shape
carat
color
clarity

Put a Fork in Me -- I''m Done!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 4:35:50 PM
Author: CareBear
Date: 7/17/2006 3:51:22 PM

Author: Demelza

Date: 7/17/2006 3:08:56 PM

Dem, you mention a while ago that you had it set by a jeweler in Washington? Can you tell me which jeweler and where? I really like how it was set. DH's family lives there and we visit pretty often. I'm kinda anal about the prong tips and don't like the way superbcert does theirs. Everyone else thinks my ring is fine the way it is but it bothers me so I'm contemplating having mine fixed. I assume reseting is not a problem since you had your stone swapped out?

I'm happy to tell you the jeweler's name, but he didn't do anything to the prong tips. They're as they were when the mounting left the SC factory. I actually asked him about having them shaved down and he said that, for safety reasons, he would leave them as is. He said that, in his opinion, having tiny little prong tips simply isn't safe. Do my prong tips look different from yours? What about them bother you? Anyway, the jeweler is in Bellingham, WA (about an hour and a half north of Seattle and an hour south of Vancouver, BC). It's called GB Heron and the bench jeweler's name is Garry.
Dem, I'm happy with the prongs themselves but the part that folds over my diamond is a bit too long and 'sharp'. makes my diamond look less round. The tips of your prongs are more rounded which I like better. I also think it covers the crown too much. From the side profile, the prongs are almost half way to the table.

It's interesting that your prongs would be noticeably different from mine. Did you have SC set your stone? If you did, then I assume your lifetime warranty is still valid in which case I might talk to them about your concerns. Perhaps they can modify the prongs for you and then you wouldn't be compromising your warranty should something go wrong. If the warranty isn't a concern for you and Bellingham isn't too far, see what Garry says. He's apparently one of only 3 certified Master jewelers in the state of WA. He'll be honest with you and tell you if he thinks the prongs can be modified without compromising the integrity of the setting. Are you otherwise happy with your setting?

Thanks, guys, for all the kind words!! I just love this stone and I'm glad you like it too!!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2006 7:23:46 PM
Author: Mara
carebear i love love love the way wf made my prong tips on the stuller...they are like little claw prongs and all it took was some polishing and shaping. also in terms of safety, i figure i''ve got 6 now and i used to have 4 so i don''t know how one 10000th of a mm is going to make a diff in protecting my diamond esp since the part that is on the stone is what is trimmed down anyway. big prongs is a total pet peeve of mine so i would totally recommend getting yours trimmed down if you want them visually different. IMO it does make a difference in the ''look''.
I love love love the way wf made your prong tips too! Yours are my favorite PS prong tips. Though I might be the only person to have favorite prong tips=P I actually have one of your close up pictures saved for when I do decide to get the prongs fix or for my next setting. I''m about 80% sure at this point I want to upgrade sometime soon, in which case this current setting would be tossed out anyways. And when I do I plan on sending them (superbcert or whoever does the setting) your picture=) DH''s going back to school so it''s upgrade before he starts or not for another 2 years.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dem, I had supercert set my diamond. I checked their website and they set all their tiffany replica''s a little "funky" with long sharp tips. No sure why they do that. So it''s either an upgrade or I''m gonna get someone to fix these tips. Little things like that bugs the heck out of me.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 5:43:05 PM
Dem, I had supercert set my diamond. I checked their website and they set all their tiffany replica's a little 'funky' with long sharp tips. No sure why they do that. So it's either an upgrade or I'm gonna get someone to fix these tips. Little things like that bugs the heck out of me.

Oooo, what kind of upgrade are you thinking of??? Is your stone from Superbcert?

If you do decide to keep your setting, I'd be interested to hear what SC says about the prongs. I remember asking Barry about modifying the prong tips even before they sent me the finished mounting. His advice was to leave them as is in order to ensure the safety/protection of the stone. I'm going to head over to the SC website to see if I see a difference between how their stones are set and how my stone is set. Do you have a close up pic of your prongs? You're getting me curious, hehe. And I totally understand about how seemingly little details can bug you to no end. I'm pretty sure 2 of my prongs are slightly further apart than the other 2 and I can't wait to have my jeweler tweek them ever so slightly. Once I notice something, it's all I see.

ETA Just found your old thread about your ring. I actually think I do see a difference between our prongs. Yours do seem a bit longer for some reason. And your stone seems to be set a bit lower. I like that it looks more "spready" than mine does. Anyway, maybe my jeweler did cut the prongs a bit when he first set the stone; I think that may be fairly standard practice. I know he didn't shave them down at all, though. Perhaps SC just leaves them a bit longer???

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2006 6:45:21 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 7/20/2006 5:43:05 PM
Dem, I had supercert set my diamond. I checked their website and they set all their tiffany replica's a little 'funky' with long sharp tips. No sure why they do that. So it's either an upgrade or I'm gonna get someone to fix these tips. Little things like that bugs the heck out of me.

Oooo, what kind of upgrade are you thinking of??? Is your stone from Superbcert?

If you do decide to keep your setting, I'd be interested to hear what SC says about the prongs. I remember asking Barry about modifying the prong tips even before they sent me the finished mounting. His advice was to leave them as is in order to ensure the safety/protection of the stone. I'm going to head over to the SC website to see if I see a difference between how their stones are set and how my stone is set. Do you have a close up pic of your prongs? You're getting me curious, hehe. And I totally understand about how seemingly little details can bug you to no end. I'm pretty sure 2 of my prongs are slightly further apart than the other 2 and I can't wait to have my jeweler tweek them ever so slightly. Once I notice something, it's all I see.

ETA Just found your old thread about your ring. I actually think I do see a difference between our prongs. Yours do seem a bit longer for some reason. And your stone seems to be set a bit lower. I like that it looks more 'spready' than mine does. Anyway, maybe my jeweler did cut the prongs a bit when he first set the stone; I think that may be fairly standard practice. I know he didn't shave them down at all, though. Perhaps SC just leaves them a bit longer???
I haven't really decided on the exact stone yet. I'll let you guys know when it's for sure. My stone is from superbcert.
I'm pretty sure Barry is going to tell me he doesn't want to change the prongs too and that it's fine the way it is. I'm guessing he doesn't get that many complaints since non PS customers aren't that anal about these things. That's why I'm looking into other places to fix it or maybe even getting it set elsewhere. Now I'm sure the problem is not with the setting itself but with the person setting it since ur tips are rounded. The real Tiffany tips are actually completely different from either of ours. It curves inward at the tips so that when you look at it from the top, the diamond looks more round and the tips are "flat edged". Are you going to the same jewelery in WA to fix it? How much does he charge?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
carebear just as an FYI...the prongs start out much longer before the diamond is set, and you can have them done however you want typically when they set a stone. i just have a pet peeve on big prongs and so i kept stressing tiny prong tips to WF...esp since i was only used to 4 prongs and i was going to have 6...i didn't want them to be all big and poky. plus i had 4 super tiny prong tips on my old stone and it was fine so i figured with 6 prongs they definitely didn't need to be all big. i am a total prong tip psycho...other stuff on the rings does not really bother me, aka i could care less about symmetry of prongs or whatever but the tips HAVE to be tiny and WF went above and beyond with how claw prongy they made them, which i was not expecting, gotta love it!! anyway i would imagine you could get a good local jeweler to modify them, what about toppers in burlinggame? they made slammie's and milly's settings!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mara, my friend's WF's tiffany replica has teeny tiny prong tips just looks just like yours! He, or rather his fiance, has you to thank for that! I think WF started making all their 6 prong solitaires that way.
Sorry dem, didn't mean to turn this thread into a prong tip discussion.

(Please don't post this pic to Eye Candy thread)

wf-tiffrep.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those prongs are divine CB!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prong update.

I called Barry to ask about the setting. I expressed that I wanted small prong tips and although I wanted the stone low, I did not want it extremely low. He told me that they try to set them true to the original. However, I don''t see that the prongs look the same on the Tiffany site compared to the SC site. So I''m not sure how receptive he is to input on that. My other option would be to have them make the setting and send it over to GOG for them to set. I''ll have to pay a setting fee either way since I wouldn''t be buying both from the same place. So Dem, you did it that way...had the setting made and your jeweler set it? I''ll tell you, nothing is simple, is it?

I might still send it to Barry to set but email him a picture of a real Tiffany setting and hope for the best.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS i think if you have the jeweler/GOG set your stone, it voids the SC warranty, which is kind of the problem Dem had with her porosity issue..if I recall correctly, SC said that the jeweler caused the problem which was not the case if it was porosity, but after someone else touches it, I think the warranty is void. So you may want to check into that as well!! I would imagine that GOG could set the stone and make the prongs how you want rather than how SC wants to do it their way regardless, but voiding the warranty may not make that as appealing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2006 8:51:59 PM
Author: Mara
DS i think if you have the jeweler/GOG set your stone, it voids the SC warranty, which is kind of the problem Dem had with her porosity issue..if I recall correctly, SC said that the jeweler caused the problem which was not the case if it was porosity, but after someone else touches it, I think the warranty is void. So you may want to check into that as well!! I would imagine that GOG could set the stone and make the prongs how you want rather than how SC wants to do it their way regardless, but voiding the warranty may not make that as appealing.
Ugh, that''s true Mara. I''m just not sure whether to take a chance on the prongs or not. If I got the Vatche setting from GOG, I wouldn''t have to pay a setting fee and Vatche would make their prongs right! I just wish I could try the Vatche on with the Tiffany 7 stone band, but the jeweler did not have that Vatche setting. I''m about to set the thing in a generic 6 prong tiffany Stuller and forget the whole thing!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2006 5:12:57 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Prong update.

I called Barry to ask about the setting. I expressed that I wanted small prong tips and although I wanted the stone low, I did not want it extremely low. He told me that they try to set them true to the original. However, I don''t see that the prongs look the same on the Tiffany site compared to the SC site. So I''m not sure how receptive he is to input on that. My other option would be to have them make the setting and send it over to GOG for them to set. I''ll have to pay a setting fee either way since I wouldn''t be buying both from the same place. So Dem, you did it that way...had the setting made and your jeweler set it? I''ll tell you, nothing is simple, is it?

I might still send it to Barry to set but email him a picture of a real Tiffany setting and hope for the best.
DS, are you looking for prong tips that look like the real Tiffany, or are you looking ones that are teeny tiny like Mara''s? The real Tiffany prong tips are actually not that small. I don''t think you will find a replica that''s exactly like the real one. What does the generic 6 prong tiffany Stuller look like?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''d like them to look like the real Tiffany, which is not what they look like on the SC site. This is just all so much trouble! I am getting weary! I was half kidding about the plain ol'' generic tiffany, but it''s getting better and better by the moment! Haha!

stul6prtif.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
STUNNING. That pretty much says it all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results