shape
carat
color
clarity

EMERALD CUT QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock

19.gif
Hi

I have a emerald cut stone, with side round/baquette set bar setting (the emerald is set basket setting) sometimes in photos the emerald appears grey, does not show up sparkly like my wedding band with is shared prong set round stones.

Also the other day I was on a bus at night and there was a small bit of overhead lighting. Right in the middle of the ring going horizontally looked like a bar of grey area (hard to explain)

Can you tell me why this is?

Thanks

Here are the specs

8.30x5.55x3.92mm

1.53 carats

Depth 70.6
Table 72%
Girdle Thin To Medium
Cutlet None
Polish very good
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS1
Color F
GIA 10433106

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be the bow tie effect you are noticing with the darker area in the middle. I will post a link of a pic for you to see in a moment. Also Emerald cuts can perform differently to rounds, very beautiful in their own right ( I love 'em!) but they don't " sparkle" as much as a round, they handle light differently. All diamonds look different according to the ambient light, they can exhibit many " personalities" such as white and sparkly, duller and white, bright and firey, even dark in bright sunlight, it could be this you are noticing. I am sure you have nothing to worry about especially if this is a diamond you purchased a while back, but it is good to learn more, enjoy it - it sounds wonderful and we do love pics here!!!!

Here is a link that shows the bow tie effect. Many fancy cuts that are long in shape such as EC's, pears,marquise etc can show this.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/ShapeTips/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results