shape
carat
color
clarity

Hangbag Helpers, Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m toying with the idea of one of these two handbags. It would be a splurge for me, and needs to be versatile...right now I switch back and forth between between a black coach purse (no matter what color of shoes or outfit I''m wearing!) or a timbuk2 messenger bag full of diapers and sippy cups!

I''d love to hear some opinions.

I like this Gustto Baca in vintage brown. It is the softest leather I have ever touched and I like its slouchy casual nature. I''m a slouchy casual kind of gal. But, it is very unstructured and I have a feeling I''d be digging in the bottom of a pile of stuff to find my keys. But I looooove the leather so much...

bacabr.jpg

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Ooops...just noticed that "hangbag" typo...

This Botkier bag in Toffee color. It is also super soft, but not as squishy soft as the gustto. It''s more like a "lovely pair of kid gloves" soft. I like that it is more structured in some ways, but what do you think?

botki.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first one!!

it's a preference thing but i really don't like the second one, it looks all squished and scrunched on the pockets on the front. maybe even a little cheap?? just visually..i have no idea how much it is.

i really want a soft slouchy handbag for fall too. greg might just murder me if i get another expensive bag this year though. boo.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
one.

ditto to what mara said. the second one just looks old and not as fresh and young as the first one.
curious to know how the first one hangs on someone in real life.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me three! ONE - for sure.

Especially if #2 couldn''t be slung over your shoulder in a pinch. Do they both have brass hardware? Can''t quite tell from #1''s picture.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! You are echoing my gut reaction. I have held/fondled/tried on/tried out both in real life and they are closer to each other than the pics portray. As in, the Botkier is much less "granny" looking, but I agree with you. The gustto fits very nicely as an over the shoulder bag or held. I think I can attach a diff pic of it.

The gustto is insane. I told DH that I wanted to have sex with it right there in Nordie''s.
2.gif

Hmm. Maybe I''m making up my mind...

But Ack! The price! I haven''t bought a handbag since 2002. And a $300 from coach that seemed so outrageous to me. But I guess if you divide it out per year......
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

gustto2.jpg

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
and another

gustto3.jpg

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
A friend has the gustto and we both agree that we would never think that we''d love a purse with big old gold thingies all over, but somehow, it works...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
love it! love that it still has shape once worn.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the first bag! I love the shape and slouch of it. The second bag is OK...but not a huge fan of those two outer pockets.

I know what you mean about never before thinking that you''d like this kind of bag! I *never* thought I''d carry a slouchy bag with rivets and tassels (my B-bags), nor a metallic granny style bag (my Muse), but here I am! Once you try one on and fondle the leather, you''re a goner!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first bag, for sure!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh those additional pictures really make me go THE FIRST ONE for sure!!!! i'm afraid to ask ,but how much is it?

i really like it. would you mind if i became a shameless purse follower? of course that's only if i could manage to get it and not be quickly dispatched by my loving husband to the dark purse-hereafter.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
DECISION MADE!
31.gif
Now let''s just figure out how to get this puppy as cheap as possible! Online? Coupon codes? Shoplifting?
3.gif
Just kidding ...

ps-- Waller, thanks for your comments on my thread. I did write back (a ton) It''s so funny too -- I woke up this a.m. pondering random questions like if I ever had to change my set entirely, would I go "Wallermama" or "Pokey" ... you were in the lead when I had to seek coffee!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 2:30:42 PM
Author: wallermama
Thanks guys! You are echoing my gut reaction. I have held/fondled/tried on/tried out both in real life and they are closer to each other than the pics portray. As in, the Botkier is much less ''granny'' looking, but I agree with you. The gustto fits very nicely as an over the shoulder bag or held. I think I can attach a diff pic of it.

The gustto is insane. I told DH that I wanted to have sex with it right there in Nordie''s.
2.gif

Hmm. Maybe I''m making up my mind...

But Ack! The price! I haven''t bought a handbag since 2002. And a $300 from coach that seemed so outrageous to me. But I guess if you divide it out per year......
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
now that got me to laugh out loud! and what did hubby say?!

love the first one, btw!

movie zombie

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Steal? I don''t think I could ever feel like a $486 handbag is a steal. But a $695 handbag is an impossibility, so I''m happy about that!

Sigh.

So yes, I ordered it.

But ONLY by telling myself that there is a 2 week return, and I can now really see it and still bid on the ebay one, maybe. And I also have the option of freaking out and returning it, just because.....heck, it''s a lot of money to me....

THANK YOU GUYS! I knew you would help enable me to be horrible.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
And deco, thanks for your words about my words. I meant everything I said and think you have found yourself a perfect match. In both ways
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo hoo my duty is done for the day!!!!

i love living vicariously through others expensive handbags! hehee.

can''t wait to see it in sept!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So the Gustto Baca bag came! It is so soft I can''t believe it. But I''m not quite entirely sold. It is a bit more floppy and unstructured than I want, and while i love it, I need to LOOOOOVE it to justify it right now.

But the kicker came this morning, when my DH was leaving for work. I said, look at the purse in the hall and tell me what you think! He leaned back in and said...

"You''re kidding, right? That bag looks like Haggis."

Haggis!

For those of you who don''t know, this scottish pig-part sausage boiled in the stomach of a sheep is haggis...

So while I like the bag a whole lot, my hesitation + my husband''s hatred = a purse that will be mailed back today.

Just wanted to update you guys!

haggis.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WAH!

I was just going to ask you how the bag was!!!! I''m sorry to hear you don''t love it and it''s going back (esp cuz now *I* won''t get to see it on Sept 16...it''s ALL ABOUT ME!!!)....BOO! But maybe we can find you a new bag to spend on...tee hee....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately, i know what haggis is.....and almost spewed my tea all over my monitor when i read what he said!

oh, i''m so very sorry, wallermama! since you only love it and don''t LOVE it and your hubby thinks it looks like haggis.......i think the decision has been made.

i have no doubt there will be another handbag that will inspire you to want to have sex with it right there in nordies and that your husband won''t think looks like haggis!

for that kind of $$$ i''d want something that wouldn''t be defined as haggis.....however, maybe its a female thing and we women should just ignore those kinds of comments?!

movie zombie

ps i''m just not sure why but this thread has made me giggle more than any other recently.......
face6.gif
i think perhaps its your writing style makes the ordinary seem more fun!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2006 1:46:54 PM
Author: movie zombie
unfortunately, i know what haggis is.....and almost spewed my tea all over my monitor when i read what he said!
HI:

Ditto, but I had no tea......LOL......that haggis pic
6.gif
just about did me in......sorry about the bag tho.

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wellllll ... i got a new one for ya. There's this awesome deep purple/eggplantish color one I think you would love love love love ....I have to find a pix. It was in Sept. Lucky mag as one of the editor's "must have's" from an up & coming new handbag designer. When I saw it I was like - WALLERMAMA, but you already had your other bag ... but NOW!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2006 5:23:30 PM
Author: decodelighted
There''s this awesome deep purple/eggplantish color one I think you would love love love love ....I have to find a pix. It was in Sept. Lucky mag as one of the editor''s ''must have''s'' from an up & coming new handbag designer. When I saw it I was like - WALLERMAMA, but you already had your other bag ... but NOW!!!!

Good news - bad news. Good news, I found a pix. Bad news, I have no idea where you''d even buy it if you wanted it. The company''s (Katrin-Leiber) french website seems to be a) in French and b) under construction. Sigh.

katrinleiberbag.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yah deco, not really loving the dark purple accordion bag...funky!!!

now that botkier though i could wear!!! there was a spread in the NYT this weekend on awesome new bags and i had drool all over it. greg was like ''i can''t read the paper now because of this big drool spot.'' suck it up buddy!!!!! purse love.
30.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I love a good thread about bags, I just have to jump in again! The following bags have nice, soft leather, which I know turns you on, hehe.

Gerard Darel leather flap satchel for $635. Comes in black too:
NMV8784_mp.jpg

Gerard Darel leather satchel with chain strap for $468.
NMV8658_mp.jpg

Miu Miu soft frame bag. Cuz I know you were looking for a leeeettle bit more structure than your Gusto. Yours for "only" $995.
20.gif

0404352331193_CMORO_275x275.jpg

Kooba large whipstitch leather shoulder bag. $625.
0411851706599_275x275.jpg

That''s all for now. I''m sure I''ll come across a few more later.
27.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
oh I looooove that gerard darel, KD! Do they have those at NM, or just online? mmmmm.

Might be a bit big, but I''d love to get my mitts on one to test drive it...
11.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, Neiman''s! Feel free to drag me along for a second opinion. Because you know, I HATE bag-shopping almost as much as I hate bling-shopping.
9.gif

mia15

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to say how cool this thread is. You guys are like the Superheroes of Handbags!

What do you think of Marc Jacobs handbags? Some of the models are looking a little tired to me, while others are and will remain classics, but I''ve always thought the lesser known shapes in neutrals were such a great deal on Ebay, and the quality is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results