shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have this problem with their SI ultrasonic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had mine for a couple of months and use it every day - too anal I know! The inside of the lid feels tacky - I cleaned it with some soap scum bathroom cleaner and it felt better but not completely gone. It is sticky and filmy but it''s completely emptied and refilled every week. Any idea? I use ammonia, Dawn and fill to the line with water - it''s not greasy or filmy that you can remove. It''s almost like the inside of the lid has melted a bit or something.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
how odd MGR! i haven't had that problem...i also heat up water and put it in the thing so i figure by now if it was going to melt it would have, hahaa. sometimes it crackles and snaps a bit and i'm sure it's going to explode. i use ammonia, mr clean and microwaved water in mine typically. i also rinse it after every use and don't use the same solution twice. i also typically just fill it to the first fill line, not to the 2nd.

keep us posted!! i still love my US as much as the day i bought it if not more!!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t reuse solution. I use about 5 squirts of Mr. Clean, a drop of two of dawn, and fill with hot water to either the first or second fill line (whatever). I dump it out after each cleaning and rinse. No sticky problems here.

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
It has happened to my SI ultrasonic. I think it may be hard water deposits even though I rinse it out real good after each use...
Nicole

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This September will mark 2 years I''ve had my SI ultrasonic...and nothing like that has happened to mine!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can think of is that the solution is left in and the lid left on - maybe it should be rinsed and dried after each use. I just didn''t think that was necessary. I have a water conditioning system so my water is not really hard. Guess I''ll have to rething this - wonder what the SI store would say about it? Maybe I''ll check it out the next time I''m at the mall. Wonder if they sell new lids? Probably not - but thanks everyone for your input!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 10:13:56 PM
Author:MissGotRocks
I have had mine for a couple of months and use it every day - too anal I know! The inside of the lid feels tacky - I cleaned it with some soap scum bathroom cleaner and it felt better but not completely gone. It is sticky and filmy but it''s completely emptied and refilled every week. Any idea? I use ammonia, Dawn and fill to the line with water - it''s not greasy or filmy that you can remove. It''s almost like the inside of the lid has melted a bit or something.
I am doing the exact same thing as you, and am having the same problem. I can''t get rid of it now...

How much ammonia are you using?

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
This hasn''t happened to mine. Mine is just as great as when I first bought it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have the hardest water known to man here so i don''t think that''s it..i wonder if somehow the stuff left in the machine for days is chemically melting the top of the lid or something...who knows.

i just rinse it out and let it dry because it bugs me thinking that there is dirty ammonia chemical water in the kitchen... also i''m always paranoid that something will happen and it will turn over and spill and portia will drink it while i am gone or something. better safe than sorry and then also greg doesn''t complain if it''s hanging out in the corner of the counter as long as it''s empty and dry.
5.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeek! I only change my solution every 3-4 days so I hope I''m not melting the inside of the thing! Hmmm... maybe I will change it out every day just to be safe...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just used a wire scrubber and got most of it off, although now the lid has a pretty brushed finish! I''ll see what happens if I dry out everything after each use...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 3:18:50 PM
Author: Virginia
Perhaps you should invest in an US cleaner that has a metal container and that would solve the problem! I have a Branson that I really like, but I am thinking of getting a better one that has a heater. I use mine everyday too, and I figure why not just get the best! I had my appraisal today and Martin (Fuller) said he has had his for 7 years with no issue at all so I think maybe better is the way to go! Just my two cents!
I have a heated US by Crest. I love it. Heats up super quick and is metal. Plus it''s quiet, sorta sounds like a dishwasher. Noobie loved his so I got one too. My SI I still like and take it away with me when I travel.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you should invest in an US cleaner that has a metal container and that would solve the problem! I have a Branson that I really like, but I am thinking of getting a better one that has a heater. I use mine everyday too, and I figure why not just get the best! I had my appraisal today and Martin (Fuller) said he has had his for 7 years with no issue at all so I think maybe better is the way to go! Just my two cents!
Virginia
same here. my appraiser has a heated GemOro US that looks like it has been in a war zone and it still works great so, i bought the 2 qt heated for $190.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Mine didn''t have the scum build up but it did crack and was a gonner after that. Now I just use the jewelry cleaner that I get at our local jewelry store and an aircan. Works just as well!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2006 2:35:29 PM
Author: Mara
we have the hardest water known to man here so i don''t think that''s it..i wonder if somehow the stuff left in the machine for days is chemically melting the top of the lid or something...who knows.

i just rinse it out and let it dry because it bugs me thinking that there is dirty ammonia chemical water in the kitchen... also i''m always paranoid that something will happen and it will turn over and spill and portia will drink it while i am gone or something. better safe than sorry and then also greg doesn''t complain if it''s hanging out in the corner of the counter as long as it''s empty and dry.
5.gif
That''s kind of what I''m thinking. Mine is in a cabinet with an electric plug so it''s not setting out anywhere. I just figured I''d leave the stuff in for about a week - used to do that with my jar cleaner too - but there must be a chemical thing going on. You can scrub it and kind of get the sticky feeling off but it''s not quite right. It doesn''t seem to be having an adverse effect on the jewelry though. Who''d a thought?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2006 11:39:12 AM

Date: 7/1/2006 4:34:22 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Virginia
same here. my appraiser has a heated GemOro US that looks like it has been in a war zone and it still works great so, i bought the 2 qt heated for $190.
I really want a heated one, where did you get yours?
i bought mine on e-bay.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I bet it''s the ammonia releasing some gases that is eroding the lid... esp if you leave it for the week.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2006 3:50:15 PM
Author: flopkins
I bet it''s the ammonia releasing some gases that is eroding the lid... esp if you leave it for the week.
I''m sure you''re right. I used Kaboom on the lid and the ''gunk'' all came off. The finish is a little marred but as long as it didn''t get on the diamonds it was OK. The inside of the cleaner looks fine - it has to be from being closed up. It''s just in the cabinet like the sugar bowl with the lid on it. Oh, well, live and learn. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results