shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Airport Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is just horrible. i am so glad for vickie and her family that you and your gf were there to help her in this terrible, unfortunate situation. the way the staff acted is absolutely reprehensible. you should, without question, send a letter. i just can''t believe there isn''t a better system in place for when things like this happen. please keep us posted on what, if anything, transpires.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I can’t thank you enough for all of the responses.

I’m finding that this thread is honestly therapeutic! Your comments resonate so strongly with the emotions we’ve felt. It’s very moving. I’m going to print all of this out for my girl. It will mean a lot to her.

So many people have given thanks to us for reacting as we did. I know you’ll understand when I tell you that no thanks are necessary. This is the reason I brought this story to Pricescope. I’m confident in the spirit of this community. I believe any of you would have reacted the same way in such a situation. Your words of support are deeply appreciated.

I have a few minutes of lunchtime left to reply...

First, lest it reflect badly on IAH, our getaway was in/out of DFW. For those who know both airports I’d think it more likely at Intercontinental too, where I’ve had some scurrilous experiences, but they pale next to this one.

Second, yes, I do have names. The name of the company, first names for red vesters involved and first/last name of the police officer. I also have Vickie’s parents’ names and home town and I intend to touch base with them if I can locate a number.

F&I, your speculation is interesting. We have Amber Alerts in TX. I wonder what proper process is required by law. My intent is to send an initial letter by Friday and follow up with a phone call early next week (regardless of reply). If I don’t receive satisfactory follow-up I think a shorter, ‘harsher’ letter to metroplex papers is a good suggestion. Following that, one of my best friends is a popular radio personality. If this gets ignored he has kids and would probably be willing to rattle a cage or two. Before taking such steps I think it’s appropriate to go to management at the source and give them the opportunity to react.

I can so appreciate Jeannine’s comment about children being like greased lightning. I didn’t say this previously, but I don’t blame the parents at all; her running on the train and the doors closing just happened so fast.

I honestly don’t know what people are thinking sometimes. I’ve tried to imagine any situation where a little kid would be in crisis and I would continue to be loud and make jokes about her predicament, but I can’t think of any such situation.

Perry, we wanted to stay with her until reunification, but the cart that came was a 2-seater. Her flight was leaving in about 20 minutes from another terminal and the officer had to squeeze in with her and the driver. Allowing the police to reunite her with her parents asap seemed the right thing to do. My girl agrees wholeheartedly with you of course; she cried after Vickie had to leave us. Another thought along those lines: I think seeing them together would have allowed us more closure. As it was we had no problem staying awake for the drive home and beyond because we were shaken up.

My Monday morning quarterback says I should have done an end-run on the red vests sooner than I did. It’s hard, in the moment, to know what an appropriate level of ‘screw this, I’m taking charge’ is when you have no authority and are trying to follow proper process. I do blame us for not following our instincts and getting to a real policeman from the get-go. Lesson learned.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable thoughts and suggestions.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The fact that it was at DFW makes it even more scary for that poor girl...DFW is insanely huge in comparison...it''s like 2 miles to walk 30 gates there!!!!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
OMG what a story!! Thank God for people like you and your GF.

Airports are scary places. I know one time I was picking up someone (I forget who, now, perhaps an ex) and could not find him... I believe what happened was the arrival terminal was changed, and I was in a panic... cell phones weren''t working/his wasn''t picking up/or some such thing. Finally I found a courtesy phone and the operator was very kind and paged over the intercom, and we found each other.

I highly recommend using the courtesy phones in any incidence such as this - of course, different airports may have different protocols, but I would imagine this is probably the quickest, direct way to reach someone ''in charge'' or that can contact the right people if no police are nearby.

What is interesting to me is that the young 20 yr old who actually tried to help you was able to obtain info on the child''s flight - I know that there are specific rules about NOT giving this information to ANYONE as it is a privacy issue - perhaps they made an exception because of the situation.

IN any case, I am so glad she was safely reunited and didn''t miss her flight!! I can only imagine what the parents felt like!!!
32.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
This story is nuts and someone ought to lose their job over this. Such cavalier attitudes over a lost child are inexcusable.

I would start with a letter to the airport CEO. Here is a list of names you need:

http://www.dfwairport.com/airport/pdf/senior-staff-org-chart.pdf

If these people are at all competent, I am guessing their VP of security is going to have a cow over this.

I would be careful about following up with the media, however. Don''t forget this isn''t just about the airport but also this girl''s family. They may not want this incident splashed all over the TV screens.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
John,

First, thank you for helping Vicki. I consider you and your lady as heroes.

I agree with the others that said your letter wasn''t harsh enough. I would include the names of the "red vests". I''d send copies to everyone...airport, media, police, etc. I''d also be calling and talking to someone with authority at the airport and tell them the story. It''s too easy for letters to "get lost". This is too serious of a matter to just write a letter.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Firstly, thank you for being the kind soul and taking care of the little girl. You might have prevented further danger towards her.

Secondly, I agree with some of the others that this is no small problem. I think you should branch out your letters as moviezombie suggested.

Thirdly, the response was just terrible!! Vent! I was at a beach in San Diego this past weekend, and they actually took great measures to look for a child and it was just a local beach. First, they announced over the loud speakers that there is a lost child named --, wearing --, -- old, blond, etc and for everyone to look up if they see her and bring her to the lifegaurd tower. Next, they cleared entire water, surfers and all! Finally, they sent two helicopters above the beach to look for her.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I''m with the people that suggested you get tougher with the letter--name names, call people, etc. Like everyone has said, kudos to you and your wife for doing the right thing.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
JohnQ, well, we all see that indeed you are Sir John. You were a little girl''s knight in shining armor for certain. Your lovely lady probably helped to ease her fears of being with a man she did not know as well. Thank you for going out of your way to help a child in danger. She was not just lost you know. She was truly in danger.

I am not surprised to hear that it was DFW. I had an experience with my then FI now DH there that led us to rename the airport with its current acronym. I''ll e-mail it to you as it''s not appropriate language for PS.
2.gif

I would definitely contact all of the higher ups that you could. I think you should be a little more angry in the letter. Nice does tend to get overlooked. Maybe not angry so much as outraged that this could happen in the age of disappearing children. I think that you could notify the media without contacting the family if you omit even the child''s first name in your references. It is enough that you know and have it should the need arise. They could then decide whether or not to respond if they see the story. Other than that, KUDOS to both you and your girlfriend for taking the time to do what I hope would be done should one of my children get separated from me and my hubby.

shay

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

John, thank you for doing not only what was good, but what was right. The mind boggles to think what the outcome might have been had you not intervened and showed the greatest kindness and concern. I''ll sleep better knowing there are people like you and your SO on this earth.

And yes, please write letters and make as many calls as necessary to enlighten those who otherwise would be indifferent and unaware.

cheers--Sharon

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
it''s a sad world we live in when people don''t care about lost children...very sad. Eveyone by human nature should care about a lost child. I just don''t understand the mentality of those workers.
You did the right thing by helping her. I am so glad you were there.
In regards to the letter, I agree with the previous post that it should be a bit shorter and more harsh. It is true that some people just tune out and don''t read long letters (even if they should). I have found this in the business world - long memos get put aside to read later, never to be fully read. Even I myself am guilty of this. I"m not saying they wouldn''t read a long letter, just my personal experience.
I hope if anything comes of this the airport puts a polciy in place for sitatuions like this and all employees are trained for such matters.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
John~
Thank you so much for helping that little girl. If I had children and one became separated from me, I can''t imagine the terror I would feel. THANK YOU for proving there is still good in this world.
That being said, I agree with the others. Send letters to everyone, and everyone''s supervisors. Be mean, otherwise nothing will get done. Make it short and to the point i.e. ''On August 7 I encountered a lost child and was utterly disgusted by (insert names here) lack of concern, ignorance, and rudeness in helping this child. If I hadn''t found (insert police officer''s name here) I fear what may have happened to this child due to your incompetent actions.''
Send the letter to the airport, the specific departments, the CEO of DFW, everyone...and keep the detailed version for the media if you choose to do so. If you decide to make it public, certainly they''ll be questioned and have to respond in some manner be it ''No comment'' or ''We apologize.''
THANK YOU!!!

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I agree with all the similar opinions above. I found the airport personnel response to be horrifying and I thank you and your wife for helping that girl out. Thank goodness you guys were there.

Diamondlove

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d also have the parents get involved. I''m sure they would be happy to do so. I bet once they heard of the callous behavior of the red vested employees they''d want to have their voice heard as well.
29.gif
I''m sure they are truly appreciative that you and your gal where there for there daughter and would want to make sure something like this doesn''t happen again.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
John, thank God for you and your lady''s hearts for this little lost girl, bless you both!

I have to agree with Capt Aubrey, be careful about the media angle without checking with Vickie''s parents first. Even so, I think it should be up to them to bring this to the media, not you. Definitely send the letter to the parents if you can find them, send it to the red vest people (individually, by name perhaps), to their superiors, the airport security superiors, and the airport police, including a copy to the gentleman who took Vickie to her parents, but let Vickie''s parents decide when it''s time to contact the media. Perhaps you could include an addressed and stamped letter with their copy of your letter for them to send at their discretion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - this whole saga beggars belief
38.gif
I CANNOT BELIEVE that in this day and age that reuniting a missing child with their parents doesn''t take highest priority
29.gif
I can only say with the others thank GOD you and your lady were there to help this little girl. As to the red vest brigade, let ''em have it Sir John
14.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
My Monday morning quarterback says I should have done an end-run on the red vests sooner than I did. It’s hard, in the moment, to know what an appropriate level of ‘screw this, I’m taking charge’ is when you have no authority and are trying to follow proper process. I do blame us for not following our instincts and getting to a real policeman from the get-go. Lesson learned.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable thoughts and suggestions.
John, I just wanted to say that YOU are not to blame for anything. You were the ones who made sure the girl got back to her parents safely. You should receive the credit not any blame. Please know that many out there wouldn''t have done what you did and you are appreciated for all that you did.
Take care.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Update.

I located Vickie''s parents and made time to speak with them. They were extremely grateful to know what took place in the time she was missing. The policeman told them she''d been found by a nice couple and had spent her time at the Lost & Found office, but they had no other particulars. Predictably, Vickie didn''t talk much about it. Her father said they kept hoping to hear a page over the airport PA. When they finally heard she was with an airport policeman it was the greatest relief they''d ever known.

He feels strongly about what happened, especially the lack of urgency in communicating that she was found and safe. They were out of their minds for about 40 minutes and had made themselves pretty obvious to authorities. I provided him with my narration and the names I have and he would like to handle it personally. He''s more comfortable if outside attention is not drawn to this and prefers to go through proper, professional channels.

This is a sensible course of action, since his appeals as a concerned parent will carry more weight than mine as a finder of lost souls. I''ll provide any support necessary.

I will let you all know what I hear back. Thanks again, Pricescopers.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
That''s good to know. While this episode ended up "happy", the next one might not. Hopefully, the necessary steps will be taken to prevent such event.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you John & lady friend, for doing the right thing, and being a good people.
I wish more people were like you. (and less apathetic.)
Vickie will always remember the nice man to helped her when she got lost.

Three Cheers for John and his GF!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Scintillating...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, John. I missed this when it was first posted. Those of us with kids feel heartsick literally when we read something like this. I can''t imagine the fear of having your child lost for that long in a major airport!!!! I am glad you got in touch with her parents so they could know what happened during the missing time. It could happen to anyone..it only takes a second for a child to be out of sight. But it is totally beyond my comprehension that those airport people were not treating it as the major emergency that it was!!! Bless you and your girlfriend for taking care of her!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
All you had to do was try and send that cute, pajama clad little girl through security with a bottle of shampoo and Dasani water and every policeman in the place would have come running to find out who she belonged to.
20.gif

I''m glad that you helped that little girl get reunited with her parents. I''m sure they were terrified out of their minds. Thank goodness you and your girlfriend were kind enough to make sure she got where she needed to be. Probably no thanks from the folks at the airport but a big pat on the back from this parent of a 6 year old pajama clad little girl and her twin brother (and older brother)

Definately write your letter and demand a response on how they plan to improve their system for the next parent that has that happen to them.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank God for people like you and your lady! I''m so glad little Vicky is safe, poor girl... The people at the airport make me want to scream!
29.gif

It''s great that you were able to talk to her parents and that they wiil handle it. I hope something good will come out of this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results