shape
carat
color
clarity

100 facet round brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smiley_fries

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know much about the 100 facet RB that Peoples sells. They claim its radiance is far superior to the standard 56-57 facet, but anywhere else I go, they say mathematically, anything more than 57 is horrible for pefect light refraction. Perhaps this is becuase of some trademark peoples has, Im not sure...any insight would be much appreciated.

thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehe...

Not going to be helpful here... but had a funny thought.

Picture this:

They spend all this time and money to come up with a cut with 100 facets. Cut it market it. Then do a comparision... to a ''standard'' super ideal round. And... nothing. Waste of time. Then some advertising guru comes over and says..."BUT performance is such a subjective thing. It wouldn''t be false advertising-- per se-- to say it out performs the standard round." And it occurs to the executives that they guy is right. And heck... what are they going to say? "This was a pain in the neck to cut-- so we have to charge you more. But really, you''d be just as well off in terms of performance going with a cheaper standard facetted super-ideal?"

hehehehe.
23.gif

^

Rough_Rock
Non-standard cuts are a matter of preference, IMO. Do a search for Solasfera or Eighternity or check out http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/Solasfera/ for info on a 91 facet diamond which pegs the meters on the Brilliancescope pretty much every time. (Keep in mind that Bscope results are debateable, and these stones are cut purposely to peg the sensors on the Bscope. However, it certainly doesn't show "horrible" light return)

In my research, without having seen one, traditional 57 facet diamonds seem to have broader flashes where as 91 facet diamond, for instance, have more, smaller pin flashes. Some people prefer this, others feel the diamond is too busy looking. I don't think that having more facets means less light gets reflected. You can see from the videos on GOG's site, Eighternity and Solasferas are as sparkly as their traditional counterparts. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Keep in mind that it's a little harder to get good info on non-traditional cuts, as there's no cut grade from the major labs for non-traditional cuts. If you liked the look of the 100 facet stone, I'd look into GOG's selection if I were you.

If somebody's telling you that they have horrible light refraction, I'd tend to think it's because they don't sell them. See the videos or check them out IRL and let your eyes do the deciding.

Good luck!

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 9:33:04 PM
Author:smiley_fries
Does anyone know much about the 100 facet RB that Peoples sells. They claim its radiance is far superior to the standard 56-57 facet, but anywhere else I go, they say mathematically, anything more than 57 is horrible for pefect light refraction. Perhaps this is becuase of some trademark peoples has, Im not sure...any insight would be much appreciated.

thanks
Hi Smiley...

I do not know anything about the 100 facet diamond, but mine is an Eighternity which has 81 facets and is amazing! It scored very high in all 3 light categories on the GEMEX...If I ever figure out how to scan and post the GEMEX report I will so that you can see for yourself. IMO there is nothing that can beat an Eighternity diamond...I think any more than 81 facets is overkill.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think it''s a matter of taste. I have seen a 100 facet stone, a gabrielle stone, and a leo stone, and they were pretty.

watch out they don''t sneak in an included diamond - at helzberg, the " radiant star" is frozen spit. it would be a pretty cut if they used clean stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results