shape
carat
color
clarity

...more Wine.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2006 9:36:50 PM
Author: GemKlctr

I asked my brother, who has an extensive (4000 bottle) wine collection, and he says any Grange vintage from 95-99 is very good, with 98 the best of that group. 86 and 90 are 'superb,' with 90 named as the wine of the year by Wine Spectator. I've only tried the 87, which I thought was excellent (at $300 in a restaurant). Enjoy.
HI:

Why do I find myself so often in the liquor store??? Anyway, while there I did see a Grange, Vintage, 1999--the label on the sales tag said '98, but the bottle was defintely marked l999...finding it hard to part with $350 (Can) + tax for a bottle of wine...will have to think on that one.....

But I did manage to squeak enough $ out to buy the Cuvee du Cent Cinquantenaire Grand Marnier...cognac's up to 50 yrs of age used in this orange elixir, hand painted bottle.....mmmmm

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
It''s a shame it''s not the ''98; then you would have to go for it.
2.gif
Maybe they will give you a break on the price since it''s the ''99?

Haven''t tried the aged Grand Marnier, but I''m a big fan of the regular. I just bought another bottle as the last one disappeared into a pitcher of Cadillac margaritas.

Love your martini glass signature! Make mine a very dry Bombay Sapphire dirty martini with 3 olives.
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 8:39:15 AM
2.gif

Haven''t tried the aged Grand Marnier, but I''m a big fan of the regular. I just bought another bottle as the last one disappeared into a pitcher of Cadillac margaritas.

Love your martini glass signature! Make mine a very dry Bombay Sapphire dirty martini with 3 olives.
3.gif
HI:

Actually I did try that line on the vendor for a discount, but he looked at me with incredulity.....guess not many amusements to be had in the wine selling industry????
2.gif

As for the GM--nothing like it to perk up a margarita--enjoyed the same this w/e also, but used the regualr stuff...
3.gif
! As an aside, my husband got caught in a thunderstorm while on the golf course this w/e, and by the time he got home he was rather cold and wet...I have him a shot of the aged GM and he admired the finish it was so smooth and lasting and not as sweet as the regular...it really is worth it for sipping. mmmmmmmmm

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
The Cinquantenaire sounds like something I will definitely have to try. I''m partial to XO cognacs for similar reasons; they are smoother and have a more refined taste and better finish.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 8:39:15 AM
2.gif
HI:

Apparently not a bottle of ''98 Grange in "my" universe; but can have the ''99 (even found it for 30 quid less elsewhere....LOL). Worth it??

Checked on the Phelps, Insignia, in one shop, a 2001. Is this a drinker? (remember I am not a cellerarer, but a drinker....)

La Spinetta--out of stock in one place, will check around. Same place had no record of carrying Beaux Freres P. Noir at all. Same story with the Vaider--Boutique wines and not widely available in Canada?? (kind of like the cheese shoppe sketch in Monty Python......) Will contine to check about.

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 9:39:56 AM
I''m also a big fan of icewine from the Niagara region, which is where I grew up, but haven''t tried the sparkling version yet. For port, I prefer tawneys at 20-40 years old, but am storing several vintage ports given to me by my partner who collects them.

Finally, I don''t think you can go wrong with Insignia. In fact, it''s in a recent print from Thomas Arvid (a noted wine artist) along with a Viader! I''ll have to try the Viader, and if I like it as much as noobie I''ll get the print as well (I collect Arvids).

Which part of Niagara did you grow up in? I still have 1994 and 1996 Chateau de Charmes and Henry of Pelham Icewine in my cellar plus a few reds from Lakeview and Marynissen.

The Arvid print is neat. I have all the stuff for the shot, although I have many screwpull corkscrews. I stopped buying Viader after 1995 due to what I consider insane price increases. I paid $39 for the 1994. I believe it''s running around $100. Both of the Viader and Insignia are really not for the average drinker or everyday for most people. They are far too pricey. In fact I think wine has gotten more crazy than diamonds. I was looking at buying 2005 Bordeaux futures and just gasped at the prices(both 2005 and 2003)

Sharon, there are a few La Spinettas. I can''t remember which one I had. It was at the Globe Restaurant on St Laurent in Montreal.

I think a better challenge for us is to find "best bottles" under $20.

gemklctr: XO, port and red wine. We would have quite a party.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
We''re still drinking wine...
3.gif
3.gif

We''ve been spending some time in the central coast and Santa Barbara Country wine region lately. There are lots of great small Artisan-type wines from there that we''ve been enjoying.

We just bought a couple of J. Kerr Reserve Chardonnay''s -- a 2000 of all things. It is a rich buttery chard that is just now ready to drink, which is very odd. Many 2000''s would be starting to turn by now. We also has a Martinelli Chardonney - 3 sisters that was one of the best I''ve had. Very much like a fine white burgandy.

We haven''t found a wine from the Bien Nacido Vineyards that we don''t like yet. Summerland makes a great Bien Naciedo vineyards pinot noir as do a couple of others.

We also had some great wines from the Walla Walla region in Washington. That region is just starting to get broader exposure, and the prices are going up. We recently had syrah''s from K Vitners and Cayuse. I particularly like the Cayuse, which I guess is pretty tough to find since the production is small, but if you can find it, it is a treat.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon:

Thanks so much again for coming to meet me at the Westin in Calgary and for the wonderful treat of chocolate covered pretzels and wine. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you.....you are such a sweetie!!!!

Here is a pic of us together.

Sharon&HeatherinCalgary.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
You two look great!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, how cute are you two?? Chocolate covered pretzels and fine wine, sounds yummy. Glad you had a fun visit with each other. Thanks for sharing the pic with us Heather!!!!
1.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sevens and kaleigh!!! It was such fun to get together with a fellow PS'er. Sharon is a beautiful lady!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Just one more pic of DH and I enjoying lunch at an Okanagon winery (NK'Mip).......heaven!!!!
2.gif

imbibing.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Heather!!!!! Good to hear from you!! Thanks for posting this pic--apropos place!!

In meeting you the pleasure was all mine--the time went so quickly and you were tired from travelling, but were so gracious to keep my company. Yes, it was fun to meet another PS'er (and that I was not a scary "man"!!)

Where was this picture taken in the OK--looks great and the weather too......love your new avitar too....hope your holiday was great!!

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your pictures! How nice to meet another pricescoper. Your get together sounds lovely and the setting is just gorgeous!!! My husband and I love visiting wineries.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2006 11:47:21 AM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for sharing your pictures! How nice to meet another pricescoper. Your get together sounds lovely and the setting is just gorgeous!!! My husband and I love visiting wineries.
HI:

Agreed. We had a blast last year in the same area Heather was recently, great scenary, weather and of course....wine!! Maybe from now on I should only plan wine vacations to: Cali''s Napa Valley, Oregon Coast, Niagara region, Australia, Chilie, South Africa, France, Italy, Germany.....gosh, so much wine and so little time!!!

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 11:16:45 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Heather!!!!! Good to hear from you!! Thanks for posting this pic--apropos place!!

In meeting you the pleasure was all mine--the time went so quickly and you were tired from travelling, but were so gracious to keep my company. Yes, it was fun to meet another PS'er (and that I was not a scary 'man'!!)

Where was this picture taken in the OK--looks great and the weather too......love your new avitar too....hope your holiday was great!!

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif
Thanks Sharon! The pic was taken at NK'Mip in Osoyoos. It was a perfect afternoon and we really loved it there. We had the most incredible view from our hotel room. I will attach a picture of it.

Yes, thank goodness you were not a scary man - hee hee! My DH and especially my son were a little concerned about me meeting up with someone from the internet. My son of course, has been warned countless times by myself to be very wary of talking to strangers on the net so I couldn't very well ignore his concerns and so I promptly called up to the room after Sharon arrived, to let them know I was okay! lol

hotelroomview.JPG

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 11:47:21 AM
Author: Sundial
It was my pleasure to share the pictures Sundial and thanks for your kind words. It was so much fun and because my sisters came to get my son a day earlier, my DH and I had a wonderful couple of days together on our own.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great view Heather!!! We adored the Nk''Mip vineyard--the restaurant produced a few great meals for us!!!! We also buy their Merlot all the time--it is a great buy and drink here in Alberta for about 13 bucks, and cheaper than you can buy it in BC where it is produced......maybe you can find it out East.....

Which other vineyards did you visit? Bring anything home?? BTW, did I ever tell you we saw on scorpion at the Nk''Mip golf course???

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 1:24:44 PM
HI:

Great view Heather!!! We adored the Nk'Mip vineyard--the restaurant produced a few great meals for us!!!! We also buy their Merlot all the time--it is a great buy and drink here in Alberta for about 13 bucks, and cheaper than you can buy it in BC where it is produced......maybe you can find it out East.....

Which other vineyards did you visit? Bring anything home?? BTW, did I ever tell you we saw on scorpion at the Nk'Mip golf course???

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif
We had the merlot there as well - yummy!

We only brought three bottles home because we decided it would be easier to order on-line instead of taking the bottles on the plane with us. We purchased a 2003 Syrah from Mt. Boucherie, a 2004 Pinot Nior from Burrowing Owl & a 2004 Old Vines Toch from Quail's Gate Winery and had a lovely lunch there as well.

Thank goodness I didn't see any scorpions although it would have been cool to see, but not feel, one in person.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool! I have to explore more forums here...wine is great to talk about!

FI is Aussie, so that is what we mostly drink (even though I live in California...sacrilege!) We really like Rockford''s winery (although it''s near impossible to find here in the states...his mom needs to import it when she comes over).

We''ve also been drinking a lot of sauv blanc from New Zealand...lovely summer drinking.

What is harder to find here, which I also enjoy in the summer is sparkling red (usually a shiraz). So yummy!!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 8:37:41 PM
Author: noobie

Date: 6/14/2006 9:39:56 AM
I''m also a big fan of icewine from the Niagara region, which is where I grew up, but haven''t tried the sparkling version yet. For port, I prefer tawneys at 20-40 years old, but am storing several vintage ports given to me by my partner who collects them.

Finally, I don''t think you can go wrong with Insignia. In fact, it''s in a recent print from Thomas Arvid (a noted wine artist) along with a Viader! I''ll have to try the Viader, and if I like it as much as noobie I''ll get the print as well (I collect Arvids).

Which part of Niagara did you grow up in? I still have 1994 and 1996 Chateau de Charmes and Henry of Pelham Icewine in my cellar plus a few reds from Lakeview and Marynissen.

The Arvid print is neat. I have all the stuff for the shot, although I have many screwpull corkscrews. I stopped buying Viader after 1995 due to what I consider insane price increases. I paid $39 for the 1994. I believe it''s running around $100. Both of the Viader and Insignia are really not for the average drinker or everyday for most people. They are far too pricey. In fact I think wine has gotten more crazy than diamonds. I was looking at buying 2005 Bordeaux futures and just gasped at the prices(both 2005 and 2003)

Sharon, there are a few La Spinettas. I can''t remember which one I had. It was at the Globe Restaurant on St Laurent in Montreal.

I think a better challenge for us is to find ''best bottles'' under $20.

gemklctr: XO, port and red wine. We would have quite a party.
Sorry for the late response; I''ve been fishing in Northern Saskatchewan. I grew up on the American side in Niagara Falls and Lewiston. But, I left to go to college before the region was "discovered," and don''t get back too often anymore.

You''re right about wine prices. I used to try to find the best drinkable bottles under $10, but now I look for the under-twenties as well. Glad you liked the Arvid; I''m thinking about adding that one to my collection and I''m on the list for an original (been waiting 2 years now).

Let me know what time the party starts.
2.gif
That''s one I don''t want to miss.
3.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Great photos BTY. Good to see you Sharon and Heather. We''ve had a blast at the PS get togethers here in the DC area, so it''s nice to see others sharing a similar positive experience notwithstanding the dangers of the Intenet.

Apparently not a bottle of ''98 Grange in "my" universe; but can have the ''99 (even found it for 30 quid less elsewhere....LOL). Worth it??
Checked on the Phelps, Insignia, in one shop, a 2001. Is this a drinker? (remember I am not a cellerarer, but a drinker....)

Sharon, the Grange was worth it for me just to have the experience of tasting one even if it''s tough to justify objectively. The 2001 Insignia will be a little young, but should be very drinkable now even if it will be better later. The 2000 is good too. Happy drinking.
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2006 3:04:14 PM

Date: 6/21/2006 8:37:41 PM
Author: noobie

Sorry for the late response; I've been fishing in Northern Saskatchewan. I grew up on the American side in Niagara Falls and Lewiston. But, I left to go to college before the region was 'discovered,' and don't get back too often anymore.
HI:

What did you catch? My Dad was a avid fisherman--and dragged me along since he had no boys...in the winter while ice-fishing I'd scare all the fish away b/c I "talked" too much....needless to say I never aquired his skill, but have great memories.....so what "goes" well with the catch of the day??

Latest bottles:

Coppola, Blue Label, Merlot. 2003. Very smooth, robust and yummy.
Seghesio, Sonoma, Zinfandel. 2004. Excellent. Almost "melted" in my mouth. Wonderful finish.
Chateau de La Riviere, Fronsac. 2000. Interesting. Peaty.
--sorry bottle for the wild ferment Chiliean Chard is gone. My husband liked it better than I, but then again, I am not big on Chards. Better than most tho, and would buy again.

Sorry, none of these were under the 20 $$ mark; rather $25-40 Can., with the boutique Zin clocking in at almost $40. But it was a delight and we really enjoyed it.

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
What did you catch? My Dad was a avid fisherman--and dragged me along since he had no boys...in the winter while ice-fishing I''d scare all the fish away b/c I "talked" too much....needless to say I never aquired his skill, but have great memories.....so what "goes" well with the catch of the day??

Lake trout and pike. Nothing notable about the pike (my biggest was 34 inches), but I caught 3 large lakers; the largest was 49 inches long, 25 inches in girth, and over 50 pounds. I''m told that''s a very rare fish and the largest trout caught at the lodge (Tazin Lake) so far this year. It took almost a half hour to bring it in.

Up there, the wine pickings were slim and the catch of the day was devoured at "shore lunch" cooked up by our guide and accompanied by bottled water.

BTW, my guide is an avid ice fisherman and has won several tournaments. I''ve never tried it, but it sounds like fun. They even have new underwater cameras so you can spot the fish below the ice!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2006 11:14:06 AM
Lake trout and pike. Nothing notable about the pike (my biggest was 34 inches), but I caught 3 large lakers; the largest was 49 inches long, 25 inches in girth, and over 50 pounds. I''m told that''s a very rare fish and the largest trout caught at the lodge (Tazin Lake) so far this year. It took almost a half hour to bring it in.

It sounds like fun. They even have new underwater cameras so you can spot the fish below the ice!
HI:

A fish story perhaps???
2.gif
Just kidding of course--are not those pike ugly?? Yikes. Good job tho...

Actually ice fishing can be kinda fun, especially if you have some 50 year old GM to warm your insides
3.gif
....but nix the cameras--but for the guessing what on earth else excitement could there be??

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you like a good Chardonnay... (I know -- most people favor reds, but we like both)... but here is one to keep your eyes out for.

We had a ''02 Brewer-Clifton, Melville vineard today, that was wonderful. Full bodied and perfectly balanced. They are a boutique winery from the CA central coast, and produce in small quantities, so may be tough to find, especially in Canada, (this is the first one we have found at a restaurant), but all of their pinots and chards get 93 - 96 points from Robert Parker. It looks as if their high retail is $35 - $40, so not in the under $20 range, but well worth trying if you get the chance. (I had thought they would be less -- we paid $65ish at a restaurant, so that restaurant is a keeper -- great wine list without the 3x markup! ) DH just signed up for their mailing list, so maybe we can find some in the next release in Sept.

Another Chardonnay we''ve enjoyed lately is the La Crema Russion River. It is probably about a $20 wine, but isn''t distributed in the volume that the Sonoma version is. I think the Sonoma version is pretty average, but the Russion River is really nice.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
OK, some more reasonable priced wines this weekend. A NZ sauvignon that I probably kept too long, a Beringer 1997 Knights Valley Cab and a 2002 Conundrum. The Beringer was OK, I've been spoiled recently. Conundrum was a nice summer white.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
I just acquired 3 bottles of 2000 Grange. It''s a terrible vintage for Australia and production was only 25% of normal, but the rarity has kept prices high. I got it for half price on a close out so it should be a reasonable value. It''s one of the few vintages that is 100% shiraz and should be drinking fine now. I''ve also got a line on a 1997 at a similar price which I would like to get to compare.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 11:43:04 AM

Date: 6/29/2006 11:14:06 AM
Lake trout and pike. Nothing notable about the pike (my biggest was 34 inches), but I caught 3 large lakers; the largest was 49 inches long, 25 inches in girth, and over 50 pounds. I'm told that's a very rare fish and the largest trout caught at the lodge (Tazin Lake) so far this year. It took almost a half hour to bring it in.

It sounds like fun. They even have new underwater cameras so you can spot the fish below the ice!
HI:

A fish story perhaps???
2.gif
Just kidding of course--are not those pike ugly?? Yikes. Good job tho...

Actually ice fishing can be kinda fun, especially if you have some 50 year old GM to warm your insides
3.gif
....but nix the cameras--but for the guessing what on earth else excitement could there be??

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif
Here is the "fish story" worth a thousand words.
2.gif

ETA: Apparently, the Adobe file doesn't display; you need to download it from the file reference below.

Attachments

• 49Adobe.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 34

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2006 10:08:11 AM
I just acquired 3 bottles of 2000 Grange. It''s a terrible vintage for Australia and production was only 25% of normal, but the rarity has kept prices high. I got it for half price on a close out so it should be a reasonable value. It''s one of the few vintages that is 100% shiraz and should be drinking fine now. I''ve also got a line on a 1997 at a similar price which I would like to get to compare.
HI:

Is there some sort of generalization floating around out there that the even years "tend" to be the "best" vintages---trying to remember where I heard that ditty from......anyway enjoy the same!

We were just in Hawaii and I saw tons of Insignia for sale in the ubiquitous ABC stores---but we drank only the cheap stuff and it didn''t "bother" me a bit!
3.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results