shape
carat
color
clarity

Part of my collection ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
23.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
just.... WOW!!! thank you so much for taking the time to share!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2005 10:30:26 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Yes, I second Gary's request for closer pics--of course I am biased toward those Imperial babies.........
1.gif

cheers--Sharon
Topaz for Sharon (sorry it's not better, the photo was blurry when when I resized it) :

TopazPS.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

WOW WHAT A BEAUTIFUL RAINBOW!!!! this is an amazing collection! Iwould be so afraid of losing loose stones! I would love to start a collection,.... hehehe

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gem, what a stunning collection! I wanted to ask you a bit about zircons. I bought a pair of vintage earrings with round zircons that make a flower shape. they might be from the ''50''s...the blue is very pretty and sort of bright aqua. they were not expensive and are from a local boutique that has a part owner who likes to sell antique and vintage stuff. I was told that zircons are nice stones, and I got them because I have seen them listed as one of the stone choices for the month of December, which is my birth month. (I have also seen turquoise, tanzanite, blue topaz and aquamarines listed too)...just curious what you know and your wife must have fun playing with those gorgeous stones! How do you decide which ones to set and how to set them? Inquiring minds want to know!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Sophie, for digging up this old thread. I found PS only recently, and have wanted to know more about GemLctr''s collection since spotting his avatar (and his blue diamond pics!
30.gif
).

GemKlctr, please do post more more pictures when you have a chance!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Drooling again.
9.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! I enjoyed looking at my collection too.
2.gif
I haven''t seen many of those gems in a while as most are in storage right now. I have tried to post additional photos, but couldn''t get the ones I have resized small enough with sufficient resolution to work. When I set up the case again, I will take more photos and try again to post.

diamondfan, I really like blue zircon because it''s the next closest gem to my favorite - blue diamonds. There are several nice ones in my case, especially the square cushion. As for setting decisions, most are based on one of 3 criteria: either (i) it''s a major gem that I would not feel comfortable leaving lying around in the case but want to display somehow, (ii) I have a matched set of stones that would make a nice matched set of jewelry, or (iii) I''ve acquired a gem that someone in the family really wants to wear. As for choosing the settings, some are purchased from vendors like Stuller (often with modifications); others I design and have made.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! That is one fantastic array of stones! You know my personal favorite ("Big Blue"!) but they are all georgous!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Your collection is amazing :)
Whats the stone in the ring on your wifes top middle finger? It''s a peachy colored cab.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 11:29:08 AM
Author: innerkitten
Your collection is amazing :)
Whats the stone in the ring on your wifes top middle finger? It''s a peachy colored cab.
Thanks. The stone is actually a pink tourmaline. It''s not peachy in real life, but that whole photo has an orange cast to it, as you can see in the skin tone.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Found another closeup previously posted in a different thread. Starting from the bottom left is a color change garnet, not sure what family. To its right are 4 spessartites. The row above, l-r, is: 2 lemonites (yellow-green grossular), 2 demantoid (russian and US), and 2 "magic blue" color change from the find a number of years ago in Madagascar, I believe. Above that is a row of 5 different colors of what some would call tsavorite (although, unlike a certain auction site, I wouldn''t so classify the pear on the left). Above that is a malaia, a grape, a hessionite, and a mandarin (spessartite). Then a pair of oval rhodolites and an almandite (I think, but haven''t confirmed) on top.

GarnetsRedux.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
And another. From the top left: 13ct lab ruby, 3+ct Kanchanaburi sapphire, 3+ct diffusion treated star sapphire, 2+ct lab pink sapphire; second row: blue star, 1.5ct blue sapphire, 1.6ct golden sapphire, 1.4ct burma ruby, star ruby third row: African ruby, yellow sapphire trilliant, marquise padparadscha (African), natural pink sapphire fourth row: 2 blue/pink bicolor sapphires, blue/yellow/blue tricolor sapphire, colorless sapphire, and blue ceylon sapphire.

CorundumsPS.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GK -- sorry if this is already known here, but do you have a background in geology or gemology?
1.gif
What sparked your interest in collecting?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 3:14:02 PM
Author: KristyDarling
GK -- sorry if this is already known here, but do you have a background in geology or gemology?
1.gif
What sparked your interest in collecting?
Like any good lawyer, when I first decided to get engaged I did my research (back in the stone age before PS
2.gif
). I was fascinated by what I learned about diamonds and was fortunate to find a vendor, who is now a close friend, who took me under his wing. I started with diamonds, then began to add colored stones.

I''m not nearly as educated about the science of gemology as many of the even non-professional posters here, especially the GGs and people like Ana, Storm and Belle (and a number of others). But, it''s a hobby I enjoy, and I hope to learn more about it when professional demands are reduced.

BTY, I read your profile. Interesting life! Thanks for sharing and good luck with the career issues.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
OK, let's try another. All stones are diamonds: bottom row are natural champagne, cognac and orange. middle row are all enhanced except the white on the far left. top row: .6ct H color old mine cut (or it may be cut out of the photo and this is just a same size round brilliant), 2 enhanced black diamond dice, enhanced blue-green round, 1.0ct enhanced blue princess, enhanced yellow and .85ct enhanced blue.

DiamondsPS.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy Smokes what a collection. I am drooling all over my keyboard here. Your gems are absolutely gorgeous, I love them. I adore all of your wife''s rings too. If she ever gets tired of them, I will gladly take them.
9.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for sharing! I think I''m going to have dreams about all these gemstones!!!

NYbella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 3:10:24 PM
Author: GemKlctr
And another. From the top left: 13ct lab ruby, 3+ct Kanchanaburi sapphire, 3+ct diffusion treated star sapphire, 2+ct lab pink sapphire; second row: blue star, 1.5ct blue sapphire, 1.6ct golden sapphire, 1.4ct burma ruby, star ruby third row: African ruby, yellow sapphire trilliant, marquise padparadscha (African), natural pink sapphire fourth row: 2 blue/pink bicolor sapphires, blue/yellow/blue tricolor sapphire, colorless sapphire, and blue ceylon sapphire.
That is a big collection. I have always loved minerals and gems...How long has it taken for you to acquire all of these stones? And how did u acquire them...through travels? Are some online purchases? I love having loose stones but I can''t just look at them after awhile, they are too beautiful, I eventually want to wear them and have them set.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2006 12:27:57 AM
Author: NYbella

That is a big collection. I have always loved minerals and gems...How long has it taken for you to acquire all of these stones? And how did u acquire them...through travels? Are some online purchases? I love having loose stones but I can''t just look at them after awhile, they are too beautiful, I eventually want to wear them and have them set.
I''ve been collecting for about 20 years, but more seriously the last 10-12 years. I get the stones from gem shows, local and online dealers, and even ebay on occasion.

I hear you on setting them. I was acquiring more than I could afford to set so I started displaying the unset gems. Now I generally only set gems bought for that purpose and some of my major diamonds and other serious stones that are too expensive to warrant casual display. That way, family members get to wear them rather than hiding them away in a safe deposit box all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results