shape
carat
color
clarity

The e-ring is moving along! Custom Diamond Halo Engagement Ring and Band CADs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hello all,

just got the cads for the custom ering set that quest is doing for us.
I''ve read that the platinum usually looks much larger in the CADs than in the final product? I''m not sure if this halo may be a bit too thick? It''s really just a preference I guess, but I don''t think it can get much smaller. Sometimes I look at it and it looks great, sometimes it looks a bit overwhelming.. it seems to pulsate on me?
One possibility Quest suggested is to use smaller 1/2 pt (1mm) diamonds which they believe will be too small and may disappear among the beads.

Any opinions?
caveats: Milligraining will be applied to: the inside and outside edges of the halo, the edges of the shank all around the ring. the edges all around the diamonds on the eternity band. An engraved pattern of ivy or scroll work will go on the outside of the ering from the shoulder pave diamond to soulder pave diamond with a gap at the bottome for resizing. Engraving of the same pattern will be on both sides of the eternity ring. The outside of the halo is cast a bit thick in order to file it back. The basket for the setting is hand made so is not in the cad.

the shank for both rings measure 2mm, ring size 3, shank thickness 1.5mm, halo 10.5x10.3mm, thickness (not sure thickness of what) 1.8mm
i believe all the melee diamonds used will be 1 pointers (1.3mm) but i''ll have to clarify that.

0ering_cad01.jpg

0ering_cad02.jpg

0ering_cad03.jpg

our cushion sapphire measures ~5.7x5.6mm

thanks!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
That is just beautiful. I have a Halo too and I have 1pt''rs within my halo. They are small and I can''t imagine going any smaller. So I agree with their recommendation.

Can you post info on the center stone?

I love it and think it looks beautiful. I had mine custom made and it can be stressful. When I got my wax I thought it was big but the ring was actually very delicate. GL

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OOOH! OOOH! OOOH! I ADORE IT!

I wouldn''t change a THING! It''s hard sometimes to remember that the magnified photos we routinely see here are just that -- magnified and (much!) larger than life. It looks beautiful, and I think in person, it will be VERY delicate and just perfect!

YUM!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Lynn. It looks fabulous and the blocky diagrams don''t translate any of the delicate nature of a 2mm band. I really think you''ll be fine. Your sapphire is stunning.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I would not change a thing. It looks great, and 1 pointers are perfect for the halo. Any smaller would be too small IMO. I have 1 pointers in my halo and 2 pointers in my split-shank and wedding ring. Your ring with a sapphire center is going to be beautiful!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WOW - that''s gorgeous. Can''t wait to see the finished product!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Great CAD images! I can''t wait to see it with the milgrain! yum!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
That''ll be one heck of a ring when finished! Thanks for sharing!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The CADs - even the waxes - can be a little deceiving about scale. Looking at that I wouldn''t think the halo was only going to be 1 pointers, but knowing that the stones are 1 pointers means it will be delicate and not overpowering, so not to worry! I wouldn''t go down to 0.5 pointers.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks just wonderful as it is! It is a beautiful design and should be lovely when completed.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
Great, thanks for all the input! I''ve zoomed the images out when looking at them to see how they make look at actual size and it''s definitely a much different feel from the full size images. 1 pointers it is then!

I also verified that all the pave will be done with 1 pt diamonds f-g/vs. Tcw for ering is ,42ct, band .35ct.
surprise diamond is 1.7mm

here''s an image of the profile after modification as i felt that the shank was too uniform throughout:

0ering_cad04.jpg

As requested, here''s info on the center stone:
1.14 cushion sapphire

partly_cloudy_01.jpg

partly_cloudy_02.jpg

Thanks for the reassurances about the halo =)
I''ve pretty much told Quest to go ahead w/ the ring, although I''m afraid they''re probably on vacation until tuesday. Supposed to be done in a week and a half though!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, that is going to be fabulous. I love your stone, it''s such a pretty color. I can''t wait to see the finished product. You must be sooo excited!!!
36.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That looks great! At the moment I''m working on coming up w/ something similar.
Can''t wait to see the final result.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone - the ring is going to be amazing!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
That is a GORGEOUS Blue Sapphire!!! I love them and I am excited for you. I have a halo myself so you are making what would be a perfect ring for a lot of us!

Thanks for the pics and I can''t wait to see the final product!

Annette

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a goergous stone! This is going to be one stunning ring!

Lindsay

Rough_Rock
atroop711,

I would greatly appreciate if you could post a photo of your ring. I''m having the same halo issues. My sapphire is a bit smaller--5.2mm diameter--so I''m wondering if a 1.8mm halo will overwhelm the sapphire?

Londonblue, I can''t wait to see your finished ring. Please post ASAP. You have great taste!

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 1:51:12 AM
Author: Lindsay
atroop711,

I would greatly appreciate if you could post a photo of your ring. I''m having the same halo issues. My sapphire is a bit smaller--5.2mm diameter--so I''m wondering if a 1.8mm halo will overwhelm the sapphire?

Londonblue, I can''t wait to see your finished ring. Please post ASAP. You have great taste!

Thanks!
Lindsay,
If you start your own thread, you will get lots more help. You can do it in the colored stone forum or do it here. Best of luck.
1.gif
Welcome to PS
35.gif

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hi lindsay,
don''t you just love the search feature? sometimes i can''t even find threads i know are there! =)
link to photos of the finished ring here
complete specs are buried in there somewhere.

i think our halo was 1.5mm, using 1pt diamonds
if you''re doing a bezel setting, the bezel will shrink the face up size of your stone a bit too

the best method to figure out the measurement you want for your halo is to check out images of halos that you like, and then measure the width of the entire halo from bezel to halo edge and find out how many "halo widths" will fit across your stone. I found my preferred halo width was approx 1/4 to 1/5 the size of the gemstone which translated to about 1mm to 1.5mm

the problem with smaller center stones is that your halo can only visually get so small unless you start dropping things like milligraining or changing to prongs

i''m still want to go back to tiffany''s and check out the .3ct legacy ring i saw and see exactly what the proportions of its halo was. =)

good luck, and bring photos when it''s done!
and start a new thread to get more input and images - there''s nothing like it when you have a whole mass of diamond and halo crazed pricescopers at work for you
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results