shape
carat
color
clarity

ACK! Broken ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I put on my engagement ring this morning and within thirty seconds I looked at it again only to find a prong had snapped and one of my smaller sidestones was gone! I was so shocked I started crying. All of the stones seemed secure every time I put it on, but this little diamond has only three prongs and the outer one is now snapped. FI and I were able to find the diamond, but now I will have to see about trying to get my ring fixed on a long holiday weekend. Grrrr.... I am so heartsick over this.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! I''m really sorry to hear that! Perhaps you find a jeweler or go to yours while it''s still early? The main thing is that you found the stone. That is sad news
7.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh blast - as if you haven''t had enough to put up with recently
15.gif
I am sure it can be fixed, good luck on finding a jeweller, hugs to you!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 9:44:11 AM
Author: Lorelei
Oh blast - as if you haven''t had enough to put up with recently
15.gif
I am sure it can be fixed, good luck on finding a jeweller, hugs to you!
You aren''t kidding Lorelei - we were told this week that my uncle''s cancer is back and in his lungs.
15.gif
My grandmother''s tests came back okay, though, so her back pain is not related to anything malignant.

I don''t have any of the paperwork here, it''s all at FI''s house. Our jeweler who provided the setting is closed until Tuesday. I think I have to go ringless until then to avoid incurring costs on resetting this stone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Equestrienne, you poor thing! Let us know how everything goes and here''s a big hug (sounds like you could use one today). I hope you have a chance to enjoy at least some of the long holiday weekend.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Equestrienne, I''m so sorry! I wish that I could just give you a big hug.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear....all of this, Equestrienne. Big, big hugs to you. I''m sure you want nothing more than to wear your ring but you''re doing the right thing by not risking it any more at this point. So devastatingly sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope they can aggressively tackle this.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! I am so sorry Equestrienne!!! Guess better to play it safe and get it fixed after the holiday. Boy have you been through the ringer. I am sorry to hear about your uncle. I will keep him in my prayers as well as you and your family. I have been through a recent loss as well. I hope your Uncle makes a full recovery. In the meant time, you have my biggest hugs and I will be thinking of you. Lisa

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone. I have the stone secured inside an envelope and I will be taking it and the ring to the jeweler's on Tuesday after school concludes for the day. I fear that the whole setting will need to be redone since it is a sidestone prong that needs replacing and those are not separate from the rest of the setting. This may be a job that takes a week or two at least, then. *sigh* I feel awful about my ring. It's the one thing I have dreamed about for so long and the one wedding-related thing that I am personally responsible for taking care of and keeping nice... and I broke it. Ugh.

This has been, hands down, the most emotionally and physically draining year I have ever had. First year teaching has been as stressful as expected though I feel that it has gone well. However, first year teaching combined with everything else that has gone on outside of school? Well, then, life is just insane. I hope that once school ends on the 13th that I will finally be able to manage my personal life. I am tired of having something really happy/positive/great happen, and then getting socked in the gut the next moment.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Equestrienne I so feel for you
15.gif
Things will get better, hang in there. I don''t know why all these bad things have to happen when we have just about had all we can take anyway. I do know how you feel about having something great happen and then being kicked in the gut with something bad the next moment. Sending you hugs
emrose.gif
we are all here for you. Praying for a full recovery for Uncle.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so sorry your ring broke!! I''m very sorry to hear about your grandfather''s cancer...
7.gif
Your family will be in my prayers. Take care, and I hope your ring gets fixed soon!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to update. Today, FI is going to take the ring and the loose stone to the jeweler after his bar review is done. Hopefully we can have them remake a similar setting and have a ring that looks like the original. The original setting was a semi mount, with prong set sidestones on the band around the center. I''m thinking that it may be possible to make it a full mount and channel set the sidestones, or to keep more of the original look, to add prongs to the sidestones to keep them more secure. There were only three on the smallest diamonds before. I will post again later with our decision.

I took pictures of it the night before it broke. FI doesn''t understand why I need so many pictures of it. Silly boy.
DSC02557.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Somehow I missed this thread. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles and the problem with your beautiful ring! I hope that your jeweler will be able to resolve things so you at least have one less thing to worry about.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler has the ring now. When FI took it in this afternoon, he said that they are going to try to rework the prong instead of doing a whole new setting. I am not sure how this is going to work or look, but this was the only option that was given at this time. Hoping that it looks okay when we pick it up in a week...

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Equ! I''m sorry. I''m glad you were able to find your stone, and I hope it turns out SUPER secure, and just like the way it was before. Or close enough, anyway.

I''ve been hoping you''d reappear at the LIW, because I was wondering what you decided for your horse braid bracelet.

I miss you and Blenhiem. Haha. Silly, but true!

I''m sure all will come out okiay with your ring. It''s so pretty! And once the stones are more secure, it''ll be even better!

Hope engaged life is still just fabulous! *I''m sure it is!!*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 10:00:54 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
Is it better yet??

Sorry I just had to smile at this. We think of our jewelery as more than possessions don''t we? It''s like a sick child. So true.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results