shape
carat
color
clarity

Daniel K Union Square Custom - Has Anyone Actually Done This???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Hi. I usually hang out in the Colored Stones forum -- this is my first post outside the compound. My girlfriend wants a green e-ring center stone and I have acquired a cushion cut 2.48 ct Chrome Tourmaline concave cut by Richard Homer. I was making good progress for a while, but then I stalled out on finding a setting to put it in. Recently, I have come across the Daniel K Union Square setting which is exactly what she wants. For those of you who aren''t familiar with it, it''s attached below. It is unqualifiedly stunning and exactly what she''s always talking about. So since it''s common knowledge that Daniel K doesn''t sell the setting without the stone, everyone recommends getting it custom made. My question is, has anyone actually done this and how did it turn out. One has to imagine that with a blanket policy like that, there must be lots of people clamoring for custom-made replicas and I just want to go through someone who''s done it before.

I live in New York and I''ve already met with Leon Mege but he didn''t seem to be extra-familiar with the setting. Anyone else people recommend? Has anyone gotten Daniel K designs made through Whiteflash? If anyone has advice, please let me know. Also, it looks like Michael C Fina and Jacob the Jeweler are the only places to carry Daniel K settings, and Fina doesn''t carry the Union Square. If anyone knows of anywhere else, I''d love to know.

Copy (2) of danielk.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
My gosh....the ring is going to be FABULOUS!! I''ve been neglecting the colored stone forum, lately....have you posted the RH cut tourmaline over there? I''m going now to look!
3.gif

I''m sure others could be more help than I, but it seems to me it shouldn''t be too hard to find someone who could pretty closely replicate that mounting.

I''ve heard really good things about Quest, and there''s a new name that''s recently appeared around here: Maytal. She sure did a superb job for qqq. (check out his thread called ''The Royal Setting''.)

Of course, Mark Morrell is always worth waiting for..

HTH
widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest!!! They did an asscher RHR for me that was inspired by Daniel K. They did an amazing job. I highly recommend them!!!
1.gif

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Here''s what the tourmaline looks like. I don''t know what any of those names mean so I will look into them. Thanks for the help!

Bigger Chrome.jpg

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Thanks Widget. I''ve just emailed Maytal - that ring was amazing, you''re right. And just the sort of really delicate worksmanship that I think this ring requires. So is the move to say "Hey, can you copy this designer ring?" Or do you just work with them to get something that looks *like* the union square setting but isn''t exactly like it. I''d imagine that they''d be reluctant to copy something from whole cloth for fear of violating intellectual property laws. Kaleigh, when you say your ring was "inspired" by a Daniel K design, how different did it end up looking from the real thing? And do you have any advice for going through Quest to get a Daniel K ring? You can email me at [email protected] if you''d like.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pokey, the ring is going to be stunning, absolutely stunning, so stunning i can''t find the words to express how stunning!

movie zombie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have to alter the design by 20% for it to be legal. I added diamonds on the underwires, and that was my 20% difference. You can see my ring by doing a search for the thread titled, Look Nan has her hand on my asscher. Lisa
1.gif

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I just read the whole asscher-pun series. The ring is unquestionably exquisite, but it sounds like Quest wasn''t exactly smooth sailing all the way. Still, that ring does look incredible and it definitely has a delicate look about it. 20% huh....I guess I could add diamonds on the sides rather than how they''re now just on the top of the shanks. Does anyone have any thoughts about using Leon Mege instead? He has the distinct advantage of being a five minute walk from my office. Quest is looking like the team to beat though.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d make an appointment to go see Leon. Talk to him and see what his ideas are. Then call Quest. Leon takes 4-6 weeks and Quest is closer to 4 weeks. Good luck!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest is great but if Leon''s in your backyard, I''d use Leon. His skill with pave is top notch and will be closer to the Daniel K I think. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to copy a detailed designer setting and there will probably be minor differences no matter who makes it from the original.

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Check out this thread - he got a similar ring custom made by Good Old Gold. Throw some pave on that thing and it would look very similar to the Daniel K ring.

I think you''re right about Leon. I called him just as he was walking out the door today, I''ll try and stop by his office this week. Although his stuff is breathtaking, no doubt about it, I''m just not sure that his antiquey, Edwardian style really matches with this ring.

And I understand that it''s not going to be exactly the same as the Daniel K, but at least it''s an aspirational goal which is more than I had yesterday.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pokey.

The Daniel K Union Square was my first love, so I''ve researched it and Daniel K extensively.

If you''re still interested in a custom version, contact Whiteflash. I contacted them about doing a custom setting similar to a different Daniel K and they seemed very capable and reasonable in price.

Also, I think in some cases you may be able to get the Daniel K setting without having purchased the center stone from him. Even though he officially doesn''t sell his settings seperately anymore, you may find some jewelers who sell his line who can arrange for this -- I found 1 in California last year and 1 on the east coast, but I don''t have their info offhand. But it doesn''t hurt to ask. I asked in terms of getting an heirloom diamond already in my possession set in the Union Square setting, and was told it could be done, and I was quoted almost $11,000 (yes, thats just for the setting).

But I would think that in circumstances when you already have a non-diamond center stone, that''s very unique like yours, Daniel K and/or a jeweler that has a relationship with him may be willing to work with you and sell you the setting by itself.

And as to the rule that a piece has to be 20% different than a previously made ring design, I don''t beleive this is the case (I''m a lawyer with copyright experience). The question in copyright infringement is "substantial similarity," which doesn''t have a specific definition. The amout of differences doesn''t have to equal a certain percentage, but infringement vs. noninfringement is judged on a case by case basis. I wouldn''t be surprised if a "rule of thumb" among jewelers in terms of copying/imitating a design is to make it at least 20% different than the first design, but legally, there isn''t such a rule.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shortcut?

There is allot more details and hand shots where these come from.

For an oval, the less severe lines of the first setting seem more appealing, although I would think that the second is a closer relative to your initial choice. Perhaps some degree of custom treatment could be applied to either (e.g. setting diamonds in the basket of the second ring etc.). Worth asking, IMO.

With quite a few split shank pave settings around, there should be a range of choices readily available.

This one is a ring by Gumuchian, at Pearlmans'':

25J13.jpg
There are a few more related designs in the same collection, some already on display with oval center stones and all priced w/o center.

Then... the last one below seems to have taken substantially more work than the DK model...Not sure how many places would handle such detailed hand made pave. And custom work... means detail can always change without question.

Nothing wrong with donating 5-6k or so the the publicity campaign for the ''Daniel K.'' diamond brand, of course.
38.gif
At least as long as the guys keep it going, a few more folks will know exactly how much the ring cost... and after, it would still be an exquisite piece in its own right regardless of hype.
5.gif

AOP.JPG

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 9:54:44 PM
Author: Pokey
Check out this thread - he got a similar ring custom made by Good Old Gold. Throw some pave on that thing and it would look very similar to the Daniel K ring.

I think you''re right about Leon. I called him just as he was walking out the door today, I''ll try and stop by his office this week. Although his stuff is breathtaking, no doubt about it, I''m just not sure that his antiquey, Edwardian style really matches with this ring.

And I understand that it''s not going to be exactly the same as the Daniel K, but at least it''s an aspirational goal which is more than I had yesterday.
Hey Pokey - that is my friend''s ring...It was custom made by GOG & it was inspired by the Daniel K you posted above. It''s very beautiful & she loves her ring! The pave from the prongs & basket were removed intentionally, but I think for something like that you''d want to contact a designer who is an expert with pave (like Leon) or a person who has a good policy on replacing inevitably lost stones (like Quest).

If you''d like some more specifics on my friend''s ring - let me know. She posts on here very infrequently, but I can get her attention
9.gif
. Good luck in your search - the stone is BEAUTIFUL!

Hi Pokey-

I''m the friend :). That''s my super sparkler! I just read through really quick, but GOG did a really great job on my ring. I loved the Daniel K but I thought the pave on the sides (and the price) was a little much for my taste so they made it just what I wanted. Just sparkly enough! Let me know if you have any specific questions. I will tell you it was A LOT less than that $11,000 for just the setting that someone else said. Gotta go for now!

-Erin

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 8:07:26 PM
Here''s what the tourmaline looks like. I don''t know what any of those names mean so I will look into them. Thanks for the help!
Wow, love the green stone, it is going to look beautiful in any ring... I love green rings....
35.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I think Leon Mege would be my #1 choice for that setting - especially since you are in NYC!
Just because he isn't familiar with Daniel K. rings doesn't mean he wouldn't do an EXCELLENT job. (He's a very busy man, he really doesn't have the time to follow other jewelers designs.)

Just show him some photographs of what you'd like - he'll be able to reproduce it.
I think he's the only one who could do that basket and those prongs justice.
His work is extraordinary - equal or better than Daniel K quality. (But much less expensive.)
Go see the Daniel K setting in person and you'll see what I mean.
Leon's bead work for the pave is absolutely precise and minute.

Scintillating...

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Just got back from Jacob the Jeweler''s -- the woman there said that they could absolutely get Daniel K to make me the setting around a center stone if I give them the measurements of the stone, they are happy to do it. Clearly, one saleswoman''s opinion doesn''t constitute Daniel K policy, but assuming for the moment that she''s right, now I have to decide between spending "around ten grand" for a Daniel K setting or getting someone like Leon or Maytal or Whiteflash or Quest to custom-design a replica for me. The advantage of the latter plan is that it would cost significantly less, but the disadvantage is that one has to put a lot of faith in a designer''s ability to do similar level work. Plus, as has been pointed out, it never looks exactly the same. And let me tell you, in person that ring looks spectacular.

Sure, I''d be paying $11,000 for a setting, which does seem a little absurd, but my girlfriend did me a huge financial favor by not wanting a diamond. Plus, c''mon, who doesn''t want to have a ring from the same store as Biggie Smalls.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 3:22:48 PM
Sure, I''d be paying $11,000 for a setting, which does seem a little absurd.

yes, yes it does.
I suggest you go back and have another meeting with Leon Mege, show him the pics, look at his portfolio, ask to see something he''s working on, etc... See if that makes you feel better.

Scintillating...

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
This one from dimendscaasi.com is significantly less than $11,000.

ds 2400.jpg

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Who is biggie smalls?

Personally, I''d rather have a unique, custom designed ering based heavily on one of my favorite settings than an $11k setting that will be exactly like someone else''s. But that''s just me. (And then I''d rather take the couple of thousands of dollars left over and spend it on something else!)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
with pave rings, I would recommed using a jeweler that handmakes them rather than casting. I have done a fair amount of research and even asked why in a thread. You can read about it here if you''re interested. cast rings will be cheaper but can have porosity issues and having a bunch of holes in the metal for the stones doesn''t help it''s stuctual integrity. Just my 02.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2006 10:58:43 PM
Author: mrssalvo
with pave rings, I would recommed using a jeweler that handmakes them rather than casting. I have done a fair amount of research and even asked why in a thread. You can read about it here if you''re interested. cast rings will be cheaper but can have porosity issues and having a bunch of holes in the metal for the stones doesn''t help it''s stuctual integrity. Just my 02.

Really good advice Mrs. S!!!

Scintillating...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
POkey.. apparently I missed this thread.. wow... I am excited to see what you end up getting together.. WOW>...

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
1. I saw the first picture of the DK on this thread.

2. I imagined it with a chrome tourmaline in it.

3. My eyeballs fell out of my head at just the thought of it.

30.gif
23.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results