shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is more classic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
A halo of diamonds around a center stone or accent diamonds on the sides?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tricky question!

to answer this, we must know the defintion of classic

classic: a work of enduring excellence and esp. of ancient Greece or Rome

ok, we don''t really wear Greek or Roman inspired jewelry.

moving on...

Classicism: the period from 1730 to 1820, a general change in the direction of music, art, architecture marked by cleaner style, and simplicity over complexity. Any musician will know that Classical music is a sort of reaction against the excesses of the Baroque period.

So, which one is more Classic (with a capital C?)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 9:22:57 PM
Author:innerkitten
A halo of diamonds around a center stone or accent diamonds on the sides?

Is this for an engagement ring? If so, not the halo. though I love them, and do not necessarily believe they are so trendy as to become passe, I just think a center stone with side diamonds is something you would never tire of. I love halo''s for a right hand ring...

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
classic: The center stone with side diamonds has been around forever.

current: We started seeing a lot of halos in just the last year or two.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I vote 'accents on the sides'. They've been doing it forever.

I'm betting that 75-100 years from now, halo rings will be referred to as "Turn of the (21st) Century" style....

widget

ETA: dbgaap: We think alike! LOL...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a center stone with side diamonds is a timeless, classic look. The halo is a pretty alternative but I wouldn''t consider it classic.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, the definition of classic is what I saw in the Tiffany's case last Saturday. They do have a couple of halos, as in Legacy, but most were the solitaires and center stone with side diamonds.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely think side stones are a more classic look. I do love halo''s and have a RHR halo asscher ring.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
The accent diamonds on the sides is a more classic look than the halo.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
center with side diamonds... but I wouldn''t turn down a halo either!! :) haha

I just think it is more timeless.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I think that accent diamonds on the side is more classic...
2.gif

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Definately a diamond with side stones. Even today, when we see an EC flanked by baguettes, it''s just so "classic". Although, I do LOVE halos
25.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 9:34:35 PM
Author: JulieN
tricky question!

to answer this, we must know the defintion of classic

classic: a work of enduring excellence and esp. of ancient Greece or Rome

ok, we don''t really wear Greek or Roman inspired jewelry.

moving on...

Classicism: the period from 1730 to 1820, a general change in the direction of music, art, architecture marked by cleaner style, and simplicity over complexity. Any musician will know that Classical music is a sort of reaction against the excesses of the Baroque period.

So, which one is more Classic (with a capital C?)
some of us do!!!!!
face6.gif

movie zombie

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Innerkitten -- hands-down, center stone with sidestones.
9.gif
Halo''ed diamonds are definitely not a "new" trend as they''ve been around for at least a hundred years, but they are becoming "trendy" in the modern sense as they''re experiencing a revival and wave of popularity right now. Sidestones, on the other hand, have *consistently* been around forever and have not fallen in and out of fashion, as halo''ed rings seem to have. Just my perception, though!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 11:42:07 PM
Author: Snooper
Definately a diamond with side stones. Even today, when we see an EC flanked by baguettes, it''s just so ''classic''. Although, I do LOVE halos
25.gif

I agree (tee hee since my ring is set that way!) and I do love the look of some of the delicate halo''s, esp with colored stones...but it really seems the overall concensus is the stone with side stones look....always timeless...but that is why it is nice that we can reset a stone as often as our heart desires or our taste dictates!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing to consider is the size of your stone. Bigger stones don''t really need halos.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Well... actually if you are thinking real ''classic'' we could go back further and say that a gemstone e-ring is more ''classic'' than a diamond with side stones. Gemstone e-ring were around way before the diamond gained any popularity as an e-ring.

BUt if you are thinking diamond, I would say the 3 stone and then the halo. I love the halo because it is modern, but I love my gemstone cause it is ''classic.''

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the group. Definitely seems more classic to have center with sidestones. I do love some of the halo rings, and as some said, particularly with colored stones. Plus, I do love how a halo can make a smaller diamond look bigger. I've seen some girls with <.75ct solitaires convert to halos, and it made a dramatic difference for the better. But for larger diamonds, I agree with Madam Bijoux; I usually prefer no halo. Some day I wouldn't mind getting a colored stone with a halo. I think msflutter's (?) ruby ring is just fabulous.

ETA: I think I also like halos better on certain shapes than others.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. It''s for a sapphire and it''s a right hand ring.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
aha! That makes a difference. I was thinking e-ring. I don''t know which I''d consider more "classic" for a colored RHR. Sapphires surrounded by diamonds are beautiful in any case!
30.gif
(I would think Princess Diana''s ring would certainly be considered classic.)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It's ovalish, just over a carat.

mysapphire111.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
another shot, different light.

sapphire1111.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an oval sapphire ring with diamonds all around it. It''s not a halo, though.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I saw a Bez Ambar cushion-cut blue sapphire with a halo and it was to die for!!!!! I totally wanted that ring. I think your stone would look great as a halo, but either way, I''m sure it''ll be amazing
9.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe I could go for something like that diamondseeker. I don''t know, I have to go look at some settings which means dragging my five month old downtown with me. Things could get interesting with her around.
Anyway, again thanks for the comments.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
your sapphire looks beautiful. I love the color. Perfect.
have fun designing your ring. My vote is for the accent side stones over the halo. Although I think it would look really cool set east-west in a split shank with no sidestones.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sidestones would probably be more classic (though the last woman who commented on my halo ring the other day said she "loves victorian settings like that" so go figure) but for that sapphire a dainty diamond halo would set off that blue stone SO well!!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Now that you said that the ring in question is a gemstone, I say Halo all the way. I love the blue sapphires in a halo setting, the blue just pops!

alyson423

Rough_Rock
Nice stone! I think for a RHR, a diamond halo around a sapphire would be beautiful.

As far as "classic" looks for a round center stone go, I love tapered baguette sidestones, but then again, I''m totally biased (that''s what I have in my engagement ring).
31.gif
It might be too much of an "engagement" look for a RHR, though. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results