shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions! Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vivosogno

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies,
There have been numerous threads on this topic but thought I would start a new one. I have tried to post one like this before and people took it the wrong way. I am not trying to offend anyone with this question -- please don''t take it the wrong way! I''m merely curious! Some ladies on here have large rings and some are more modest -- I love them all!!! This is all in fun!

1) How much is/did your fiance spend on your engagement ring?

2) What does your fiance do for a living? ( I always wonder this for the women with LARGE carat rings! -- lucky, lucky!)

3) What size is your ring (post a pic)!

I will start:

1) Our budget is 15K
2) He is in advertising sales
3) We are looking at a 1.85 carat round brilliant cut and a 3-sided, 2mm diamond pave band

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I don''t think people should feel offended as no one has to reply if they don''t like the question. I was married too long ago for the answer to be meaningful! Lol! Back then, my 1 ct. was on the large side of all the people I knew. I only knew one girl that got a 1.5 and she was marrying someone from a very wealthy family. So times have changed and e-ring diamonds are growing larger! I''m getting a 1.63 for our anniversary this year. I could afford to go larger, but that size is what I am most comfortable with. I also wanted no lower than H VS1, so I was able to get that.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
1) my budget wasn''t all that clear to me (i kept asking ''is this too much?'' and he kept saying ''get what you want''), but the ballpark i was shooting for was around ~$10k total for diamond and setting (we spent ~$12k)
2) he is a call center director
3) its a 1.29 asscher in a 3-sided half eternity/melee setting

725a.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
When I got engaged I was only 19, so:

1) the ring was $700
2) At the time my husband and I were in College, he had a part-time job as a valet/cart barn atttendent at a local country club
3) It''s a 1/2cttw yellow gold Zales marquis and roung thing. I don''t wear it much anymore...

My new upgrade for our 5th anniversary:

1) I set the budget at $1,000, and spent a little less. We could have gone much higher but I''m not comfortable wearing that much money on my hand, yet...
2) My hubby is an assistant superintendent (he''s in charge of the lawn mower crew) at a golf course, and I''m in HR
3) The new ring is a .94ct clarity enhanced oval in a platinum setting with a diamond eternity band.

We plan on another upgrade for our 15th or so, getting a better stone and having a mounting custom made.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2006 1:31:51 PM
Author: MustangGal
When I got engaged I was only 19, so:

1) the ring was $700
2) At the time my husband and I were in College, he had a part-time job as a valet/cart barn atttendent at a local country club
3) It''s a 1/2cttw yellow gold Zales marquis and roung thing. I don''t wear it much anymore...

My new upgrade for our 5th anniversary:

1) I set the budget at $1,000, and spent a little less. We could have gone much higher but I''m not comfortable wearing that much money on my hand, yet...
2) My hubby is an assistant superintendent (he''s in charge of the lawn mower crew) at a golf course, and I''m in HR
3) The new ring is a .94ct clarity enhanced oval in a platinum setting with a diamond eternity band.

We plan on another upgrade for our 15th or so, getting a better stone and having a mounting custom made.

are there pics?
31.gif
31.gif
of either of these rings, actually.

To answer the questions,
1: we didn''t have a dollar amount budget. We were in college and didn''t really know. He said get what you want.
I chose the style, he chose between 2 diamonds. (He chose the bigger of the 2, smart guy..hehe)
It was a .74 F VS2 princess (we paid about $5000 for that size, 4 yrs ago) with 1 carat tw channel set princesses on band. If memory serves me right, around $7000, Canadian.
2: He was a student, with a summer job managing a campground. Basically every penny of the summer wages went towards my ring, minus a few dollars for
Tim Horton''s coffee :)

3: We upgraded (or downgraded, depending on your opinion!) my center stone last year to a 153 J SI2 radiant cut on same 1 ctw princess channel band.
new center stone was $6000 canadian and they remade the setting too. (but add back the grand or so spent on the side diamonds and I would say it was around $8000??
Oh, and we now own that campground he used to manage, so maybe in a few years, I can add to my collection
31.gif
31.gif

Here is the pic I have, but need to take some better ones!

x444.JPG

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, forgot the pics! Here''s a link to my original. The one in the picture is the 1cttw version. Mine''s the same, just smaller.
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2085667&cp=2071132.2109136&fbx=1&cp=2071132&fbn=Ring+Style%7CBridal+Set&f=PAD%2FGender%2FLadies%27&f=PAD%2FMetal+Color%2FYellow&f=PAD%2FRing+Style%2FBridal+Set&fbc=1&categoryId=2109136&parentPage=search&searchId=17136349451

Here''s a bad pic of the new engagement ring, I don''t have any pics yet with the eternity band.
323f6710.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
in 1994 dollars we had about 6000. we bought the ring for 500, wedding bands and put the rest down on a house.

then respective parents gave us a total of 5000 and we spent that on the wedding and honeymoon.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock

1. When we first got engaged my now hubby was only working part time and we found a ring at Gordons on clearance for $500.00. It was listed as a .50cttw, Platinum Diamond Engagement Ring. Later we upgraded the center stone With one from James Allen and that was right under 2k I think? So all together i''d say my ring was right around if not slightly over $2,000.00 My wedding band was unfortunatly from Littmans and it was $900.00

2. When we first started my hubby was only working part time at Sunny Surplus. Then he got a full time position in a warehouse. We are poor

7.gif
We upgraded and it was somewhat foolish considering that 1.5k could of went into savings but we were living rent free and really my hubby wasn''t proud of my original ering. We had it looked at and found out it was really really bad. It was cut terribly deep, J/K in color and an I3 for clarity. The day my upgrade got to him I remember him telling me how he ran around work showing everyone and he was just grinning all day talking about how "awesome" it was. This was my hubby who doesn''t even LIKE jewelry! It really felt like it should of been the first ring to me.....something we were proud of. Something I could wear and love forever. Sappy...I know.

3. I said the specs from the original above,(The center turned out to be a .25ct poorly cut J/K, I3) we replaced it with an Ideal Cut, GIA certified round brilliant. .83ct, G, SI2 but eyeclean. My original platinum setting from Gordons has .30ct''s of baugettes in it that are probably pretty poor in color and clarity. I have a size 7 & 1/4 finger. My wedding band is .50cts, platinum, and it''s SI2 clarity and J in color. But since it''s the actual band I said my vows with, i''ll never change it!

I''ll put some pics with this. The first two are pics of my original ering.
178467892.jpg

178467890.jpg

This is the ering with the new upgraded stone:
178467889.jpg

With my wedding band:
176380080.jpg

178467897.jpg

I took my original ering stone, because i''m sentimental like that, and bought a .30ct antique style looking white gold setting from Jareds on clearance and got the stone reset. Here they both are and you can see the size difference.
178467895.jpg

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
1. My husband never gave me any inkling what his budget was. We looked together for him to get an idea what I liked and then he shopped himself. For me, it was all about the setting and I could only find one that I liked. My husband told me I should not get my hopes up (he was in dental school at the time), that he could only afford 1/8 of a carat. I said, "fine with me." He then totally surpised me with a $10,000 diamond at the proposal (no flames, please; he did not go into any debt for the ring).

2. Dentist.

3. A little over a carat (no flames, please, for the cost per carat--what''s done is done, and the setting was most important).

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I really like this thread because the budgets are all over the board.. but everyone has BEAUTIFUL rings..

1) I believe my e-ring was about $2600.. but I could be off one way or the other by a couple hundred..We just bought the setting and side stones.. My center stone was inherited..
2) My husband is now in car sales.. but I''m thinking he was unemployed at the time we got engaged. Yes.. yes he was.. He had been lifeguarding (poor guy was only 21 and I suckered him into marrying me.. hehe).. and then he got fired from that.. And when we got engaged he was just going to school full time I think..
3) My ring is an A jaffe setting with 2 .30 side stones. 18K White Gold.. My center stone is a .955 carat OEC that I inherited from my great grandma..

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
1) How much is/did your fiance spend on your engagement ring?
I have no idea. I know the setting was $1200, but that''s it.
2) What does your fiance do for a living? ( I always wonder this for the women with LARGE carat rings! -- lucky, lucky!)
He is a Business Analyst
3) What size is your ring (post a pic)!
My ring size is a 7, lol, my stone size is 1.14. Here''s
47b5dc29b3127cce9056abf06f5800000026108BauHDVq4Zg
a pic - I think the halo really makes the stone look WAY bigger!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Onem ore - I always jump at a chance to show ring pics, lol!!

And i must add that I didn''t know I was getting engaged - it was a suprise, thus I don''t know what my ring cost. Insurance has the whole thing valued at about $10,000, but I''m sure it cost less than that!!

18k, 1.14 h si
47b5dd25b3127cce90dee206841b00000016108BauHDVq4Zg

Giada

Shiny_Rock
My husband has never shared with me the price of my center diamond...and I''ve not asked. It''s sort of old-fashioned that way, and I like it.

Now, since I was involved in the selection and creation of my new halo setting, I know that it was $5000.

My husband owns a moving and storage company.

My center stone is 2.6cts, the setting has 1.5cts of pave and baguette stones set in platinum.

Giadahalo4.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results