shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond -check, Setting -check, Next Steps?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone on PriceScope!! I picked the diamond that I am buying tomorrow and finally decided on the setting.
Now..... what are my next steps?

I am going to get the stone shipped to me first, so I can take a look at it.
Then I should take it to an independent appraiser.
After which I myself should ship the stone to where my setting is?
And after its ready, take it to the same appraiser again?

Any advice, ideas, things to watch out for that you all know after years of reading fabulous information on this site?

This will be my first diamond, first custom setting.... so this is a road unknown to me. :)

Thanks again!!!
21.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2006 11:06:34 PM
Author:angel777
Thanks to everyone on PriceScope!! I picked the diamond that I am buying tomorrow and finally decided on the setting.
Now..... what are my next steps?

I am going to get the stone shipped to me first, so I can take a look at it.
Then I should take it to an independent appraiser.
yes, good!
After which I myself should ship the stone to where my setting is?
be sure they have insurance for your diamond while it is in their possession and being set. Also, make sure you get a copy of the work order stating in writing the details on the diamond certification, and also the details of the ring (metal, finger size, design, future promises of free rhodium plating, polishing, or any other service agreements). Make sure your stone is insured when you ship it. USPS registered and insured mail is a cheap way to insure your rock when it's in transit...it does take a while though, but it's the best way.
And after its ready, take it to the same appraiser again?
yes, make sure that the diamond is set properly, it is in fact the same diamond with no structural damage, check the quality of the setting.
Afterwards, INSURE YOUR RING!!! Jewelers Mutual and Chubb are both good.

Any advice, ideas, things to watch out for that you all know after years of reading fabulous information on this site?

This will be my first diamond, first custom setting.... so this is a road unknown to me. :)
read some of the threads about custom design, what to expect, etc. Be sure to get in writing the specific design details and keep copies of the photos or whatever you show them to make the ring so that if it doesn't turn out...you can prove it.

Thanks again!!!
21.gif
Can anyone think of other things? Hope this helps.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Oh mmm. I guess I misused the term custom setting.
I plan on getting a setting that is customely made to fit a diamond. But the setting itself is pretty standard, so no designs or pictures to worry about. :)

Everything else sounds easy as pie! Thank you for your response kcoursolle! :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
great, you''ll have your ring sooner then! Can''t wait to see pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results