shape
carat
color
clarity

yikes . . . jealous girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
We live in a small third floor condo in the citiy, and have become quite good friends with our neighbors. Birthday dinners, somebody always getting drinks for the others, etc. A new neighbor moved in just across the way . . .

First impressions, the owner is a very nice guy, pretty good-looking, about 30. His girlfriend is (I''m sorry!) really not good looking (they met on Match.com). We''ve hung out with them out back maybe three times, and every time she has made comments about other women being after her man. The first was when we brought up another neighbor, about 38, divorced, always out on the town, whom she described as a "man eater" whom she''d been warned against. But this woman got our mail and watered our plants while we were out of town, so we certainly weren''t going to gang up on her with someone we''d just met. Yes, she is pretty and likes to go out on the town, but who can blame her? She''s just trying to find happiness in life. So anyway, when the "man eater" finally met the new guy, the girlfriend made a big show of going inside (probably to pout and hope her man would follow her and ask what was wrong). I remember thinking, "This is weird; she told us that she shouldn''t trust Kathy with her man, then she left him alone with her . . ." and then I realized that was probably some sort of test on her part.

So anyway, tonight we spend an hour or two out back, and various neighbors wandered up to our landing to chat. I had been having my vodka tonics and feeling loose, so I decided to show off my new ring to another neighbor. This neighbor is late 50''s, widowed 10 years ago by a much older husband, who likes to date and go out on the town as well. We have become quite good friends, and I knew that even though she was a bit inebriated, she would be excited about my new ring (and she was). So I showed it to her while the guys were talking. All of a sudden, the new guy''s girlfriend announced that she was going in. Then the new guy said, "Thanks for bringing up wedding jewelry in front of her."

Yikes!!! I''m sorry, but this girl is WAY too sensitive. I mean, my husband is an ENFP (all of you who have been following the personality thread know what I''m talking about), and in his day he had lots of girls who seemed to like him or think he was interested in and of whom I was slightly jealous, but I certainly never revealed this in front of strangers or made it seem like I was justified in my jealousy. But she has already mentioned two girls of whom she is suspicious, gone inside in "please follow me!" fits, and gotten upset about topics of conversation.

I know I don''t know these people at all, but my guess is that this guy could do way better. I hope he figures that out before it is too late.

We were at a wedding on Saturday and were asked to give advice on a card for the bride and groom on their marriage. Our advice was to respect what was important to each other (ahem . . . sorry, but had to allude to my difficulty in getting my new band, although everything worked out and DH was more clueless than anything) and to allow each other to pursue individual interests and friendships. I''m really glad when DH goes out so I can finally sit around in my PJ''s and watch whatever chick flick I want or so that I can go out with girlfriends. But it seems like this woman is so insecure that she never leaves this guy alone and has fits in front of almost complete strangers. Yeesh!

I will not be afraid to mention the fact that I am married or that my husband has bought me jewelry!

[Suddenly feeling like my own relationship is pretty functional after all].
26.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
not to arm chair psychoanalyze BUT she is clearly possessive and jealous. It would seem to me that if HE is smart, he will see it now and end the relationship. People like her do not get OVER being jealous, and marrying them does not make them feel more secure. It will only worsen, and she will start to blow every little thing involving other women out of proportion. He will not be able to be out of her site or glance toward another woman without a blowup. Yikes, the poor guy, she is going to be like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction if he is not careful!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Insecure, insecure, insecure. There is not way that relationship can last long term without both of them being miserable.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have to wonder if he has given her reason to be insecure...

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 9:58:37 PM
Author: ladykemma

When there''s smoke, there''s fire... maybe. She could just be a nut. But there is a big difference between letting women crawl all over you and not encouraging them, and actively discouraging them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
their problem, not yours re 'other women'.

also not your problem that he had a problem with you flashing your ring. his issue to deal with and he was a jerk for making his comment.

given my personality + a few drinks, i'd probably have told him 'i'm not privy to your relationship issues but i am proud of my ring and don't see anything wrong with that'. and i'd leave it at that. btw, like your hubby, i'm an ENFP.

imo, their are not friendship material and to be avoided.

movie zombie

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
hmm...

sounds like she has insecurities because maybe, like you said, she knows she''s not the best looking girl out ther. She probably feels a threat that this great guy she managed to catch will leave her for the next nice piece of booty he can find? That''s what it sounds like.

All women have insecurities about themselves in a relationship, but she''s just taking it a little overboard with the fits and lashing out at people and it''s just making her look really dumb AND upsetting her bf obviously. (how embarassing for him as well).....

She''s on the fast track to losing a good guy...maybe someone should warn her before she REALLY has something to be insecure about...

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
EDIT: opps...forgot to put who I'm replying to on here...I'm replying to Movie Zombie's comment!!!
"also not your problem that he had a problem with you flashing your ring. his issue to deal with and he was a jerk for making his comment."

he probably felt pressure because maybe hasn't given any type of jewelry to his gf yet....(and the way she reacted kind of made her look a bit materialistic...jealous of someones ring....)

sheribaaby

Rough_Rock
Dumb question here... what is "EFNP"?

Jealousy is poison and caused by insecurity. I can''t stand when a guy friend has a jealous and possessive woman. It is one thing to expect others to respect your relationship (don''t openly flirt with my man.. etc.) but quite another to constantly be looking for something. I am sure she makes everyone around her feel uncomfortable.

Just keep being you - I''d be showing off my ring too!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 11:05:43 AM
Author: sheribaaby
Dumb question here... what is 'EFNP'?

Jealousy is poison and caused by insecurity. I can't stand when a guy friend has a jealous and possessive woman. It is one thing to expect others to respect your relationship (don't openly flirt with my man.. etc.) but quite another to constantly be looking for something. I am sure she makes everyone around her feel uncomfortable.

Just keep being you - I'd be showing off my ring too!
-humanmetrics/personality type efnp or enfp? Extrovert Inuitive Feeling Perceiving, I think

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 10:20:37 PM
Author: Galateia
Date: 8/7/2006 9:58:37 PM

Author: ladykemma

When there''s smoke, there''s fire... maybe. She could just be a nut. But there is a big difference between letting women crawl all over you and not encouraging them, and actively discouraging them.

That fire may have burned a long time ago in a forest far, far away. I''ve met many nutty girls. It usually developed from something that happened in her family, or in a previous relationship. Nothing to do with the current guy. She just kept that nutty behavior.

If I were there, being a guy (and we''re honest/rude like this), I''d have asked him why he was with her and that he should dump the psycho before she does a Fatal Attraction on him. In shorter and not so nice language. Yes, that''s bold and rude and very forward, but he provided the opening by being that way first when he said, "Great, thanks for bringing up wedding jewelry in front of her." That comment made it open season on them.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sheribaaby, ENFP is a personality type from the Myers-Briggs test (other tests sort people differently). The ENFP is, too generalize, a highly social, life of the party, spontaneous person. Plus DH was in a band for a while, so he literally had groupies (well, one or two at least). All I meant was that even though DH is a charismatic person who can sometimes be overly friendly without realizing it, I was never like that. Here is a description of the types (ENFP is #2 when you scroll down). Not that this is anything more than a theory, but I''ve found it to be fairly accurate.

Yes, true, we need to be on the lookout for Fatal Attraction!

Here are some theories -- maybe he finds the jealousy flattering, or maybe his parent (probably mother) acted that way and his father was the conciliator, so he doesn''t know better.

Also, I think some people have the approach of, "If I state the awful thing that I think is obvious to everyone out loud, then it will dissipate the embarrassment." I took a class to get recertified this summer, and a bunch of the other teachers made these really long, embarrassing apologies for how bad their final oral reports were. My report actually was pretty bad (got stage fright, skipped the extra tidbits I was supposed to add and read monotonously from my powerpoint, facing away from everyone) until I got into the groove, but my feeling is that it just makes it worse to seek insincere reassurance from everyone else, getting them to say, "Oh no, it was great, you did better than you think." So I just did the best I could and sat down.

So maybe that is her tack -- to acknowledge in front of everyone that she knows he''s flirting or being flirted with because she thinks that''s what we''re all secretly thinking. Who knows.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Regardless of what is going on between them, be glad it is not your problem. I would avoid becoming friends with this high maintenance slash difficult couple. If neighborhood dynamics demand that you be friendly, I would keep it light and at the surface level. If they are this difficult now, imagine how it will be when you get to know them better.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I think there is often way more to people and their relationships than one can detect from social interaction. For example, when I was with my ex-bf, I was mad at him all the time because he was irresponsible, lazy and immature. He never was interested in listening to me and his eyes would glaze over if we were talking about anything other than him. (Hence the term, ex). But, he made a very good first impression, which is what sucked me in in the first place. But I am sure his friends thought I was a total b#$ch because we were constantly fighting. I think you really need to know someone before you can understand the dynamic of their relationship. My DH and I don''t fight much at all because he is mature, responsible and listens to everything I say....well, ALMOST everything. haha

I think it is possible he is with this girl because he is equally dysfunctional in some way. I think you attract people who are your same level of ''screwed up''..if you will.

I have spent lots of time with my sister and her husband and I cannot detect much of anything about their relationship. If she called me and said she was getting a divorce, it wouldn''t surprise me because she never allows anyone to see what it is like other than her occasional bragging about his career. You never know really.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is true that we only see what others want us to see. Maybe he really provokes her, some people thrive on drama and making her jealous might be a way for him, if he is at all insecure, to feel that she really cares. Of course most of us know that that tends to backfire in the long run...but some couples have to go through it, it is not rational at all. If you continue to see this stuff, I would also second the opinion that you keep it light and friendly but not get too closely involved. They might end up breaking up and involving you in the drama, and I just would not want to be sucked in to that vortex.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, drama queens/kings are weird. But, they exist. I know a dude who, I guess you call him a drama king? Pretty normal except for the fact that he likes to cause/receive drama. Strange, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results