shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been at this temp (very temp, project is just 4 days long-- and as fast as we are going may even end tonight... of course, tonight if I work will 11 pm-- which I will) project for 2 days and I''ve been offered, unofficially, one of two more permanent positions (last about 6 months to a year (minimum) they have open. It was implied in the offer that I get my pick of which one I want. So... I thought I''d run them by you all.

Pay is the same for both.

One is supervising two other attorneys (who are already here both older than me and have been here a long time) with continuous document review projects (boring, tedious work) in an office with a window. I would be allowed to work some hours from home, although I would physically have to come in everyday. Work would be about 40-60 hours a week depending on project load-- but anything over 40 would be at home. Both attorney''s are nice-- although one of them has a temper and is well... a little scary. Pluses are... I would be in charge, I would get to work from home, job is so tedious I can watch DVD''s while doing it (I kid you now), and it''s very laid back and casual. Plus the office is bright and airy and fun.

Job number two would be working as an attorney assisiting senior attorney''s with insurance litigation. I would learn how to do this work (have no clue how to now) and be mentored in it. I would work in the firms plush main offices (instead of in the document annex where the other job is) in a windowless dingy office with 6 other attorney''s of the same ''rank'' was me (also contract attorney''s) -- none of whom I''ve met but who I have heard are very nice. I would be treated (no doubt) as a temp by the ''permanent'' attorney''s but would gain a lot of valuable experience. Work would all be done on site, and I would work about 50-60 hours a week. The work would be challenging for the most part instead of tedious (no DVD''s...lol).

My commute, round trip, would be 3 hours to either position.

The second one is more ambitious and more demanding--- but I''m scared, I have no self confidence right now, and am afraid if I take it the senior attorney''s will see through me in a number of days and I''ll get fired. The first is well... cake except for the supervising which scares me.

Help?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I think you already know the answer...

take the more challenging job! You will learn more and will benefit greatly. Besides, working for someone scary is a bad, bad thing. I''ve done it before... it makes even the easiest job impossible.

Good luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez, that''s a toughie. My gut reaction is to go with job #1, but know nothing about the kind of work that job #2 involves. Sounds like you would enjoy job #1 more but who knows. Tough call. I know you will get better advice than moi. So good luck, when do you have to choose. Is it possible to spend a day with the people at job #2?? Just a thought.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 4:48:42 PM
Author: AmandaPanda
I think you already know the answer...

take the more challenging job! You will learn more and will benefit greatly. Besides, working for someone scary is a bad, bad thing. I've done it before... it makes even the easiest job impossible.

Good luck!
I would be supervising her, specifically. She's apparently very lazy. And they want someone to stay on top of her.

ETAL Job #2 would involve some paralegal duties... which I'm not adverse to. But well... some lawyers flat out refuse to do.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, Gypsy. I would pick the job at the main office, not only for the experience but also because you''ll probably meet lots of important contacts there and you would be among the first to know everything else that''s going on in the firm. The only way to build self-confidence is to throw yourself into challenges. Good luck with whichever job you choose.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah... well it was a surprise, I wasn''t expecting a long-term job offer. Especially after two days of work.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Which job will look best on your resume? Do you need supervisory responsibility no matter how tedious the job? Or do you need the more hands-on job skills? What is it you''re trying to achieve with this job? You need to keep a strategic focus when choosing a job. Where do you want to be in 5-10 years, and which job will best help you get there? That''s the job that''s right for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh researcher. I''m lost. I have no idea where I want to be in the 5-10 years. I don''t know the answers to those questions. I can''t imagine how the supervisory job would be helpful... unless I changed fields. Supervising Doc Review isn''t something that''s particularly useful. Although the supervisory role might be good. As for the insurance position... yes, that would be helpful if I enjoyed it and wanted to practice... which I might. I just... well. I have a background in another area of practice and I LIKE that area... but I''ve had no luck finding a job to date in that field. And the other thing I am interested in is legislative bill drafting-- but well... don''t have one of those on the line. Really for me, while the positions are long term-- neither is permanent. But well... the second one has a better future. I think. Maybe. I could be wrong.

If I could manage my own career and if my gut knew the ''right'' thing to do-- I wouldn''t be in this mess. I just don''t know if I can trust my gut.

magpye

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy, I would take the second job. Challenging is good. It will keep you on your toes and you will learn something new. When you try new things you find out more about what you like, what you don''t like and what you are capable of. It''s a growing experience. Fear is also a great motivator, but you sound very intelligent so why are you worried?

Plus, you don''t want to be a babysitter to someone who doesn''t want to work. That will make your job more stressful in the long run. Who do people blame when stuff doesn''t get done? The supervisor, and you can''t point the finger at the lazy attorney. That will just come off as unprofessional and immature.

But you are more familiar with the facts of the situation than I am. I''m sure you will make the right choice for you. Good luck!
2.gif

ETA: insurance law often helps legislators draft new laws in the insurance arena! Job 2 might help you get one step closer to doing something you love!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
do you have kids?
i would take the low key job if i had kids and i would take that challenging job if i didn't.

seems like miss mean will be gone soon.....probably they need someone to document her behavior enough to get enough on her, then to kick her out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No kids LadyK. None in our future either.

Yeah, I think I''m going to push for number 2. But, one of the other temps might be in the running now too. He was committed elsewhere and of the people brought on the project he and I were the only two they liked... so they offered for me. But now that he''s been offered a choice of staying here or going to another position elsewhere... he''s making noises about staying here. And he''s a guy. I think (without them saying it) that they want a female for the supervisory position because of the climate here .... so that may mean that they give him the other and ask me to stay here, darn it!
23.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t you hate these types of decisions?? You feel like you should be grateful for having any choice at all, but being grateful would be a whole lot easier if you''d just been offered one!!

Personally, my initial instinct was to lean towards #1... I like having some flexibility with my schedule and the autonomy of managing myself rather than being somebody''s assistant. And an office with a window would be a big factor for me! I am just a more balanced, stress-free person when I feel in control of my job, rather than working in a position that controls me... if that makes sense at all!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Oh Gypsy, it sounds as though you''re already liking job #2 (that''s my vote too).

Why do you have to worry about what''s going on with that other guy? They offered you the job. If you want it, walk in and accept it, tomorrow. If they have changed their minds and want to offer it to someone else because he has a "twig and berries", and they want to make you the babysitter because you have "missy bits" then they''re going to have to explain that to you in a way that does not violate employment law (they''re lawyers for god''s sake, they know better)!

I feel pretty confident when I say that your competition is not home worrying tonight about what YOU''RE thinking you''d like to do. He''s probably home thinking either job is his for the asking. Start thinking like that too, and others will treat you accordingly.

I wish you luck.

Job #2 really sounds a lot more interesting. Litigation...how many lawyers go through their entire careers and never see the inside of a court room (except maybe for their own divorce
31.gif
). You could learn all the tricks of the trade from the corporate side, and then switch to the plaintiff side a la Jann Schlictmann (from A Civil Action). He''s my lawyer hero.

Anyway, let us know what you decide. I''ll be very interested to hear how it turns out.

Best,
LizzyD

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Take the second job......the experience from it will help you be a position later on to get the more plum, flexible job without having to prove yourself at the same time.

As someone else pointed out......the second offers more contacts, more potential, better opportunities.

Don''t be psychotic and insecure - you''re a smart, SMART cookie, Miss Gypsy.
1.gif
Don''t sell yourself short....you''ve got to be your own advocate, so only positive thinking. In the business world, there''s enough idiots standing in the line trying to take you out without getting into that line yourself!

Sending positive, strong wishes for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, here I am on vacation logging on to PS because I see a "help" post from you! I''m glad it is a good problem to have!

I''ll just tell you one thing. Aside from the value of the experience, I look at the hours involved. #2 has you in the office for 10-12 hours a day and 3 hours in the car???? So you''ll be gone from home 13-15 hours a day? Listen, you''re heading toward bigtime burnout if you do that for long.

The other job may not be as challenging, but the flexibility of doing some work at home and shorter hours at the office sounds to me to be healthier overall and healthier for a marriage, which to me, comes first over the job challenge.

Just thought I''d give you another angle to consider.

Good luck and I hope it works out for the best!

mia15

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 7:32:10 PM
Author: Gypsy

I think (without them saying it) that they want a female for the supervisory position because of the climate here .... so that may mean that they give him the other and ask me to stay here, darn it!
23.gif

Gypsy, could you explain?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
working with an attorney that you already describe as ''scary''?! are you out of your mind?! ok, i spent toooooo much time working with them.

hands down take #2 as you will learn things that will make you more employable with another firm or with a company.

movie zombie

ps my experience is that while an office with a window is nice, if i''m busy i don''t have much time to use it..........

magpye

Rough_Rock
lizzyD

love your "twig and berries"/"missybits" comment! So true!

Gypsy, lizzyD has great advice. Ultimately you have to do what you think is right for you. But if they already asked you to consider this position, you''re in the running fair and square. If you want it, go in and take it! Only YOU can make things happen.
5.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 10:40:37 PM
Author: emeraldlover

Date: 7/19/2006 7:32:10 PM
Author: Gypsy

I think (without them saying it) that they want a female for the supervisory position because of the climate here .... so that may mean that they give him the other and ask me to stay here, darn it!
23.gif

Gypsy, could you explain?

Lizzy, everyone... I told them this morning that I''d prefer #2 (yes, DS there is a bit of burn out risk. But well, it''s a good opportunity for the future), they will get back to me either this evening or tommorow. So we''ll see. Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I agree with the twigs and berries.

What I meant by comment above EL is that the two lady''s in the windowed office have a good solid relationship and are chatty and well... comfortable, there was a third person there who got promoted and they are looing for someone to take over for her. They want the same chemistry in that office as there was before. For job #2 there are no personality/ chemistry requirements as long as the person doesn''t get too involved in the politics of the office environment there. Either of the two of us (me and the guy) would work for job number 2... but I am the better fit for job number 1. So they might ask me to take that job because of that. We''ll see.

Either way, I''m still going to be looking for a ''permanent'' job-- even though these are both long term positions. And both have advantages/ disadvantages. One big plus with both is that it''s a well respected good sized firm that will look good on the resume.

I''ll update this thread when I have news.

Again, thanks all for your support. And well, you''re right that the corporate world is cut throat enough that I don''t have to do myself in! I''m sure there are plenty of others waiting in the ranks to do it for me. LOL. Really appreciate the kick in the arse! I needed it.

magpye

Rough_Rock
Good luck on finding your dream job! I hope you find it soon. I''m sort of in the same position and I know once I land it it will be such a sweet sigh of relief. But for now, I''m just like you. Trying to gain experiences that build my resume and get to where I actually DO have the pull to make stuff start happening for myself!

My FH was in the same situation about a year ago. He just wouldn''t give up trying to land his dream job. Yes, he was out of work. Yes, his parents were concerned (we are just in our mid-20s). Yes, I was concerned (I was still in school then) about our future. I was also frustrated because I knew no job meant no engagement!
38.gif
But suddenly it all paid off. He''s got his dream job. It''s stressful, he''s super busy, but he''s so happy and fulfilled too! (we are both workaholics so his hours don''t bother me). Have faith and don''t give up. Reach for the stars! You''ll get there one day.
5.gif
And yes, I did get the ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I''m not going to CA for 7 days... pared it down to 3 days for the job. Start again on Monday... still don''t know which job I''ll be doing-- they are going to try me out in both for the week then make a decision. Which is fine with me as I''m promised one of the two. They paid for my flight reservations changes and have generally have been accomodating and letting me know that they are happy to have found me. Which is nice. So we''ll see.

The best part? This is the first weekend in months I''m really going to enjoy. Going to the bridal shop late tommorow evening with a friend to try on the gown they brought in for me. Then will actually be able to sit and relax with her-- have a drink and not worry about absolutely everything all at once. Peace of mind is a GOOD THING.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results