t for my careful instructions and pictures, I don''t hink I would have the right to ask this, but he knows it''s not what the ring I asked for. I''ve put a lot of thougt into this, part of me feels bad for the cost he must be incurring, another part wants to get my money and run, but we''re too far into it to stop now. I''m probably just rationalizing all this so I''ll feel better about it, but I feel like he never should have taken this on if he couldn''t get the job done. My only consolation is that at the end of the day I do like the workmanship and pleased with the over all look. I hope the third time''s a charm.

I still reserve the right to shoot myself if it doesn''t come out right this next time.
19.gif

Bambina
DON''T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2006 3:20:43 AM
Author: Bambina
19.gif

Bambina
Yourself?
11.gif
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results