shape
carat
color
clarity

pink topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need to ask a favor. I was scrolling through the SMTR here in colored stones and saw a couple of pink topaz stones. If you have something pink topaz, would you mind posting pics/? I have been looking at some online ones but they seem to be very soft pink or a nice vibrant deep pink.

I am asking bc I just got back my rhodo ganet split shank ring!!!I love love the setting and i like the garnet, in some lights, but other times it looss toooo dark. I am trying to take some accurate pics, but I never get anything good, even with macros.
7.gif

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
If you''re not talking about natural pink topaz I posted a photo of a pink topaz ring in the Show Me the Ring forum under the "Just for fun" topic. This stone had to be diffused treated.

Tony

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of my 10 year olds first ring project.. it is a 2 carat topaz.. the pictures do not do the ring justice.

minespinktopazdaughtersring.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
It is not a pale pink at all ... it is a rich yummy pink color.

She chose the stone after looking at a ton under a loupe and lining them up side by side. This year she made a garnet one.. next year... who knows...

minespinkstopazdaughter2.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi sophie, Most of the pink topaz I have seen are a very lite pink color. In very fine stones they do get close to red. Most have a brownish hue.
Mine have you had the stone in your daughters ring looked at by a gemologist? The reason I ask is because a natural pink topaz with that hue and saturation would be very expensive. I hope it turns out to be natural.
Doug

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks guys for your help.

if you look at my other thread, with the oval splitshank ring, you will see my rhodo garnet.

I guess it just looks redder than I had hoped it would once it was mounted.

I do want it to be a raspberry pink...I will cry if I have to keep looking for a stone, this is crazy...shoudn''t I just be happy??

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Actually Color~

A certified Gemologist sold it to me..
28.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Mine I guess I am just a firm believer in a saying by one of our ex-presidents . " Trust but verify ".

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
NOT a problem.
28.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Just as a general caveat on this subject, there is a lot of very nice-looking coated pink topaz on the market. If properly disclosed and properly priced (most of it''s dirt cheap) it can be a nice alternative to a natural deep pink. It does need to be cared for properly, though, as the coating can scratch.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/30/2006 4:20:34 PM
Author: colormyworld
Mine I guess I am just a firm believer in a saying by one of our ex-presidents . '' Trust but verify ''.

I would agree with this statement. Especially in these cases. The price differential between a great colored pink topaz natural vs coated is about 500-1,500x. Once set, (depending on the setting), the coating should be pretty well-protected (it should be on the pavilion).

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is true that the difference is huge and that buying from a certified gemmologist isn''t sufficient, unfortunately as some have a diploma and are not trustable anyway (though very few).
That why I have a "perfect" 2 Ct pink topaz looking exactly like a coated one and will have to have it certified to sell it...

Always be very cautious when a topaz looks exactly like a coated one...

Indeed more violetish ones are easier to sell at high prices because they do not look like the straight pink coated topaz.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
hey guys,
where does topaz fall on the hardness scale?

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Topaz is an 8 on the MOHS scale. However, topaz is pretty easy to chip.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 11:36:25 AM
Author: riogems
Topaz is an 8 on the MOHS scale. However, topaz is pretty easy to chip.

thanks Adam. How is its durability in comparison to rhodolite garnet??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 5:05:49 PM
Author: MINE!!
Here is a picture of my 10 year olds first ring project.. it is a 2 carat topaz.. the pictures do not do the ring justice.
awwww how cute a 10 year old with a first project!! I wonder if my 12 year old could get on board! :D

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure how the durability compares to rh. garnet. I believe the garnet would be more durable. From my experience I have a lot of chipped topazes. The rh. garnet will be easier to scratch, but at least from my experience chips with topaz seem to be a more common problem.

path914

Rough_Rock
Here is mine...

pinktopaz-small.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 7:50:58 PM
Author: path914
Here is mine...
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

oh my gosh!!!!this is gorgeous!!!! it is perfect color and looks like it is quite sparkly!!! where did you get it and what will you do with it???

thanks so much for the pic, could you possinly take one out in sun, too??
30.gif
30.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 7:50:58 PM
Author: path914
Here is mine...
Lovely pink....what size is it and is it natural????

path914

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the positive comments. Unfortunately, sun is a rare thing here in the Bay area. It is a 9x7mm oval and although I haven''t had a chance to do extensive testing beyond confirming the RI, I believe it has been treated in some way based entirely on the low price it was sold for.

I don''t have any particular plans for it at the moment, although I have had a few people express interest in buying it for a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results