shape
carat
color
clarity

chipped culet, a big issue or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first appraisal on my RB 1.75 J stone came back with the notation "Chip on culet". The clarity was dinged, which I assume is correct. It was sold as a VS1 but became a VS2 for this reason according to the gemologist. We can only see 2 minor inclusions with the loupe, but the culet chip is nearly impossible to see. Does this significantly lower the value of the stone? I have read that this sort of thing could be fixed, but why would I want to do that, and is that even advisable if it''s not noticeable to me?

I feel we got a fair deal, considering that the stone otherwise has an excellent cut and is just so clear. I haven''t seen in person, a higher colour graded stone of this size with the same sparkle and fire and clarity. I''ve seen much more expensive stones, in higher colours, etc., but at 3 times the price and not worth the difference to my personal tastes. My husband though, is worried about this culet issue. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results